API Tooling

Jonah Graham
Hello folks,

Over the weekend due to some confusion about Java version dependencies and where/if the errors should be picked up we identified that some of CDTs bundles did not have API Tooling enabled. This is an oversight that makes it difficult to identify when API gets broken by simple changes.

For CDT 10 M3 and beyond API Tooling will be enabled on all bundles to make it easier to understand how we may have changed API for our consumers. Note that for experimental and preview bundles (as marked in their name) this does not change the stability of those APIs.

See Bug 566334 for more details and to add your comments.

Kichwa Coders

Re: API Tooling

Liviu Ionescu-2

> On 24 Aug 2020, at 22:42, Jonah Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ... some of CDTs bundles did not have API Tooling enabled. ...

I discovered that this is part of Eclipse Plugin Development Environment (PDE), but a quick explanation would help to understand what this means.

Thank you,

Liviu

Re: API Tooling

Jonah Graham

On Mon, 24 Aug 2020 at 15:55, Liviu Ionescu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 24 Aug 2020, at 22:42, Jonah Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ... some of CDTs bundles did not have API Tooling enabled. ...

I discovered that this is part of Eclipse Plugin Development Environment (PDE), but a quick explanation would help to understand what this means.

API Tools is the part of PDE that verifies that you have maintained your API contract as compared to your previous releases. e.g. it will give you an error to tell you to increment the minor version if you introduce a new method in a public API class. If you remove a method it will tell you to increment the major version number.

There is more info on https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse/API_Central  - in particular https://wiki.eclipse.org/Evolving_Java-based_APIs_2 for what breaks and is compatible API.

HTH,
Jonah

Thank you,

Liviu

Re: API Tooling

Liviu Ionescu-2

On Tue, 25 Aug 2020 at 00:08, Jonah Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ... verifies that you have maintained your API contract as compared to your previous releases. ...

Now all it remains to figure out is how to use it for Embed CDT...

Thank you,

Liviu

--
Sent from my iPad via Gmail.