Enabling spell editor on a customer editor

Enabling spell editor on a customer editor

Gayan Perera
Hi,

I'm trying to enable spell editing on the customer editor which is written on top on TextEditor. How do i enable spell check on this editor. I'm trying to make a contribution to https://github.com/RepreZen/KaiZen-OpenAPI-Editor/blob/master/com.reprezen.swagedit.core/src/com/reprezen/swagedit/core/editor/JsonEditor.java so that we can spell check the comments and descriptions in swagger files.

Br,
Gayan.

Re: Enabling spell editor on a customer editor

Lars Vogel-2
Hi,

IIRC JDT contains currently the spell checker code and we have a long outstanding bug to move this functionality to text to make it available for more editors.

Best regards, Lars

Gayan Perera <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mo., 30. März 2020, 20:42:
Hi,

I'm trying to enable spell editing on the customer editor which is written on top on TextEditor. How do i enable spell check on this editor. I'm trying to make a contribution to https://github.com/RepreZen/KaiZen-OpenAPI-Editor/blob/master/com.reprezen.swagedit.core/src/com/reprezen/swagedit/core/editor/JsonEditor.java so that we can spell check the comments and descriptions in swagger files.

Br,
Gayan.

Re: Enabling spell editor on a customer editor

Daniel Megert
> IIRC JDT contains currently the spell checker code and we have a long outstanding bug to move this functionality to text to make it available for more editors.

This is true (see https://bugs.eclipse.org/185695). Note though, that the framework to register spelling engines is in Platform Text, but the concrete engine together with the dictionaries is in JDT UI. You would either have to require JDT UI (org.eclipse.jdt.ui) or implement your own engine.

Dani

Re: Enabling spell editor on a customer editor

Gayan Perera
Hi Daniel,

How do you register the spell checker engine in text editor provided that the engine is available? A code snippet or documentation will be really helpful.

Br,
Gayan

On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 at 08:25, Daniel Megert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> IIRC JDT contains currently the spell checker code and we have a long outstanding bug to move this functionality to text to make it available for more editors.

This is true (see https://bugs.eclipse.org/185695). Note though, that the framework to register spelling engines is in Platform Text, but the concrete engine together with the dictionaries is in JDT UI. You would either have to require JDT UI (org.eclipse.jdt.ui) or implement your own engine.

Dani

Re: Enabling spell editor on a customer editor

Daniel Megert
Hi Gayan

I wonder how you can have an available engine without knowing how to register it.

Anyway, take a look at https://help.eclipse.org/2020-03/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.isv%2Freference%2Fextension-points%2Forg_eclipse_ui_workbench_texteditor_spellingEngine.html

HTH
Dani

From:        Gayan Perera <[hidden email]>
To:        "Eclipse platform general developers list." <[hidden email]>
Date:        31.03.2020 10:18
Sent by:        [hidden email]

Hi Daniel,

How do you register the spell checker engine in text editor provided that the engine is available? A code snippet or documentation will be really helpful.

Br,
Gayan

On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 at 08:25, Daniel Megert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> IIRC JDT contains currently the spell checker code and we have a long outstanding bug to move this functionality to text to make it available for more editors.

This is true (see
https://bugs.eclipse.org/185695). Note though, that the framework to register spelling engines is in Platform Text, but the concrete engine together with the dictionaries is in JDT UI. You would either have to require JDT UI (org.eclipse.jdt.ui) or implement your own engine.

Dani

From:
Lars Vogel <[hidden email]>
To:
"Eclipse platform general developers list." <[hidden email]>
Date:
30.03.2020 20:44
Subject:
[EXTERNAL] Re: [platform-dev] Enabling spell editor on a customer editor
Sent by:

IIRC JDT contains currently the spell checker code and we have a long outstanding bug to move this functionality to text to make it available for more editors.

Best regards, Lars

Gayan Perera <
[hidden email]> schrieb am Mo., 30. März 2020, 20:42:
Hi,

I'm trying to enable spell editing on the customer editor which is written on top on
TextEditor. How do i enable spell check on this editor. I'm trying to make a contribution to https://github.com/RepreZen/KaiZen-OpenAPI-Editor/blob/master/com.reprezen.swagedit.core/src/com/reprezen/swagedit/core/editor/JsonEditor.java so that we can spell check the comments and descriptions in swagger files.

Br,
Gayan.

To unsubscribe from this list, visit
https://www.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/platform-dev

Re: Enabling spell editor on a customer editor

Gayan Perera
Hi Daniel,

I’m thinking of reusing the JDT engine. Or may be i might help you guys to move the engine to platform text

Br,
Gayan

From:        Gayan Perera <[hidden email]>
To:        "Eclipse platform general developers list." <[hidden email]>
Date:        31.03.2020 10:18
Sent by:        [hidden email]

Hi Daniel,

How do you register the spell checker engine in text editor provided that the engine is available? A code snippet or documentation will be really helpful.

