Building a JDT distribution

Gayan Perera
Hi All,

I'm working on some JDT fixes, and i would like to get them into my daily driver eclipse installation. How can i do that ? I thought of building the platform sdk and add that repository to update my JDT parts in the eclipse. But it there is more easy and less time consuming way to do that ?

BR
Gayan.

Re: Building a JDT distribution

Stephan Herrmann-2
The simplest approach should be:
- export the JDT feature from Eclipse using the Export wizard
- install it into your existing installation from there

This may depend on what kind of installation you are basing of. I'm not sure JDT
alone can be updated in package installations?

HTH
Stephan

On 29.02.20 10:49, Gayan Perera wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm working on some JDT fixes, and i would like to get them into my daily driver
> eclipse installation. How can i do that ? I thought of building the platform sdk
> and add that repository to update my JDT parts in the eclipse. But it there is
> more easy and less time consuming way to do that ?
>
> BR
> Gayan.

Re: Building a JDT distribution

Gayan Perera
Hi Stephan,

I'm currently running a M3 build for "Eclipse IDE for Java Developers". I will try your suggestion and see.

Best regards,
Gayan.

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 3:33 PM Stephan Herrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
The simplest approach should be:
- export the JDT feature from Eclipse using the Export wizard
- install it into your existing installation from there

This may depend on what kind of installation you are basing of. I'm not sure JDT
alone can be updated in package installations?

HTH
Stephan

On 29.02.20 10:49, Gayan Perera wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm working on some JDT fixes, and i would like to get them into my daily driver
> eclipse installation. How can i do that ? I thought of building the platform sdk
> and add that repository to update my JDT parts in the eclipse. But it there is
> more easy and less time consuming way to do that ?
>
> BR
> Gayan.

Re: Building a JDT distribution

Gayan Perera
Hi Stepan,

I tried your suggestion, but the install dialog does not show any content to install.

Best regards,
Gayan.

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 3:33 PM Stephan Herrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
The simplest approach should be:
- export the JDT feature from Eclipse using the Export wizard
- install it into your existing installation from there

This may depend on what kind of installation you are basing of. I'm not sure JDT
alone can be updated in package installations?

HTH
Stephan

On 29.02.20 10:49, Gayan Perera wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm working on some JDT fixes, and i would like to get them into my daily driver
> eclipse installation. How can i do that ? I thought of building the platform sdk
> and add that repository to update my JDT parts in the eclipse. But it there is
> more easy and less time consuming way to do that ?
>
> BR
> Gayan.

Re: Building a JDT distribution

Ed Merks-2

I tried it (epxort deployable feature to a repository) but it has one error:

. ERROR in C:\user-home\platform-sdk-4.14\git\eclipse.jdt.ui\org.eclipse.jdt.ui\ui\org\eclipse\jdt\internal\ui\javaeditor\codemining\JavaMethodParameterCodeMining.java (at line 34)
    text.append('…');

I guess it would better if JDT's source didn't rely on the correct encoding, i.e., UTF-8.

Note that the repository it makes has no categories items.  You could create a site.xml to include the JDT feature such that it is categorized and build that instead. In any case, likely the dialog is empty because you have "Group Items by category" checked and there are no categories. If I uncheck that I do see the JDT feature listed...

Regards,
Ed

On 29.02.2020 22:31, Gayan Perera wrote:
Hi Stepan,

I tried your suggestion, but the install dialog does not show any content to install.

Best regards,
Gayan.

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 3:33 PM Stephan Herrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
The simplest approach should be:
- export the JDT feature from Eclipse using the Export wizard
- install it into your existing installation from there

This may depend on what kind of installation you are basing of. I'm not sure JDT
alone can be updated in package installations?

HTH
Stephan

On 29.02.20 10:49, Gayan Perera wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm working on some JDT fixes, and i would like to get them into my daily driver
> eclipse installation. How can i do that ? I thought of building the platform sdk
> and add that repository to update my JDT parts in the eclipse. But it there is
> more easy and less time consuming way to do that ?
>
> BR
> Gayan.

Re: Building a JDT distribution

Gayan Perera
Hi Ed,

I tried unchecking as well. May i need to have a site xml. Can you share the changes you did to get it working in install dialog ?

Br.
Gayan

On Sun, 1 Mar 2020 at 06:30, Ed Merks <[hidden email]> wrote:

I tried it (epxort deployable feature to a repository) but it has one error:

. ERROR in C:\user-home\platform-sdk-4.14\git\eclipse.jdt.ui\org.eclipse.jdt.ui\ui\org\eclipse\jdt\internal\ui\javaeditor\codemining\JavaMethodParameterCodeMining.java (at line 34)
    text.append('…');

I guess it would better if JDT's source didn't rely on the correct encoding, i.e., UTF-8.

Note that the repository it makes has no categories items.  You could create a site.xml to include the JDT feature such that it is categorized and build that instead. In any case, likely the dialog is empty because you have "Group Items by category" checked and there are no categories. If I uncheck that I do see the JDT feature listed...

