Inquiries about plug in development

Jason Tan
Hello guys,

My name is Jason Tan. I am currently tasked in doing a feasibility study regarding a creation of an eclipse plugin that creates a custom project for my client. I have no experience in plugin development, and would like to ask you guys on recommendations on what to read or if in your opinion, is my project feasible. I've tried searching google, it provided many information ,but I cannot determine which would be useful for my project. Looking forward to your reply. Thanks!

BR,
Jason

Re: Inquiries about plug in development

Jonah Graham
Hi Jason,

There are a wide range of tutorials on
http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/eclipse.html to get started. However
I would recommend jumping right in, install Eclipse for "Eclipse for
RCP and RAP Developers" (from
https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/eclipse-rcp-and-rap-developers/oxygen1
or wherever you like to get it) and do New Plug-in Project and choose
one of the templates in there.

HTH,

Kichwa Coders Ltd.
www.kichwacoders.com

On 9 October 2017 at 09:50, Jason Tan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> My name is Jason Tan. I am currently tasked in doing a feasibility study regarding a creation of an eclipse plugin that creates a custom project for my client. I have no experience in plugin development, and would like to ask you guys on recommendations on what to read or if in your opinion, is my project feasible. I've tried searching google, it provided many information ,but I cannot determine which would be useful for my project. Looking forward to your reply. Thanks!
>
> BR,
> Jason

Re: Inquiries about plug in development

Mickael Istria-5

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 10:50 AM, Jason Tan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello guys,

Hello,

My name is Jason Tan. I am currently tasked in doing a feasibility study regarding a creation of an eclipse plugin that creates a custom project for my client. I have no experience in plugin development, and would like to ask you guys on recommendations on what to read

Despite being partly out-of-date (14 years old already!), I remember ther the book "Contributing to Eclipse" by Erich Gamma and Kent Beck did introduce the Eclipse architecture extremely well and allowed me to feel the power of Eclipse Platform very fast.

or if in your opinion, is my project feasible

Anything is feasible, it's only a matter of time ;)
But as far as I understand of your use-case, it seems like a simple one to implement, creating an extension for a New Project wizard.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse IDE developer, at Red Hat Developers community