4.16 M1 milestone week reminders

Mat Booth
Hi all,

Next week is the milestone week for 4.16M1.

Monday: Last day of development (and even then, no "big changes"). After Monday 18:00 ET, no feature work or unrelated fixes are allowed -- only regression fixes.

Tuesday: All-day test pass. Nobody should develop or fix anything. Literally spend the entire day testing.

Wednesday: Fix day with a focus on fixing regressions found during the test day (Tuesday). No unrelated fixes. Review and thoroughly test all commits.
* The last Wednesday build is the release candidate every team signs off on Thursday.
* The "New and Noteworthy" entries are due on Wednesday evening:
Git repo: ssh://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/www.eclipse.org/eclipse/news.git
Gerrit: ssh://git.eclipse.org:29418/www.eclipse.org/eclipse/news.git
Live website: https://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/news/4.16/

Thursday: Sign-off after re-testing, or at least confirming no changes have been made to your component's code since the last time the component was tested well.

Friday: Build is officially declared and made available.
* The master branch stays closed until the milestone is officially released. (That is, it is not enough that your component has signed off.)

Many thanks,
Mat

SWT Resources should dispose itself to avoid native handle leaks

Conrad Groth
Hi all,

In a huge RCP product I recently did a SWT leak anylsis with SLeak on Windows and I found a lot of not properly disposed resources. I'm doing this leak analysis on a regular basis and despite code-reviews, trainings, etc. I find new resource leaks every time.

I think that many Java developers are so used to the comfort of garbage collection, that they easily forget about the special care they have to take with SWT resources. And why shouldn't SWT also rely on the garbage collection and make lifes of thousands of developers easier?

In bug 561782 I propose a solution for SWT resources to dipose themself. Before continuing this work I want to hear your general opinion on that. And I need some Linux and Mac experts, that can tell me whether the same problem exists there as well. From the source it looks like GTK and Cocoa have the same issue as the Font class also has a handle on these OS.

Best regards
Conrad Groth