Quantcast

Goodbye, Eclipse!

Stefan Xenos-3

Eclipse usage within Google has dropped to the point where it no longer makes sense to have a team of engineers contributing to the Eclipse project. This means that in the next few months my team will be dismantled and I will be reassigned to something else.

The good news is that this isn't happening right away. That leaves me with some time to document my code and help train anyone who wishes to take over the code I've been maintaining.

The biggest piece of unfinished work is the new JDT index I've been working on for the past few years. I'm quite proud of it and I think it will help us dramatically improve the performance of Eclipse. The plan had always been for me to implement the index itself and then demonstrate its usage by adopting it in the type hierarchy view. After that I had hoped to recruit some help from the rest of the community.

The index reached that point several months ago and I've been working on further improvements since then. However, it's clear now that I won't be around to finish it. If the community at large still deems this to be a worthy task, I'll need help from someone willing to take over the work. I still have some time left and I'll make myself available to write documentation and offer explanations. If you're interested, please get in touch.

I'd like to keep my commit rights; I hope to continue writing the odd bugfix if my new role permits me to do so.

I've really enjoyed my time working with the Eclipse community. You guys are awesome. Keep in touch!

- Stefan

Re: Goodbye, Eclipse!

Andrey Loskutov
Hi Stefan,

Thank you for your numerous contributions, it was awesome to work with
you, and it is really sad news for all projects you were involved in
Eclipse. I wish you all the best in your new work area.

It is sad Eclipse is not as good as it could be to be widely accepted in
Google - could you please give your personal opinion why it happened? If
you are allowed to share this - which IDE will be used then in Google?

Regards,
Andrey

Am 26.04.2017 um 20:50 schrieb Stefan Xenos:

> Eclipse usage within Google has dropped to the point where it no longer
> makes sense to have a team of engineers contributing to the Eclipse
> project. This means that in the next few months my team will be
> dismantled and I will be reassigned to something else.
>

> The good news is that this isn't happening right away. That leaves me
> with some time to document my code and help train anyone who wishes to
> take over the code I've been maintaining.
>

> The biggest piece of unfinished work is the new JDT index I've been
> working on for the past few years. I'm quite proud of it and I think it
> will help us dramatically improve the performance of Eclipse. The plan
> had always been for me to implement the index itself and then
> demonstrate its usage by adopting it in the type hierarchy view. After
> that I had hoped to recruit some help from the rest of the community.
>

> The index reached that point several months ago and I've been working on
> further improvements since then. However, it's clear now that I won't be
> around to finish it. If the community at large still deems this to be a
> worthy task, I'll need help from someone willing to take over the work.
> I still have some time left and I'll make myself available to write
> documentation and offer explanations. If you're interested, please get
> in touch.
>

> I'd like to keep my commit rights; I hope to continue writing the odd
> bugfix if my new role permits me to do so.
>

> I've really enjoyed my time working with the Eclipse community. You guys
> are awesome. Keep in touch!
>

> - Stefan

Kind regards,
Andrey Loskutov

http://google.com/+AndreyLoskutov

Re: Goodbye, Eclipse!

Mickael Istria-5
Hi Stefan,

Sad to see you moving to another mission. You were definitely very good at working on Eclipse Platform and your contributions were very noticeable for the project technically speaking, but also in term of community as you've been an active and helpful reviewer who helped several of us to get better and better (at least it was my case).
I just hope you'll enjoy your next work, and you'll find a path back to Eclipse one day. In the meantime, rest assured that we'll keep working on the Eclipse IDE as much as we can, with additional goal to make it reach again the required popularity for your employer to re-build your team and get you back with us ;)

Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer for Red Hat Developers
My blog - My Tweets

Re: Goodbye, Eclipse!

Lars Vogel-2
Hi Stefan,

a big thanks to you, from my side also. Your work and help to the
community over the last years did made a significant change on the
Eclipse code base. Eclipse 4.7 will be IMHO the best Eclipse release
since a long time and you contributed a significant portion to it.

I hope you will still be able to finish Bug 512921, which seems to be
an important piece of work for the new JDT index for huge workspaces.

Thanks again and I hope that you stay connected to  the Eclipse community.

