Quantcast

CDT Call Tomorrow (Tues)

Doug Schaefer-3
Hey gang, first Tues of the month hits us quickly. Don’t have much for an agenda, but open to talk about anything.

See you there,
Doug.

Re: CDT Call Tomorrow (Tues)

Jonah Graham
Hi Doug,

We're trying to dial in from the UK, but the conference phone number is not working.
  • UK 0800-033-7806

Kichwa Coders Ltd.
www.kichwacoders.com

On 2 May 2017 at 03:55, Doug Schaefer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey gang, first Tues of the month hits us quickly. Don’t have much for an agenda, but open to talk about anything.

See you there,
Doug.

Re: CDT Call Tomorrow (Tues)

William Riley

Hi Doug, Jonah

Also having the same issue, the number just goes to voice mail.

Regards

William

We're trying to dial in from the UK, but the conference phone number is not working.

·         UK 0800-033-7806

Kichwa Coders Ltd.
www.kichwacoders.com

On 2 May 2017 at 03:55, Doug Schaefer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey gang, first Tues of the month hits us quickly. Don’t have much for an agenda, but open to talk about anything.

See you there,

Doug.

Renesas Electronics Europe Ltd, Dukes Meadow, Millboard Road, Bourne End, Buckinghamshire, SL8 5FH, UK. Registered in England & Wales under Registered No. 04586709.

Re: CDT Call Tomorrow (Tues)

Mikhail Khodjaiants-4

I’m dialing 1-866-569 4992 and it’s not working either.

Re: CDT Call Tomorrow (Tues)

Doug Schaefer-3
Same here from Ottawa. Sounds like someone took over the number.

Re: CDT Call Tomorrow (Tues)

Doug Schaefer-3
We could start a Google Hangout?

From: Doug Schaefer <[hidden email]>
Date: Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 11:03 AM
To: "CDT General developers list." <[hidden email]>

Same here from Ottawa. Sounds like someone took over the number.

Re: CDT Call Tomorrow (Tues)

Doug Schaefer-3
Apologies to all for the failed teleconference. The hangout went OK except for the normal glitches that these things usually end up having. I’ll work with the Eclipse IT gang to see if we can get it restored. (BTW, just received word McQ ran into the same thing for his call).

I’ll do a quick minutes here:
  • The biggest item was Jeff’s plan to introduce a patch that enables build and debug inside Docker containers. He’s going to give us a demo at some point and produce the patch. We’ll try to get it into Oxygen, but time is getting tight.
    • I also wonder if this leads us to one of the whole grail of remote projects done correctly. It would be cool to support the Windows Subsystem for Linux over ssh reusing some of this code as an example.
  • Jonah has some API changes coming for DSF to help with custom integrations.
  • Oxygen M7 is just under two weeks away. Other than Jeff’s Docker stuff and Jonah’s API work, not sure what else people are doing feature-wise, but make sure it’s done by then. I’m just bug fixing as I use CMake for some things. There might be some Qt changes coming as well, but probably not until Oxygen.1.
Personally, I’d like to thank everyone for their hard work over the last few years. We released the latest Momentics release to our customers and they’ve been pretty happy with it. This is why we do open source so we can all help each other and succeed together.

I am currently working on some internal prototypes to learn more about Electron and HTML4/node.js as a tools platform. It’s not an IDE, but I am hoping to work on an Arduino IDE using this technology to be able to share something in the open and share lessons learned at EclipseCon Europe.

In the meantime, our customers are pretty happy with Eclipse and CDT for now so there’s not a lot of pressure to join Ericsson and their pursuit of a new (yet another?) Web-based IDE so we’ll be here for a while :).

BTW, it would be great if others can respond with their status for those who couldn’t make the call and from those who weren’t on it. Being open about what we’re working on helps build community. The loss of Ericsson hurts, but there are still a lot of companies and people with a vested interest in having a good CDT who could come help.

