Quantcast

Expression editor contribution

Christian Pontesegger

Hi,

I am currently working on a UI contribution to build and modify expressions. It is hosted as a composite and looks somewhat similar to the PDE editors that allow to build enabledWhen or visibleWhen expressions. Next to building it also allows to serialize and parse such expressions into/from human readable strings.

Here is a small screenshot of an early prototype

For me there are 2 relevant use cases for such a component:

first it will be needed for EASE when users want to push scripts to menus only under certain conditions.

Second I plan to contribute my Resource decorator plugin:
http://codeandme.blogspot.co.at/p/blog-page_7.html
which would also need expressions to create filters for certain entries.

Possibly there exist other components which could make use of expressions, too.

Now to my question: is there interest in platform.ui to host such an expression utility? If yes, which plugin should I use to host the code?

Christian

Re: Expression editor contribution

Lars Vogel-2
Hi Christian,

what is the difference or enhancement to the PDE editor?

Related to that work might be that Simon Scholz is working on a way to define Java classes as expressions via Bug 509429.

Best regards, Lars

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 4:59 PM, Christian Pontesegger <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web: http://www.vogella.com

Re: Expression editor contribution

Christian Pontesegger
> what is the difference or enhancement to the PDE editor?

the PDE editor component cannot be reused. Expressions are nice as they
can be used for all kinds of filtering. The contribution I am proposing
is a reusable Component that allows users to build such expressions in
the target application. Further extensions allow to add custom expressions.

I do not intend to replace the PDE editor. The UI element I am thinking
of targets end users that need to create filter expressions. Eg we could
create filters for the Error view in future.

> Related to that work might be that Simon Scholz is working on a way to
> define Java classes as expressions via Bug 509429.
I guess that work is not really related to mine.

If it does not fit to the platform I will host it within EASE directly.
For a Resource decorator contribution something like this would be
required though.

Christian

Re: Expression editor contribution

Lars Vogel-2
Hi Christian,

my impression is that such a UI is a bit to complex for the average
Eclipse IDE users. I suggest to host is first within EASE to gain some
experience with it.

Best regards, Lars

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 6:10 PM, Christian Pontesegger
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> what is the difference or enhancement to the PDE editor?
>>
> the PDE editor component cannot be reused. Expressions are nice as they can
> be used for all kinds of filtering. The contribution I am proposing is a
> reusable Component that allows users to build such expressions in the target
> application. Further extensions allow to add custom expressions.
>
> I do not intend to replace the PDE editor. The UI element I am thinking of
> targets end users that need to create filter expressions. Eg we could create
> filters for the Error view in future.
>
>> Related to that work might be that Simon Scholz is working on a way to
>> define Java classes as expressions via Bug 509429.
>
> I guess that work is not really related to mine.
>
> If it does not fit to the platform I will host it within EASE directly. For
> a Resource decorator contribution something like this would be required
> though.
>

> Christian

CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web: http://www.vogella.com

Re: Expression editor contribution

Christian Pontesegger
I guess as Lars does not see need for it right now I will implement it
in the EASE repo. I do not want EASE code to depend on the e4 incubator
and I want to use that functionality in the next months.

But from EASE we are free to clone it to the e4 repo.

Christian

Re: Expression editor contribution

Mickael Istria-5
On 01/14/2017 07:37 PM, Christian Pontesegger wrote:
I guess as Lars does not see need for it right now I will implement it in the EASE repo. I do not want EASE code to depend on the e4 incubator and I want to use that functionality in the next months.
But from EASE we are free to clone it to the e4 repo.
Have you consider adding this to PDE? Seems like the target user would be an Eclipse plug-in or script developer. If so, PDE seems to be the best place.

Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer for Red Hat Developers
My blog - My Tweets

Re: Expression editor contribution

I agree with this. A first implementation should be put into e4 and not directly into the platform.

Dani

From:        Wim Jongman <[hidden email]>
To:        "Eclipse Platform UI component developers list." <[hidden email]>
Date:        14.01.2017 19:19