Br,
Gayan

On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 at 08:25, Daniel Megert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> IIRC JDT contains currently the spell checker code and we have a long outstanding bug to move this functionality to text to make it available for more editors.

This is true (see
https://bugs.eclipse.org/185695). Note though, that the framework to register spelling engines is in Platform Text, but the concrete engine together with the dictionaries is in JDT UI. You would either have to require JDT UI (org.eclipse.jdt.ui) or implement your own engine.

Dani

From:
Lars Vogel <[hidden email]>
To:
"Eclipse platform general developers list." <[hidden email]>
Date:
30.03.2020 20:44
Subject:
[...]

Would be great if the engine can be moved.

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 1:41 PM Gayan Perera <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> Sent by:        [hidden email]
>> ________________________________
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> IIRC JDT contains currently the spell checker code and we have a long outstanding bug to move this functionality to text to make it available for more editors.
>>
>> Best regards, Lars
>>
>> Gayan Perera <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mo., 30. März 2020, 20:42:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to enable spell editing on the customer editor which is written on top on TextEditor. How do i enable spell check on this editor. I'm trying to make a contribution to https://github.com/RepreZen/KaiZen-OpenAPI-Editor/blob/master/com.reprezen.swagedit.core/src/com/reprezen/swagedit/core/editor/JsonEditor.java so that we can spell check the comments and descriptions in swagger files.

Eclipse Platform project co-lead
CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web: http://www.vogella.com

Re: Enabling spell editor on a customer editor

Gayan Perera
Hi Lars,

Is just moving the code, do we need any approvals or anything like that ?

Br,
Gayan.

On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 at 14:28, Lars Vogel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to enable spell editing on the customer editor which is written on top on TextEditor. How do i enable spell check on this editor. I'm trying to make a contribution to https://github.com/RepreZen/KaiZen-OpenAPI-Editor/blob/master/com.reprezen.swagedit.core/src/com/reprezen/swagedit/core/editor/JsonEditor.java so that we can spell check the comments and descriptions in swagger files.
>>
>> Br,
>> Gayan.

Eclipse Platform project co-lead
CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web: http://www.vogella.com

Re: Enabling spell editor on a customer editor

Lets discuss in the bug. If a CQ is required for the Gerrit, I can handle that.

Best regards, Lars

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 2:43 PM Gayan Perera <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Lars,
>
> Is just moving the code, do we need any approvals or anything like that ?
>
> Br,
> Gayan.
>
> On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 at 14:28, Lars Vogel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Would be great if the engine can be moved.
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 1:41 PM Gayan Perera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Daniel,
>> >
>> > I’m thinking of reusing the JDT engine. Or may be i might help you guys to move the engine to platform text
>> >
>> > Br,
>> > Gayan

>> --
>> Eclipse Platform project co-lead
>> CEO vogella GmbH
>>
>> Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
>> Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
>> Geschäftsführer: Lars Vogel, Jennifer Nerlich de Vogel
>> USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
>> Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web: http://www.vogella.com

Eclipse Platform project co-lead
CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web: http://www.vogella.com

Re: Enabling spell editor on a customer editor

Hi Gayan

Have a look at the many comments in the bug report. There is much more involved than just "moving the code". If you decide to work on it (great as Lars said), add a comment to the bug report and also ask whether a committer would be willing to do the reviews.

If you decide to reuse/copy the code, make sure legal issues are correctly handled. For details see https://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-2.0/faq.phpand the link to the EPL itself on the right side.

Dani

From:        Gayan Perera <[hidden email]>
To:        "Eclipse platform general developers list." <[hidden email]>
Date:        31.03.2020 14:43
Sent by:        [hidden email]

[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> I’m thinking of reusing the JDT engine. Or may be i might help you guys to move the engine to platform text
>
> Br,
> Gayan
>
> On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 at 13:06, Daniel Megert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Gayan
>>
>> I wonder how you can have an available engine without knowing how to register it.
>>
>> Anyway, take a look at
https://help.eclipse.org/2020-03/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.isv%2Freference%2Fextension-points%2Forg_eclipse_ui_workbench_texteditor_spellingEngine.html

>> HTH
>> Dani
>>

>> From:        Gayan Perera <
[hidden email]>
>> To:        "Eclipse platform general developers list." <
[hidden email]>
>> Date:        31.03.2020 10:18
>> Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: [platform-dev] Enabling spell editor on a customer editor
>> Sent by:
[hidden email]

[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > IIRC JDT contains currently the spell checker code and we have a long outstanding bug to move this functionality to text to make it available for more editors.
>>
>> This is true (see
https://bugs.eclipse.org/185695). Note though, that the framework to register spelling engines is in Platform Text, but the concrete engine together with the dictionaries is in JDT UI. You would either have to require JDT UI (org.eclipse.jdt.ui) or implement your own engine.

>> Dani
>>

>> From:        Lars Vogel <
[hidden email]>
>> To:        "Eclipse platform general developers list." <