Best regards, Lars

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 9:22 PM, Mickael Istria <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> Sad to see you moving to another mission. You were definitely very good at
> working on Eclipse Platform and your contributions were very noticeable for
> the project technically speaking, but also in term of community as you've
> been an active and helpful reviewer who helped several of us to get better
> and better (at least it was my case).
> I just hope you'll enjoy your next work, and you'll find a path back to
> Eclipse one day. In the meantime, rest assured that we'll keep working on
> the Eclipse IDE as much as we can, with additional goal to make it reach
> again the required popularity for your employer to re-build your team and
> get you back with us ;)
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Mickael Istria
> Eclipse developer for Red Hat Developers
> My blog - My Tweets

CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web: http://www.vogella.com

Re: Goodbye, Eclipse!

Stefan Xenos-3
Bug 512921 has an almost-complete patch attached that fixes the main issue. However, the patch contains a bug that causes index corruption after several invalidation/reindex passes. It's unlikely that I'll be able to find the bug and release the patch. :-(

  - Stefan

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 12:32 PM, Lars Vogel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Stefan,

a big thanks to you, from my side also. Your work and help to the
community over the last years did made a significant change on the
Eclipse code base. Eclipse 4.7 will be IMHO the best Eclipse release
since a long time and you contributed a significant portion to it.

I hope you will still be able to finish Bug 512921, which seems to be
an important piece of work for the new JDT index for huge workspaces.

Thanks again and I hope that you stay connected to  the Eclipse community.

Best regards, Lars

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 9:22 PM, Mickael Istria <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> Sad to see you moving to another mission. You were definitely very good at
> working on Eclipse Platform and your contributions were very noticeable for
> the project technically speaking, but also in term of community as you've
> been an active and helpful reviewer who helped several of us to get better
> and better (at least it was my case).
> I just hope you'll enjoy your next work, and you'll find a path back to
> Eclipse one day. In the meantime, rest assured that we'll keep working on
> the Eclipse IDE as much as we can, with additional goal to make it reach
> again the required popularity for your employer to re-build your team and
> get you back with us ;)
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Mickael Istria
> Eclipse developer for Red Hat Developers
> My blog - My Tweets

CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web: http://www.vogella.com

Re: Goodbye, Eclipse!

Stefan Xenos-3
Note that the problem is much less severe than it was after the patch to bug 512741.

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 12:48 PM, Stefan Xenos <[hidden email]> wrote:
Bug 512921 has an almost-complete patch attached that fixes the main issue. However, the patch contains a bug that causes index corruption after several invalidation/reindex passes. It's unlikely that I'll be able to find the bug and release the patch. :-(

  - Stefan

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 12:32 PM, Lars Vogel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Stefan,

a big thanks to you, from my side also. Your work and help to the
community over the last years did made a significant change on the
Eclipse code base. Eclipse 4.7 will be IMHO the best Eclipse release
since a long time and you contributed a significant portion to it.

I hope you will still be able to finish Bug 512921, which seems to be
an important piece of work for the new JDT index for huge workspaces.

Thanks again and I hope that you stay connected to  the Eclipse community.

Best regards, Lars

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 9:22 PM, Mickael Istria <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> Sad to see you moving to another mission. You were definitely very good at
> working on Eclipse Platform and your contributions were very noticeable for
> the project technically speaking, but also in term of community as you've
> been an active and helpful reviewer who helped several of us to get better
> and better (at least it was my case).
> I just hope you'll enjoy your next work, and you'll find a path back to
> Eclipse one day. In the meantime, rest assured that we'll keep working on
> the Eclipse IDE as much as we can, with additional goal to make it reach
> again the required popularity for your employer to re-build your team and
> get you back with us ;)
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Mickael Istria
> Eclipse developer for Red Hat Developers
> My blog - My Tweets

CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web: http://www.vogella.com

Re: Goodbye, Eclipse!

Patrik Suzzi-2
Stefan,

Losing you, Sergei and the Eclipse team at Google it's quite sad.

Given Google's significant contributions to Eclipse, we're going to lose the possibility to have consistent synergies with one of the biggest players in the software market.

Although the decision has already been taken, I wonder to know if there is something that we could do to bring back Google's support to Eclipse.

Thank you very much for your openness in sharing your experience and for your contributions!

Best regards,
Patrik Suzzi

Fax <a href="tel:040%205247%206322" value="+3904052476322">(040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web: http://www.vogella.com