BIRT Newsgroup 10,000

portal on behalf of Scott Rosenbaum
Gentleman,

The BIRT newsgroup is at 7,400 messages and should cross through the
10,000 message mark sometime in late June / early July.   According to
the Eclipse Project Dashboard, we are the only project getting four
green lights for newsgroup.  We are averaging about 50 new newsgroup
posts per day, with a fairly consistent response rate.  Fortunately,
much of the newsgroup coverage is done by volunteers.

Unfortunately, the result of all this success is that the newsgroup is
so large that it is pretty difficult to find the information that one
needs.  It is great as a place to get a question answered, but it is
difficult to use as a source of information.  I wonder if there are
steps that we can take to organize or annotate the newsgroup that can
add more value to the messages that are on the newsgroup.

I know the first answer would be to add some sub-headings to the group,
so instead of having one big bucket of posts we had a number of smaller
buckets that were logically arranged by subject matter.  I think that
this might be a good idea, but I am not sure that this really solves the
problem.  It is a short term solution at any level.

I think a preferable method would to be able to somehow tag the
newsgroup messages with meta-data about the posts and then be able to
expose the information about the posts.  I am thinking something like
del.icio.us might be appropriate.

My questions for all of you:
    - Do you have any experience with the management/organization of
large newsgroups?
    - Do you know of anyone that might be a good reference on this?
    - Do any of you use del.icio.us and have any feedback on its usage?
    - Has anyone heard of any promising technology for the management of
newsgroup information?

My goal is to have some type of organizational structure that we can put
on the BIRT newsgroup in place before we cross through the 10,000 post mark.

Scott

Re: BIRT Newsgroup 10,000

Michael Fox

Sorry, but I don't know much about managing large newsgroups. The one request I have though, is that it continue to work with the web browser interface since that is how i use it.

        Mike

Scott Rosenbaum <[hidden email]>
Sent by: [hidden email]

03/14/2006 11:13 AM

Please respond to
"BIRT PMC communications (including coordination, announcements,  and Group discussions)" <[hidden email]>

BIRT PMC <[hidden email]>
cc
Subject
[birt-pmc] BIRT Newsgroup 10,000