'Failed to execute MI command: -exec-run' error when trying to debug a GNU project with Eclipse

'Failed to execute MI command: -exec-run' error when trying to debug a GNU project with Eclipse

Evan Aad

I wish to debug GNU Emacs in Eclipse IDE for C/C++ on my macOS Sierra. I have downloaded the source code with Git and built the project successfully via the command line. I then imported the project to Eclipse as an existing Makefile project with the 'GNU autotools toolchain' setting.

I can now run the Emacs GUI from Eclipse. However, when I try to debug it (with gdb), I get the following error message:

---

'Launching emacs-26.0.50.1' has encountered a problem.
Error in final launch sequence

Failed to execute MI command:
-exec-run
Error message from debugger back end:
During startup program terminated with signal ?, Unknown signal.
During startup program terminated with signal ?, Unknown signal.
---

Re: 'Failed to execute MI command: -exec-run' error when trying to debug a GNU project with Eclipse

Does debugging a simple Hello World application work for you?

If not, I suspect it is because GDB 7.12 does not work on MacOS
Sierra. I don't have access to such a machine, but have a look at
https://stackoverflow.com/a/40123809/2796832 as a starting point
perhaps?

Kichwa Coders Ltd.
www.kichwacoders.com

On 11 August 2017 at 10:11, Evan Aad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wish to debug GNU Emacs in Eclipse IDE for C/C++ on my macOS Sierra. I
> have downloaded the source code with Git and built the project successfully
> via the command line. I then imported the project to Eclipse as an existing
> Makefile project with the 'GNU autotools toolchain' setting.
>
> I can now run the Emacs GUI from Eclipse. However, when I try to debug it
> (with gdb), I get the following error message:
>
> ---
>
> 'Launching emacs-26.0.50.1' has encountered a problem.
> Error in final launch sequence
>
> Failed to execute MI command:
> -exec-run
> Error message from debugger back end:
> During startup program terminated with signal ?, Unknown signal.
> During startup program terminated with signal ?, Unknown signal.
>
> ---

Re: 'Failed to execute MI command: -exec-run' error when trying to debug a GNU project with Eclipse

Evan Aad
No, I can't debug even a simple Hello World application. How aggravating!
Thanks for answering.

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 12:24 PM, Jonah Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Does debugging a simple Hello World application work for you?

If not, I suspect it is because GDB 7.12 does not work on MacOS
Sierra. I don't have access to such a machine, but have a look at
https://stackoverflow.com/a/40123809/2796832 as a starting point
perhaps?

Kichwa Coders Ltd.
www.kichwacoders.com

On 11 August 2017 at 10:11, Evan Aad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I wish to debug GNU Emacs in Eclipse IDE for C/C++ on my macOS Sierra. I
> have downloaded the source code with Git and built the project successfully
> via the command line. I then imported the project to Eclipse as an existing
> Makefile project with the 'GNU autotools toolchain' setting.
>
> I can now run the Emacs GUI from Eclipse. However, when I try to debug it
> (with gdb), I get the following error message:
>
> ---
>
> 'Launching emacs-26.0.50.1' has encountered a problem.
> Error in final launch sequence
>
> Failed to execute MI command:
> -exec-run
> Error message from debugger back end:
> During startup program terminated with signal ?, Unknown signal.
> During startup program terminated with signal ?, Unknown signal.
>
> ---

Re: 'Failed to execute MI command: -exec-run' error when trying to debug a GNU project with Eclipse

Evan Aad
I've now managed to debug the Emacs source code with gdb using Emacs itself as the IDE. However, I prefer to use Eclipse, and would appreciate help to get it done.

Additionally, I've managed to solve the error message I reported about above, however now I'm getting another one:

---
'Launching emacs-26.0.50.1' has encountered a problem.

Error in final launch sequence

Failed to execute MI command:
source /Users/evanaad/emacs/src/.gdbinit
Error message from debugger back end:
/Users/evanaad/emacs/src/.gdbinit:19: Error in sourced command file:\nNo symbol table is loaded.  Use the "file" command.
/Users/evanaad/emacs/src/.gdbinit:19: Error in sourced command file:\nNo symbol table is loaded.  Use the "file" command.
---

I initially got a similar message with Emacs as the IDE. The way I was able to resolve it there was to set gdb's current directory using

(gdb) cd ~/evanaad/emacs/src

And also to set gdb's executable file to 'bootstrap-emacs' thus:

(gdb) file bootstrap-emacs

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 12:50 PM, Evan Aad <[hidden email]> wrote:
No, I can't debug even a simple Hello World application. How aggravating!
Thanks for answering.

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 12:24 PM, Jonah Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Does debugging a simple Hello World application work for you?

If not, I suspect it is because GDB 7.12 does not work on MacOS
Sierra. I don't have access to such a machine, but have a look at
https://stackoverflow.com/a/40123809/2796832 as a starting point
perhaps?

