C++14 generic lambda support

Nathan Ridge
I have implemented support for C++14 generic lambdas in bug 516627.

This ended up being significantly easier than I thought it would be; the whole patch is only around 200 lines of code, about half of which are tests.

Are there any objections to committing this support to the master branch (targeting 9.3 / Oxygen)? I know we are technically past the "feature freeze" date, but this is a small and low-risk patch, and generic lambdas are a popular C++14 feature that I feel the user community would appreciate being able to use sooner rather than later.

Thanks,
Nate

Re: C++14 generic lambda support

Nathan Ridge
> Are there any objections to committing this support to the master
> branch (targeting 9.3 / Oxygen)? I know we are technically past the
> "feature freeze" date, but this is a small and low-risk patch

I should also mention that the patch does not introduce any new public APIs.

Regards,
Nate

Re: C++14 generic lambda support

Corbat Thomas
Generic lambda expressions had been accepted syntactically by the parser before. Therefore, I think we can consider the lack of supporting their semantics a bug.

I would appreciate having this in Oxygen.

Re: C++14 generic lambda support

Jonah Graham
+1 for CDT 9.3.

On 17 May 2017 07:05, "Corbat Thomas" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Generic lambda expressions had been accepted syntactically by the parser before. Therefore, I think we can consider the lack of supporting their semantics a bug.

I would appreciate having this in Oxygen.

Re: C++14 generic lambda support

Avi Kivity
I'd love to see this support (as a git master user), especially if it
includes support for init-captures.

On 05/17/2017 08:41 AM, Nathan Ridge wrote:

> I have implemented support for C++14 generic lambdas in bug 516627.
>
> This ended up being significantly easier than I thought it would be; the whole patch is only around 200 lines of code, about half of which are tests.
>
> Are there any objections to committing this support to the master branch (targeting 9.3 / Oxygen)? I know we are technically past the "feature freeze" date, but this is a small and low-risk patch, and generic lambdas are a popular C++14 feature that I feel the user community would appreciate being able to use sooner rather than later.
>
> Thanks,
> Nate

Re: C++14 generic lambda support

Nathan Ridge
> I'd love to see this support (as a git master user), especially if it
> includes support for init-captures.

Init-captures are a separate C++14 feature that will be a bit more involved to implement.

It's the next C++14 feature I plan to work on, but it will not make Oxygen.

Regards,
Nate

Re: C++14 generic lambda support

Doug Schaefer-3
Yeah, it¹s a bit late for something big. If we have a number of these over
the summer, then it would be reasonable to do 9.4 for Oxygen.1.

On 2017-05-17, 11:05 AM, "[hidden email] on behalf of Nathan
Ridge" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]>

On 05/17/2017 06:05 PM, Nathan Ridge wrote:
>> I'd love to see this support (as a git master user), especially if it
>> includes support for init-captures.
> Init-captures are a separate C++14 feature that will be a bit more involved to implement.
>
> It's the next C++14 feature I plan to work on, but it will not make Oxygen.

Thanks for the clarification. I consume cdt from git, so I don't care
about which element it lands in. I'll be happy to test patches, too.

Re: C++14 generic lambda support

Doug Schaefer-3
+1

On 2017-05-17, 2:04 AM, "[hidden email] on behalf of Corbat
Thomas" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]>