Quantcast

CDT Website

Tracy Miranda-3
Hi all,

We have some students currently working with Kichwa Coders and gaining experience working with open source, including CDT.

One of our students, Jean-Philippe Darroy has been prototyping a new Eclipse CDT website, which we would like to help him develop further so it could be the new CDT homepage. Here is his first working version:

Notes:
* Website is built using bootstrap & the main idea is it should be more modern looking & easy to maintain after it is initially put together.
* The design is loosely based on a couple of the projects that are part of the science working group (e.g.  Eclipse January).
* Roxanne has set up a new CDT playlist on the Eclipse Foundation's YouTube channel
* All links currently point to the old wiki pages but we might like to redo those one by one, time permitting.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,
Tracy

Re: CDT Website

Doug Schaefer-3
Love it! Thanks Jean-Philippe and Tracy.

As an aside, as I’ve been working with Wordpress, both for my cdtdoug.ca site and an upcoming QNX thing. I wonder what the feasibility would be of having the CDT site use Wordpress as the engine. We could use this contribution as the start of our own theme. Then we could easily add Pages and even blog posts directly on the site. Probably needs a vserver to run the php engine. Anyway, just thinking out loud.

Doug.

BTW, my first feedback is that it should probably be the same colour scheme as www.eclipse.org, especially the brighter background.

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Doug Schaefer <[hidden email]>
Date: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 11:31 AM
To: "CDT General developers list." <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] CDT Website

Love it! Thanks Jean-Philippe and Tracy.

As an aside, as I’ve been working with Wordpress, both for my cdtdoug.ca site and an upcoming QNX thing. I wonder what the feasibility would be of having the CDT site use Wordpress as the engine. We could use this contribution as the start of our own theme. Then we could easily add Pages and even blog posts directly on the site. Probably needs a vserver to run the php engine. Anyway, just thinking out loud.

Doug.

Re: CDT Website

Liviu Ionescu-2

> On 25 Apr 2017, at 18:31, Doug Schaefer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ... I’ve been working with Wordpress, both for my cdtdoug.ca site and an upcoming QNX thing. I wonder what the feasibility would be of having the CDT site use Wordpress as the engine.

I was a long time Wordpress fan, but, in 2015 when I migrated GNU ARM Eclipse from SourceForge to GitHub, I discovered Jekyll. In the beginning I was intrigued, and could not understand why would someone give up Wordpress for a static site, but now I'm quite happy with the solution.

For simple sites, GitHub Pages runs the Jekyll conversion from markdown to html automatically. For more complex situations, the Jekyll conversion can be executed as a Travis job.

The result is a kind of blog statically stored in markdown, possibly in a Git repo. Posts and pages can be easily added/edited with anything, even the GitHub on-line editor, and after commit the site is regenerated and published by something like Travis.

If you like markdown and Git, Jekyll might be for you too. Highly recommended!

Regards,

Liviu

Re: CDT Website

Mirko Stocker
Hi all,

> If you like markdown and Git, Jekyll might be for you too. Highly
> recommended!

Agreed, it's also what we use for Cevelop: http://cevelop.com/ and the code
https://github.com/Cevelop/cevelop.github.io

You can also do things like blog posts (our news) fairly easily, for comments,
we just use Disqus.

Cheers

Mirko

--