Cheers,
Doug

Re: CDT Call Tomorrow (Tues)

Nathan Ridge
>  *   Oxygen M7 is just under two weeks away. Other than Jeff’s Docker stuff and Jonah’s API work, not sure what else people are doing feature-wise, but make sure it’s done by then.

I'd like to get bug 408470, which will add support for a small but important C++14 feature (return type deduction), into Oxygen. Not sure if that counts as a "feature" - if it does, what deadline do I have to work with?

Thanks,
Nate

Re: CDT Call Tomorrow (Tues)

Doug Schaefer-3
On 2017-05-02, 12:21 PM, "[hidden email] on behalf of Nathan
Ridge" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]>
wrote:

>>  *   Oxygen M7 is just under two weeks away. Other than Jeff¹s Docker
>>stuff and Jonah¹s API work, not sure what else people are doing
>>feature-wise, but make sure it¹s done by then.
>
>I'd like to get bug 408470, which will add support for a small but
>important C++14 feature (return type deduction), into Oxygen. Not sure if
>that counts as a "feature" - if it does, what deadline do I have to work
>with?

M7 should be feature freeze. That should be in my Monday, May 15. But that
really depends on the impact/risk of the changed how late you would want
to get it in and how much soak we want to give it before release.

>Thanks,
>Nate

Re: CDT Call Tomorrow (Tues)

Liviu Ionescu-2

> On 2 May 2017, at 19:35, Doug Schaefer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ... M7 should be feature freeze. That should be in my Monday, May 15.

could you provide some details on how to test this without having to build everything from sources? links to Eclipse and CDT archives would be great.

thank you,

Liviu

Re: CDT Call Tomorrow (Tues)

Jonah Graham
Hi Liviu,

When Oxygen M7 (the last milestone for Oxygen) is released then the
full packaged versions of Eclipse C/C++ (EPP package) will be
available.

In the meantime, if you can test the most recent master code that
would be great. (The master branch will be the CDT 9.3 part of
Oxygen.) You can test the build by downloading the repo from Hudson[1]
and installing that into a recent Oxygen build, for example I would
recommend 4.7 M6 Platform[2] or the latest 4.7 I-Build Platform[3].

Thanks for the support Liviu, it is very valuable to the whole
community! Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to
enable you to do this.

Jonah

[1] https://ci.eclipse.org/cdt/job/cdt-master/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/releng/org.eclipse.cdt.repo/target/org.eclipse.cdt.repo.zip
[2] http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops4/S-4.7M6-201703082000/
  specifically the file (on linux) is in the "Platform Runtime Binary"
section: http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops4/S-4.7M6-201703082000/download.php?dropFile=eclipse-platform-4.7M6-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz
[3] Latest builds here:
http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops4/ as of writing
the most recent linux file is
http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops4/I20170502-2000/eclipse-platform-I20170502-2000-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz

Kichwa Coders Ltd.
www.kichwacoders.com

On 3 May 2017 at 09:48, Liviu Ionescu <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 2 May 2017, at 19:35, Doug Schaefer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> ... M7 should be feature freeze. That should be in my Monday, May 15.
>
> could you provide some details on how to test this without having to build everything from sources? links to Eclipse and CDT archives would be great.
>

> thank you,
>
> Liviu

Re: CDT Call Tomorrow (Tues)

Liviu Ionescu-2

> On 3 May 2017, at 12:35, Jonah Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ... if you can test the most recent master code that
> would be great.

on my macOS 10.12.4 I did the following:

- download http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops4/S-4.7M6-201703082000/download.php?dropFile=eclipse-platform-4.7M6-macosx-cocoa-x86_64.tar.gz
- download https://ci.eclipse.org/cdt/job/cdt-master/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/releng/org.eclipse.cdt.repo/target/org.eclipse.cdt.repo.zip
- unpack eclipse-platform-4.7M6-macosx-cocoa-x86_64.tar.gz
- start Eclipse.app
- Install New Software from Archive org.eclipse.cdt.repo.zip
- select all 3 categories
- restart

