Eclipse CDT Project, COVID-19, and my time

Eclipse CDT Project, COVID-19, and my time

Jonah Graham
Hello folks,

I hope you are all doing well and staying safe during this time.

I know there are a number of items that may be getting blocked waiting for me - I apologize for this and I am trying to figure out how to make sure that people are not waiting on me. I had limited time available before COVID-19 outbreak, and the realities of social distancing and children home from school indefinitely means that I have even less time now.

I am prioritizing releng and development process work that makes sure the CDT project - and other projects I lead - continue to have releases, build successfully and move forward. Especially if there is anything in this category that you are blocked on please reach out to me by email to let me know so that I can unblock the project for all of us.

I will try to get through reviews that people have asked me to complete in good time, but there is inevitably a delay. There are a dozen or so committers on Eclipse CDT and any of them is able to complete a review. I also have my eye on a few other contributors to join our ranks as committers. During these times, or under normal operation, the project should and must not be held up because of a single person, so we can all work together to keep it going.

With this in mind we are quickly approaching the first milestone for our next release and on 1st of April is our next CDT call

This is our schedule for publishing CDT's contribution to 2020-06 simultaneous release. See SimRel 2020-06 Plan for further details.  (The EPP generally will be available on Friday of the same week):
Monday 15 Apr - 2020-06 M1
Monday 4 May - 2020-06 M2
Monday 25 May - 2020-06 M3
Monday 1 Jun - 2020-06 RC1
Monday 8 Jun - 2020-06 RC2
Then we are in Quiet week(s) until the release on Wed 17 Jun.

Thanks

Kichwa Coders

Re: Eclipse CDT Project, COVID-19, and my time

Mark B
Hi Jonah, here in Italy the situation is dramatic unfortunately, we are not able to go out from our houses and every day we have a lot of victims. Economy situation is dramatic too because we are not able to work, I hope this situation can terminate as soon as possible for everyone.

If I can help, let me know about the commits to be reviewed, I will try to take a look.

Il ven 20 mar 2020, 15:18 Jonah Graham <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
[...]

Hi Marco,

We are all watching the drastic situation in Italy and hoping that the significant efforts that your country is undertaking will start to flatten the curve.

One area that needs some attention is Bug 559674 - Improve parser for compile_commands.json. Martin has some open questions on this area that I don't know the answers to - and so far have failed to find the time to research properly to decide the way forward. The CQ was approved, so most of the work is now merged into git. The big thing left is to integrate it properly. Martin has a good plan (see Comment 4 and updates further along) but AFIACT needs some answers to be able to finish the work.

Kichwa Coders
www.kichwacoders.com

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 11:40, Mark B <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

15 knots
Hi Marco,

I think I figured it out:
IScannerInfoProvider.getScannerInformation(IResource resource) it called by the indexer. It is already implemented by
org.eclipse.cdt.core.build.CBuildConfiguration and its sub-class org.eclipse.cdt.cmake.core.internal.CMakeBuildConfiguration.
My only question is: What is that resource that getScannerInformation() is queried for? Is is a file resource or the project?

Anyway, I already hooked in the compile_commands parser into CMakeBuildConfiguration. and will soon push it to gerrit.

-- OT
Here in Berlin, we are still allowed to leave the house but are strongly advised to do not. Luckily, I am used to commute by bike and can avoid public transport to get to work.

Am Fr., 20. März 2020 um 17:16 Uhr schrieb Mark B <[hidden email]>:
I think you are talking about comment #22 of the bug report where Martin is asking support about some information of how indexer works. Unfortunately I don't know the indexer code too so I need to study to provide a guide to Martin. I try to do my best.

Re: Eclipse CDT Project, COVID-19, and my time

Mark B
Hi Martin, as I said I don't know that part of cdt code, however I can try to understand how the code works.
I guess it's a file however, but I could be wrong.
Maybe there's someone here in the mailing list that already knows the answer :)

Am Fr., 20. März 2020 um 20:50 Uhr schrieb Mark B <[hidden email]>:
Hi Martin, as I said I don't know that part of cdt code, however I can try to understand how the code works.
I guess it's a file however, but I could be wrong.
Maybe there's someone here in the mailing list that already knows the answer :)

I set a breakpoint to IScannerInfoProvider.getScannerInformation(IResource) and found that CDT sometimes passes the project as the resource. Not sure whether this is serious, since my code only provides info on a per-source-file base.

Re: Eclipse CDT Project, COVID-19, and my time

Mark B
 From documentation of IResource it can be 4 different things: file,
folder, workspace root, project root. You know the type from getType()
method.

Il 20/03/20 22:50, 15 knots ha scritto:

> Am Fr., 20. März 2020 um 20:50 Uhr schrieb Mark B
> <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Hi Martin, as I said I don't know that part of cdt code, however I
>     can try to understand how the code works.
>     I guess it's a file however, but I could be wrong.
>     Maybe there's someone here in the mailing list that already knows
>     the answer :)
>
> I set a breakpoint to
> IScannerInfoProvider.getScannerInformation(IResource) and found that CDT
> sometimes passes the project as the resource. Not sure whether this is
> serious, since my code only provides info on a per-source-file base.

Re: Eclipse CDT Project, COVID-19, and my time

Nathan Ridge
I'm not familiar with the configuration-related aspects of the indexer either.

However...

> I set a breakpoint to IScannerInfoProvider.getScannerInformation(IResource) and found that CDT sometimes passes the project as the resource. Not sure whether this is serious, since my code only provides info on a per-source-file base.

... if you can try this again, and post a stack trace when this is called with a project and a stack trace when this is called with a file, I can try to shed some light on what the purpose of the two types of calls are.

Regards,
Nate