Moving JDT's LTK bundles to eclipse.platform.text?

Moving JDT's LTK bundles to eclipse.platform.text?

Mickael Istria-5
Hi all,

[Context: I'm willing to add support to delete nested project from the delete project dialog, and found out the the common debug project dialog is actually in JDT repo]
I've seen that eclipse.jdt.ui repo contains multiple org.eclipse.ltk.* bundles that have no dependency on JDT and that provide some very cross-language features. I have the impression moving those to eclipse.platform.ui, eclipse.platform.text (or a new eclipse.platform.ltk) would allow to better organize separation of concerns and could be a key factor of success for our Platform UI plan item "Improve LTK".

Is anyone aware of any concern about trying to move those bundles out of JDT to a more shared place?

Mickael Istria
Eclipse IDE developer, at Red Hat Developers community
Elected Committer Representative at the Eclipse Foundation board of directors

Re: Moving JDT's LTK bundles to eclipse.platform.text?

Lars Vogel-2
+1 for the move.

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 11:47 AM, Mickael Istria <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> [Context: I'm willing to add support to delete nested project from the
> delete project dialog, and found out the the common debug project dialog is
> actually in JDT repo]
> I've seen that eclipse.jdt.ui repo contains multiple org.eclipse.ltk.*
> bundles that have no dependency on JDT and that provide some very
> cross-language features. I have the impression moving those to
> eclipse.platform.ui, eclipse.platform.text (or a new eclipse.platform.ltk)
> would allow to better organize separation of concerns and could be a key
> factor of success for our Platform UI plan item "Improve LTK".
>
> Is anyone aware of any concern about trying to move those bundles out of JDT
> to a more shared place?
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Mickael Istria
> Eclipse IDE developer, at Red Hat Developers community
> Elected Committer Representative at the Eclipse Foundation board of
> directors

Eclipse Platform project co-lead
CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg