Quantcast

Maintenance guide for the JDT index

Stefan Xenos-3
TL;DR: I'd like to write a maintenance guide for the JDT index. Where should I put it and in what form?

While working on the new index, I've developed techniques for addressing the most common tasks:

- How do you benchmark the indexer?
- How do you find the cause of index corruption?
- How do you add new structures to the index?
- How can you test the index in a fragment state?
- How do you locate the problem if the content of the index doesn't match what's expected?
- How do you determine what's taking up the most space in the index?
- How do you test if an existing index is corrupt?

I was thinking of writing a guide describing the various processes I follow, to help others that may need to fix bugs with it in the future.

Where would the best place be to put such a guide? Since the folks on this list are the main audience for it, what form would you prefer to consume it in?

  - Stefan

Re: Maintenance guide for the JDT index

Lars Vogel-2
Hi Stefan,

sounds like you are leaving soon the project..... I hope that is not
the case, I don't think anyone from the current committer base will
have the capacity to pick the index work

Best regards, Lars

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 7:37 PM, Stefan Xenos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> TL;DR: I'd like to write a maintenance guide for the JDT index. Where should
> I put it and in what form?
>
> While working on the new index, I've developed techniques for addressing the
> most common tasks:
>
> - How do you benchmark the indexer?
> - How do you find the cause of index corruption?
> - How do you add new structures to the index?
> - How can you test the index in a fragment state?
> - How do you locate the problem if the content of the index doesn't match
> what's expected?
> - How do you determine what's taking up the most space in the index?
> - How do you test if an existing index is corrupt?
>
> I was thinking of writing a guide describing the various processes I follow,
> to help others that may need to fix bugs with it in the future.
>
> Where would the best place be to put such a guide? Since the folks on this
> list are the main audience for it, what form would you prefer to consume it
> in?
>
>   - Stefan

CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web: http://www.vogella.com

Re: Maintenance guide for the JDT index

Manoj Palat-2

Hi Stefan,

Good that you plan to document this. You can put it in https://wiki.eclipse.org/JDT_Core_Programmer_Guide#Indexing. Ideal would be to create a page for the new indexing and put a pointer to the page - you can rename the existing section as legacy_indexing

Regards,
Manoj

Inactive hide details for Stefan Xenos ---03/29/2017 11:07:45 PM---TL;DR: I'd like to write a maintenance guide for the JDT indStefan Xenos ---03/29/2017 11:07:45 PM---TL;DR: I'd like to write a maintenance guide for the JDT index. Where should I put it and in what fo

From: Stefan Xenos <[hidden email]>
To: "Eclipse JDT Core developers list." <[hidden email]>
Date: 03/29/2017 11:07 PM
Subject: [jdt-core-dev] Maintenance guide for the JDT index
Sent by: [hidden email]

[...]

jdt-core-dev mailing list
https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/jdt-core-dev

Re: Maintenance guide for the JDT index

Stefan Xenos-3
Haha, no. Please don't read any double meaning into that.

I just want to make sure my code is properly documented since the diagnostic tools I've built for the index and indexer aren't really described anywhere.

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 11:55 AM, Lars Vogel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Stefan,

sounds like you are leaving soon the project..... I hope that is not
the case, I don't think anyone from the current committer base will
have the capacity to pick the index work

Best regards, Lars

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 7:37 PM, Stefan Xenos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> TL;DR: I'd like to write a maintenance guide for the JDT index. Where should
> I put it and in what form?
>
> While working on the new index, I've developed techniques for addressing the
> most common tasks:
>
> - How do you benchmark the indexer?
> - How do you find the cause of index corruption?
> - How do you add new structures to the index?
> - How can you test the index in a fragment state?
> - How do you locate the problem if the content of the index doesn't match
> what's expected?
> - How do you determine what's taking up the most space in the index?
> - How do you test if an existing index is corrupt?
>
> I was thinking of writing a guide describing the various processes I follow,
> to help others that may need to fix bugs with it in the future.
>
> Where would the best place be to put such a guide? Since the folks on this
> list are the main audience for it, what form would you prefer to consume it
> in?
>
>   - Stefan

CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web: http://www.vogella.com

Re: Maintenance guide for the JDT index

Lars Vogel-2
Great to hear. Loosing you, would bring us back to the dark age of Eclipse development.

Fax <a href="tel:040%2052476322" value="+494052476322" target="_blank">(040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web: http://www.vogella.com