Kichwa Coders Ltd.
www.kichwacoders.com

On 11 August 2017 at 10:11, Evan Aad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wish to debug GNU Emacs in Eclipse IDE for C/C++ on my macOS Sierra. I
> have downloaded the source code with Git and built the project successfully
> via the command line. I then imported the project to Eclipse as an existing
> Makefile project with the 'GNU autotools toolchain' setting.
>
> I can now run the Emacs GUI from Eclipse. However, when I try to debug it
> (with gdb), I get the following error message:
>
> ---
>
> 'Launching emacs-26.0.50.1' has encountered a problem.
> Error in final launch sequence
>
> Failed to execute MI command:
> -exec-run
> Error message from debugger back end:
> During startup program terminated with signal ?, Unknown signal.
> During startup program terminated with signal ?, Unknown signal.
>
> ---

Re: 'Failed to execute MI command: -exec-run' error when trying to debug a GNU project with Eclipse

Jonah Graham
What is going on here is your project has a .gdbinit file that is not
compatible with Eclipse CDT. You can edit .gdbinit file to make it
work, or you can disable the use of the .gdbinit in the Debug
Configuration -> Debugger Tab -> Set GDB command file to your own
filename (or a blank). See the attached screenshot for where in the UI
I am referring to.

The emacs .gdbinit has a lot of useful stuff in it so you will
probably want it :-) If you disable it about, you can type "source
.gdbinit" after CDT has started the debug session in the Debugger
Console.

Kichwa Coders Ltd.
www.kichwacoders.com

gdbinit.png (130K) Download Attachment

Re: 'Failed to execute MI command: -exec-run' error when trying to debug a GNU project with Eclipse

Evan Aad
OK, maybe this can help. I managed to debug Emacs from the command line very easily. Maybe you can help me set up Eclipse correspondingly.

I opend Terminal, changed directory to ~/emacs/src, and executed the following:

> gdb emacs-26.0.50.2

This is all!

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 2:48 PM, Itai Berli <[hidden email]> wrote:
OK, maybe this can help. I managed to debug Emacs from the command line very easily. Maybe you can help me set up Eclipse correspondingly.

I opend Terminal, changed directory to ~/emacs/src, and executed the following:

> gdb emacs-26.0.50.2

This is all!

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 2:20 PM, Jonah Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:
What is going on here is your project has a .gdbinit file that is not
compatible with Eclipse CDT. You can edit .gdbinit file to make it
work, or you can disable the use of the .gdbinit in the Debug
Configuration -> Debugger Tab -> Set GDB command file to your own
filename (or a blank). See the attached screenshot for where in the UI
I am referring to.

The emacs .gdbinit has a lot of useful stuff in it so you will
probably want it :-) If you disable it about, you can type "source
.gdbinit" after CDT has started the debug session in the Debugger
Console.

Kichwa Coders Ltd.
www.kichwacoders.com

On 11 August 2017 at 12:11, Evan Aad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've now managed to debug the Emacs source code with gdb using Emacs itself
> as the IDE. However, I prefer to use Eclipse, and would appreciate help to
> get it done.
>
> Additionally, I've managed to solve the error message I reported about
> above, however now I'm getting another one:
>
> ---
>
> 'Launching emacs-26.0.50.1' has encountered a problem.
>
> Error in final launch sequence
>
> Failed to execute MI command:
> source /Users/evanaad/emacs/src/.gdbinit
> Error message from debugger back end:
> /Users/evanaad/emacs/src/.gdbinit:19: Error in sourced command file:\nNo
> symbol table is loaded.  Use the "file" command.
> /Users/evanaad/emacs/src/.gdbinit:19: Error in sourced command file:\nNo
> symbol table is loaded.  Use the "file" command.
>
> ---
>
> I initially got a similar message with Emacs as the IDE. The way I was able
> to resolve it there was to set gdb's current directory using
>
> (gdb) cd ~/evanaad/emacs/src
>
> And also to set gdb's executable file to 'bootstrap-emacs' thus:
>
> (gdb) file bootstrap-emacs
>
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 12:50 PM, Evan Aad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> No, I can't debug even a simple Hello World application. How aggravating!
>> Thanks for answering.
>>

>> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 12:24 PM, Jonah Graham <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Does debugging a simple Hello World application work for you?
>>>
>>> If not, I suspect it is because GDB 7.12 does not work on MacOS
>>> Sierra. I don't have access to such a machine, but have a look at
>>> https://stackoverflow.com/a/40123809/2796832 as a starting point
>>> perhaps?
>>>
>>> Jonah
>>>
>>> ~~~
>>> Jonah Graham
>>> Kichwa Coders Ltd.
>>> www.kichwacoders.com

Re: 'Failed to execute MI command: -exec-run' error when trying to debug a GNU project with Eclipse

Jonah Graham
The .gdbinit in the src/ directory is written to be used outside of
Eclipse CDT. So either disable or edit it as I mentioned in the
previous email. I don't know how to edit it to Eclipse's needs
exactly, but I would start by just disabling it. Most of the .gdbinit
is helper functions to make it easier to inspect emacs internals.
Kichwa Coders Ltd.
www.kichwacoders.com