Quantcast

Is an API Baseline update to Neon.3 ok?

Liviu Ionescu-2
I'm considering a major update of the GNU ARM Eclipse plug-ins, right now compatible with Luna.2 (API Baseline CDT 8.6.0, but code actually even older, with hundreds of deprecation warnings). Given the recent changes in CDT, I'd skip Mars entirely and go directly to Neon.3, CDT 9.2.1.

Any thought/suggestions?

Regards,

Liviu

Re: Is an API Baseline update to Neon.3 ok?

Jonah Graham
HI Liviu,

Are you asking if shipping the GNU ARM Eclipse plug-ins with a minimum
version of CDT of 9.2.1 is OK?

I certainly think so. It sounds like that will ease your testing
burden because that will mean only Neon.3 and Oxygen versions are
supported/verified. While I think the CDT 8.x vs CDT 9.x issues have
now been resolved for you, not having to worry about supporting CDT
8.x seems like a positive too.

HTH,
Kichwa Coders Ltd.
www.kichwacoders.com

On 16 May 2017 at 11:01, Liviu Ionescu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm considering a major update of the GNU ARM Eclipse plug-ins, right now compatible with Luna.2 (API Baseline CDT 8.6.0, but code actually even older, with hundreds of deprecation warnings). Given the recent changes in CDT, I'd skip Mars entirely and go directly to Neon.3, CDT 9.2.1.
>
> Any thought/suggestions?
>

> Regards,
>
> Liviu

Re: Is an API Baseline update to Neon.3 ok?

Liviu Ionescu-2

> On 16 May 2017, at 13:10, Jonah Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> HI Liviu,
>
> Are you asking if shipping the GNU ARM Eclipse plug-ins with a minimum
> version of CDT of 9.2.1 is OK?

yes.

> I certainly think so.

great!

> It sounds like that will ease your testing
> burden because that will mean only Neon.3 and Oxygen versions are
> supported/verified. While I think the CDT 8.x vs CDT 9.x issues have
> now been resolved for you, not having to worry about supporting CDT
> 8.x seems like a positive too.

actually not testing with previous versions bothers me, but with each CDT version I expect something to break, and my fear is based on the countless warnings I get, since I have no idea when the deprecated classes will be removed.

so, the correct questions would be:

- are there any significant problems to expect when raising the API Baseline from 8.6 to 9.2.1?
- how difficult would be to fix the warnings? if fixing all warnings is not realistic, what should be the priorities? which APIs are most likely to go?

regards,

Liviu

Re: Is an API Baseline update to Neon.3 ok?

Liviu Ionescu-2

> On 16 May 2017, at 13:10, Jonah Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ... Are you asking if shipping the GNU ARM Eclipse plug-ins with a minimum
> version of CDT of 9.2.1 is OK?

yes

> I certainly think so.

great!

> It sounds like that will ease your testing
> burden because that will mean only Neon.3 and Oxygen versions are
> supported/verified. While I think the CDT 8.x vs CDT 9.x issues have
> now been resolved for you, not having to worry about supporting CDT
> 8.x seems like a positive too.

I just updated my development environment to Eclipse Neon.3, and reconfigured the project build to 9.2.1 API Baseline, with Java 1.8.

The good news is that the builds passed, both the maven repositories build, and the internal Eclipse build, for debug.

The bad news is that I have 190 deprecation warnings... :-(

looks like I'll have some very boring next few days...

regards,

Liviu

Re: Is an API Baseline update to Neon.3 ok?

Jonah Graham
Hi Liviu,

None of the Deprecated code in CDT will be removed anytime soon. Not before CDT 10.0, which is a long way off (in fact there is no major version bump planned in CDT.)

The Platform has a similar long retention policy on Deprecated code. The minimum is they keep the code for 2 years after announcing intention to delete the code. And deprecating code in itself ia not an intention to delete the code, but rather an indication that there is a newer/better way to do something.

HTH
Jonah

On 17 May 2017 06:58, "Liviu Ionescu" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16 May 2017, at 13:10, Jonah Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ... Are you asking if shipping the GNU ARM Eclipse plug-ins with a minimum
> version of CDT of 9.2.1 is OK?

yes

> I certainly think so.

great!

> It sounds like that will ease your testing
> burden because that will mean only Neon.3 and Oxygen versions are
> supported/verified. While I think the CDT 8.x vs CDT 9.x issues have
> now been resolved for you, not having to worry about supporting CDT
> 8.x seems like a positive too.

I just updated my development environment to Eclipse Neon.3, and reconfigured the project build to 9.2.1 API Baseline, with Java 1.8.

The good news is that the builds passed, both the maven repositories build, and the internal Eclipse build, for debug.

The bad news is that I have 190 deprecation warnings... :-(

looks like I'll have some very boring next few days...

regards,

Liviu

Re: Is an API Baseline update to Neon.3 ok?

Liviu Ionescu-2

> On 17 May 2017, at 09:24, Jonah Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Liviu,
>
> None of the Deprecated code in CDT will be removed anytime soon. Not before CDT 10.0, which is a long way off (in fact there is no major version bump planned in CDT.)

ok.

> The Platform has a similar long retention policy on Deprecated code. The minimum is they keep the code for 2 years after announcing intention to delete the code. And deprecating code in itself ia not an intention to delete the code, but rather an indication that there is a newer/better way to do something.

my code is much older than 2 years, it was written for CDT 8.3.

I'll try to get rid of as many deprecation warnings as possible, and, if I have problems, come back to you.

thank you,

Liviu