Draft proposal for GSoC project for CDT/LSP integration

Draft proposal for GSoC project for CDT/LSP integration

Nathan Ridge
Hi,

I would like to propose a GSoC project for integrating CDT with the Language Server Protocol.

Please find below a draft of the proposal. I'm posting it here for comment before adding it to the 2018 GSoC proposals wiki page [1]. Any feedback is welcome!

========
= Eclipse CDT: Integration with the Language Server Protocol =

[https://www.eclipse.org/cdt/ Eclipse CDT] (C/C++ Development Tools) currently uses a homegrown C++ parser and code analysis engine for providing semantics-aware navigation, completion, refactoring, and other editing features. This parser has fallen behind in C++ language support (e.g. it currently has only partial C++14 support and no C++17 support) and is increasingly a maintenance burden.

The [https://microsoft.github.io/language-server-protocol/ Language Server Protocol] is a protocol that allows decoupling "language servers" that provide support for semantics-aware features, from editors / IDEs that provide the UI for these features. This facilitates reusing the parser and code analysis engine already present in a compiler like [https://clang.llvm.org/ clang], exposed via a language server. There is a project underway to support the client side of the protocol in Eclipse, [https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.lsp4e LSP4E].

The goal of this GSoC project is to integrate Eclipse CDT with clang-based C/C++ language servers such as [https://clang.llvm.org/extra/clangd.html clangd] or [https://github.com/jacobdufault/cquery/ cquery].

Specific work that this could involve includes:

* Enhancements to LSP4E (support for new parts of the protocol, or enhancements to the implementation of existing parts), as motivated by CDT's needs
* Enhancements to CDT to make using the LSP integration smoother (e.g. project configuration, making use of existing settings)
* Enhancements to CDT to implement LSP protocol extensions that are specific to C/C++, or to a particular C/C++ language server (for example, cquery supports a protocol extension for semantic highlighting that might be neat to support in CDT)

Possible mentors: [mailto:[hidden email] Nathan Ridge]
========

As mentioned, I would be happy to mentor this project. Of course, if someone else would prefer to mentor it, I would be happy with that too, so just let me know :)

Regards,
Nate

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2018_Ideas

Re: Draft proposal for GSoC project for CDT/LSP integration

Doug Schaefer-3
Looks awesome Nate! Thanks for this. You would make a great mentor. Please proceed.

Cheers,
Doug.

Hey Nate, in case you're not watching Twitter, Wayne has announced Eclipse has been selected for the GSOC and to contact [hidden email] to get hooked up. Not sure what the process is after that.

https://twitter.com/waynebeaton/status/964298424278433794

Thanks!
Doug.

Thanks for the heads up :) I don't follow Twitter but I'm subscribed to soc-dev, and saw Wayne's note there. I haven't registered as a mentor yet but will in the coming days.

Best,
Nate

Re: Draft proposal for GSoC project for CDT/LSP integration

Nathan Ridge
The student application period for GSoC projects has now concluded, and I'm pleased to report that we've had one student application for this project. I've registered as "wanting to mentor" the project on the GSoC website.

I guess the next step is to see whether we get a slot for this project!

Regards,
Nate

Looks awesome Nate! Thanks for this. You would make a great mentor. Please proceed.

Cheers,
Doug.

Excellent. LSP for CDT is becoming a must have feature with both cquery and clangd advancing. Hopefully we get a slot.

Thanks!
Doug.