Apple is moving to ARM processors

Steve Darnell

Greetings,

Apple announced at WWDC that it is moving away from Intel x86 processors in favor of its own ARM-based processors: https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-gives-macs-a-brain-transplant-with-new-arm-chips/

Has this been discussed in the Eclipse Platform dev community yet? If so, what will the road map look like for macOS arm/aarch64 support?

Best regards,

Steve

Re: Apple is moving to ARM processors

Nitin Dahyabhai-4
I would still like to see a JDK for Windows on aarch64 as a precursor to Eclipse on that platform, and those systems have been shipping for over two years.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 12:26 PM Steve Darnell <[hidden email]> wrote:

Greetings,

Apple announced at WWDC that it is moving away from Intel x86 processors in favor of its own ARM-based processors: https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-gives-macs-a-brain-transplant-with-new-arm-chips/

Has this been discussed in the Eclipse Platform dev community yet? If so, what will the road map look like for macOS arm/aarch64 support?

Best regards,

Steve

Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse WTP PMC

Re: Apple is moving to ARM processors

Aleksandar Kurtakov

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 10:20 PM Nitin Dahyabhai <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would still like to see a JDK for Windows on aarch64 as a precursor to Eclipse on that platform, and those systems have been shipping for over two years.

We have builds for for Linux/aarch64 in Fedora [1] for years already and the sources are upstreamed too but no binaries available from eclipse.org as this requires build machines being available and attached to platform releng JIPP. Even if Eclipse foundation was providing dedicated agents (which is not the case AFAIK) - Red Hat and IBM exhausted the dedicated agents they have so we will need either someone providing ssh to a machine or spending one of their dedicated agents from the foundation membership for this.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 12:26 PM Steve Darnell <[hidden email]> wrote:

Greetings,

Apple announced at WWDC that it is moving away from Intel x86 processors in favor of its own ARM-based processors: https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-gives-macs-a-brain-transplant-with-new-arm-chips/

Has this been discussed in the Eclipse Platform dev community yet? If so, what will the road map look like for macOS arm/aarch64 support?

Best regards,

Steve

Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse WTP PMC

Alexander Kurtakov
Red Hat Eclipse Team

Re: Apple is moving to ARM processors

Ned Twigg
Also, Windows is taking up ARM64 development for OpenJDK on Windows:

Hopefully some of that is relevant to ARM-native JDK on Apple.  Apple claims that Rosetta 2 will allow x86 JITs to run fine on their ARM silicon, but there will surely be a performance penalty.

Ned Twigg
Lead Software Architect, DiffPlug LLC
540-336-8043 (cell)
888-513-6870 (fax)
340 S Lemon Ave #343
3, Walnut, CA 91789

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 12:26 PM Aleksandar Kurtakov <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Mikaël Barbero-3
Just a quick note that *anyone* can provide an external agent. If a community member offers a aarch64 machine (be it in the cloud or kind of "a tower under the desk"), we can add it as an agent. Of course, the "contribution" should be validated by the committers' team.

Cheers,

Mikaël Barbero
Team Lead - Release Engineering | Eclipse Foundation
🐦 @mikbarbero