Accessibility (Screen Reader)

Thomas Singer
Hi,

In our SWT based application we are using a lot of owner-drawn tables.
How we can provide information about selected rows (in compact and
detailed form) to a screen reader? I've tried something like

   table.getAccessible().addAccessible*Listener(new Accessible*() {
   });

but none of the listeners seems to make a change. Our tables still are
read as "1 of 197" in NVDA.

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer

Re: Accessibility (Screen Reader)

Niraj Modi

Hi Thomas,
It should works on similar lines as below snippet from SWT snippets https://www.eclipse.org/swt/snippets/ :
https://git.eclipse.org/c/platform/eclipse.platform.swt.git/tree/examples/org.eclipse.swt.snippets/src/org/eclipse/swt/snippets/Snippet162.java

You could also take clues from other snippets from Accessibility section.
If it doesn't work-out, then share an example Snippet for your use-case ?

Regards,
Niraj Modi
Inactive hide details for Thomas Singer ---17-06-2020 01:47:00 PM---Hi, In our SWT based application we are using a lot of owneThomas Singer ---17-06-2020 01:47:00 PM---Hi, In our SWT based application we are using a lot of owner-drawn tables.

From: Thomas Singer <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Date: 17-06-2020 01:47 PM
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [platform-dev] Accessibility (Screen Reader)
Sent by: [hidden email]

Hi,

In our SWT based application we are using a lot of owner-drawn tables.
How we can provide information about selected rows (in compact and
detailed form) to a screen reader? I've tried something like

  table.getAccessible().addAccessible*Listener(new Accessible*() {
  });

but none of the listeners seems to make a change. Our tables still are
read as "1 of 197" in NVDA.

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer

Re: Accessibility (Screen Reader)

Thomas Singer
Hi Niraj,

Thanks for answering. The problem with this snippet is, that it uses
"normal" table items, not owner drawn ones. Attached is a snippet with
owner draw. It would be interesting how I can tell the screen reader the
"text name/value" of a row. Thanks in advance.

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer

OwnerDrawnTable.java (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Accessibility (Screen Reader)

Thomas Singer
Is there some documentation available how to get make SWT accessible,
especially owner-drawn controls (tables, trees)?

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer

On 2020-06-26 09:07, Thomas Singer wrote:
> Hi Niraj,
>
> Thanks for answering. The problem with this snippet is, that it uses
> "normal" table items, not owner drawn ones. Attached is a snippet with
> owner draw. It would be interesting how I can tell the screen reader the
> "text name/value" of a row. Thanks in advance.

Re: Accessibility (Screen Reader)

Niraj Modi

Hi Thomas,
Your snippet doesn't work out of the box with JAWS screen reader.
Looks like you need to explicitly add the support for owner drawn Table to be Accessible.

Sharing with you some Accessible APIs which seems related to Table:
table.getAccessible().addAccessibleTableListener(new AccessibleTableListener() {});
table.getAccessible().addAccessibleTableCellListener(new AccessibleTableCellListener() {});

We don't have an example handy, so you will have to experiment with these Listeners.

For Tree please check if below snippet helps:
https://git.eclipse.org/c/platform/eclipse.platform.swt.git/tree/examples/org.eclipse.swt.snippets/src/org/eclipse/swt/snippets/Snippet291.java

Regards,
Niraj Modi
Inactive hide details for Thomas Singer ---03-07-2020 04:21:28 PM---Is there some documentation available how to get make SWT aThomas Singer ---03-07-2020 04:21:28 PM---Is there some documentation available how to get make SWT accessible, especially owner-drawn contro

From: Thomas Singer <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Date: 03-07-2020 04:21 PM
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [platform-dev] Accessibility (Screen Reader)