- check About:
        - Eclipse Platform, Version: Oxygen (4.7), Build id: I20170308-2000
        - Eclipse C/C++ Development Tools, Version: 9.3.0.201705030401

- create new C++ 'Hello World C++ Project' using MacOSX GCC; project build and run ok

- install the latest stable GNU ARM Eclipse from http://gnuarmeclipse.sourceforge.net/updates
- configured toolchain path to use latest GCC 6.x
- created a STM32F4 blinky project
- built the Debug & Release config ok
- started a debug session using QEMU (GDB 7.12); single step, breakpoints, suspend, terminate, restart seem ok;
- started a run session using QEMU; terminate button ok
- started a debug session using QEMU (GDB 7.12); single step, breakpoints, suspend, terminate, restart seem ok;

from my point of view, so far... so good! :-)

it looks like the upgrade to Oxygen will be much easier than the upgrade to Neon.

> Thanks for the support Liviu, it is very valuable to the whole
> community!

thank you Jonah, I appreciate it!

if there is anything else you want me to try, please let me know.

regards,

Liviu

Re: CDT Call Tomorrow (Tues)

Liviu Ionescu-2

> On 3 May 2017, at 14:27, Liviu Ionescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> - started a debug session using QEMU (GDB 7.12); single step, breakpoints, suspend, terminate, restart seem ok;

a small correction, the second debug session was with J-Link. all ok.

regards,

Liviu

Re: CDT Call Tomorrow (Tues)

Doug Schaefer-3
Thanks Liviu. Glad it was smoother.

Doug.

On 2017-05-03, 10:03 AM, "[hidden email] on behalf of Liviu
Ionescu" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 3 May 2017, at 14:27, Liviu Ionescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> - started a debug session using QEMU (GDB 7.12); single step,
>>breakpoints, suspend, terminate, restart seem ok;
>
>a small correction, the second debug session was with J-Link. all ok.
>

>regards,
>
>Liviu

Re: CDT Call Tomorrow (Tues)

Nathan Ridge
>> I'd like to get bug 408470, which will add support for a small but
>> important C++14 feature (return type deduction), into Oxygen. Not sure if
>> that counts as a "feature" - if it does, what deadline do I have to work
>> with?
>
> M7 should be feature freeze. That should be in my Monday, May 15. But that
> really depends on the impact/risk of the changed how late you would want
> to get it in and how much soak we want to give it before release.

I've managed to get this in before the deadline. There are some edge cases
that I've left for later, but the main pieces of the feature should be in place.

Thanks,
Nate

Re: CDT Call Tomorrow (Tues)

Corbat Thomas
Comment from HSR: "Epic!"

That has been one of the most missed features when analyzing modern C++ code!

>> I'd like to get bug 408470, which will add support for a small but
>> important C++14 feature (return type deduction), into Oxygen. Not
>> sure if that counts as a "feature" - if it does, what deadline do I
>> have to work with?
>
> M7 should be feature freeze. That should be in my Monday, May 15. But
> that really depends on the impact/risk of the changed how late you
> would want to get it in and how much soak we want to give it before release.

I've managed to get this in before the deadline. There are some edge cases that I've left for later, but the main pieces of the feature should be in place.

Thanks,
Nate

Re: CDT Call Tomorrow (Tues)

Nathan Ridge
> Comment from HSR: "Epic!"
>
> That has been one of the most missed features when analyzing
> modern C++ code!

Glad to hear that :)

If you guys are able to try M7 on some of your C++ code that uses return type deduction, and see how it fares, that would be great, as it would give us the chance to flush out any bugs before the release.

Thanks,
Nate

Re: CDT Call Tomorrow (Tues)

Morgner Felix
I have to concur with Thomas. This feature is awesome! I am currently testing
some of my personal code, which tends to be extremely heavy on return-type
deduction. Will let you know if I find something, so far, I haven't encountered
any major issues.