Regards,
Ed

On 29.02.2020 22:31, Gayan Perera wrote:
Hi Stepan,

I tried your suggestion, but the install dialog does not show any content to install.

Best regards,
Gayan.

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 3:33 PM Stephan Herrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
The simplest approach should be:
- export the JDT feature from Eclipse using the Export wizard
- install it into your existing installation from there

This may depend on what kind of installation you are basing of. I'm not sure JDT
alone can be updated in package installations?

HTH
Stephan

On 29.02.20 10:49, Gayan Perera wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm working on some JDT fixes, and i would like to get them into my daily driver
> eclipse installation. How can i do that ? I thought of building the platform sdk
> and add that repository to update my JDT parts in the eclipse. But it there is
> more easy and less time consuming way to do that ?
>
> BR
> Gayan.

Re: Building a JDT distribution

Ed Merks-2

Gayan,

I didn't make any changes.  I just have an environment that I set up using this approach:

  https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Platform_SDK_Provisioning

But all that's important I think is that all of JDT is in the workspace.

Did you export it like this?

Does your repository folder look like this?

Does the content.jar contain a unit like this?

    <unit id='org.eclipse.jdt.feature.group' version='3.18.300.202003010607' singleton='false'>
      <update id='org.eclipse.jdt.feature.group' range='[0.0.0,3.18.300.202003010607)' severity='0'/>

Regards,
Ed

On 01.03.2020 09:52, Gayan Perera wrote:
Hi Ed,

I tried unchecking as well. May i need to have a site xml. Can you share the changes you did to get it working in install dialog ?

Br.
Gayan

On Sun, 1 Mar 2020 at 06:30, Ed Merks <[hidden email]> wrote:

I tried it (epxort deployable feature to a repository) but it has one error:

. ERROR in C:\user-home\platform-sdk-4.14\git\eclipse.jdt.ui\org.eclipse.jdt.ui\ui\org\eclipse\jdt\internal\ui\javaeditor\codemining\JavaMethodParameterCodeMining.java (at line 34)
    text.append('…');

I guess it would better if JDT's source didn't rely on the correct encoding, i.e., UTF-8.

Note that the repository it makes has no categories items.  You could create a site.xml to include the JDT feature such that it is categorized and build that instead. In any case, likely the dialog is empty because you have "Group Items by category" checked and there are no categories. If I uncheck that I do see the JDT feature listed...

Regards,
Ed

On 29.02.2020 22:31, Gayan Perera wrote:
Hi Stepan,

I tried your suggestion, but the install dialog does not show any content to install.

Best regards,
Gayan.

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 3:33 PM Stephan Herrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
The simplest approach should be:
- export the JDT feature from Eclipse using the Export wizard
- install it into your existing installation from there

This may depend on what kind of installation you are basing of. I'm not sure JDT
alone can be updated in package installations?

HTH
Stephan

On 29.02.20 10:49, Gayan Perera wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm working on some JDT fixes, and i would like to get them into my daily driver
> eclipse installation. How can i do that ? I thought of building the platform sdk
> and add that repository to update my JDT parts in the eclipse. But it there is
> more easy and less time consuming way to do that ?
>
> BR
> Gayan.

Re: Building a JDT distribution

Gayan Perera
Hi Ed,
I think that makes sense. Thanks i will try this approach.

Best regards,
Gayan.

On 01.03.20 06:29, Ed Merks wrote:
> I tried it (epxort deployable feature to a repository) but it has one error:
>
> . ERROR in
> C:\user-home\platform-sdk-4.14\git\eclipse.jdt.ui\org.eclipse.jdt.ui\ui\org\eclipse\jdt\internal\ui\javaeditor\codemining\JavaMethodParameterCodeMining.java
> (at line 34)
>      text.append('…');
>
> I guess it would better if JDT's source didn't rely on the correct encoding,
> i.e., UTF-8.

the project has a org.eclipse.core.resources.prefs with this:

eclipse.preferences.version=1
encoding/<project>=UTF-8

Shouldn't that suffice?

Stephan

Re: Building a JDT distribution

Ed Merks-2
Stephan,

Normally I would think so but I don't know how it's compiled (i.e., how
are project-specific options respected during the export compilation?)
because the log definitely has this:

# 3/1/20 6:08:01 AM CET
# Eclipse Compiler for Java(TM) v20200130-1031, 3.21.0, Copyright IBM
Corp 2000, 2015. All rights reserved.
----------

33. ERROR in
C:\user-home\platform-sdk-4.14\git\eclipse.jdt.ui\org.eclipse.jdt.ui\ui\org\eclipse\jdt\internal\ui\javaeditor\codemining\JavaMethodParameterCodeMining.java
(at line 34)
     text.append('…');
                 ^^^^^
Invalid character constant

So it seems that whatever encoding is used in the workspace is not the
same encoding that's used during the export compilation...

But I have no idea what's going on under the covers during this export
operation...

Regards,
Ed