Quantcast

New Console View Toolbar Button

Doug Schaefer-3
Hey gang, probably my first post here. Long overdue.

I notice that platform.debug owns the Console View. One thing I’ve done for org.eclipse.remote is to use the Console View to hold a Terminal widget on a page for command shells on remote connections. Once I did that, I found the need to be able to create new console views and pin them to specific terminal pages.

Of course if you do that often, you become very frustrated that the New Console View is actually in with the console factories. I’ve experimented by adding a toolbar button instead and really like how much simpler that is, especially being in the same place as the Pin button.

So, I guess two questions. Is this a feature we should add to the Console View itself?

Second, what is the appetite for doing this in the Neon.2 release? Are we allow to make such changes in a maintenance release of the platform?

Look forward to your thoughts.
Doug.

Re: New Console View Toolbar Button

Sarika Sinha

This looks like a feature to be discussed for Oxygen and not Neon.2 release.
Please create an enhancement bug.

Thanks & Regards,
Sarika

Inactive hide details for Doug Schaefer ---08/26/2016 09:25:42 PM---Hey gang, probably my first post here. Long overdue. I notiDoug Schaefer ---08/26/2016 09:25:42 PM---Hey gang, probably my first post here. Long overdue. I notice that platform.debug owns the Console V

From: Doug Schaefer <[hidden email]>
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date: 08/26/2016 09:25 PM
Subject: [platform-debug-dev] New Console View Toolbar Button
Sent by: [hidden email]

[...]

platform-debug-dev mailing list
https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/platform-debug-dev

Re: New Console View Toolbar Button

Daniel Megert
I suggest we first look into this for Oxygen. If we have something that works, I'm open to discuss putting it into Neon.2 or .3.

Dani

From:        "Sarika Sinha" <[hidden email]>
To:        "Eclipse Platform Debug component developers list." <[hidden email]>
Date:        27.08.2016 05:11
Sent by:        [hidden email]

This looks like a feature to be discussed for Oxygen and not Neon.2 release.
Please create an enhancement bug.

Thanks & Regards,
Sarika

Doug Schaefer ---08/26/2016 09:25:42 PM---Hey gang, probably my first post here. Long overdue. I notice that platform.debug owns the Console V

From:
Doug Schaefer <[hidden email]>
To:
"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date:
08/26/2016 09:25 PM
Subject:
[platform-debug-dev] New Console View Toolbar Button
Sent by:
[hidden email]

[...]

I had an alternative suggested to me. The menu command that creates the console from our Connections view could also create a new Console View. Though that kinda defeats the purpose of putting them in the Console View, I.e. So they can share it.

I’ve also been able to create a toolbar button for this from our product that I can experiment with.

Let’s make this for Oxygen and I’ll play around with a few ideas and see what’s best.

Thanks!
Doug.

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Daniel Megert <[hidden email]>
Date: Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 11:34 AM
To: "Eclipse Platform Debug component developers list." <[hidden email]>

From:        "Sarika Sinha" <[hidden email]>
To:        "Eclipse Platform Debug component developers list." <[hidden email]>
Date:        27.08.2016 05:11
Sent by:        [hidden email]

This looks like a feature to be discussed for Oxygen and not Neon.2 release.
Please create an enhancement bug.

Thanks & Regards,
Sarika

Doug Schaefer ---08/26/2016 09:25:42 PM---Hey gang, probably my first post here. Long overdue. I notice that platform.debug owns the Console V

From:
Doug Schaefer <[hidden email]>
To:
"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date:
08/26/2016 09:25 PM
Subject:

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Daniel Megert <[hidden email]>
Date: Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 11:34 AM
To: "Eclipse Platform Debug component developers list." <[hidden email]>

From:        "Sarika Sinha" <[hidden email]>
To:        "Eclipse Platform Debug component developers list." <[hidden email]>
Date:        27.08.2016 05:11
Sent by:        [hidden email]

This looks like a feature to be discussed for Oxygen and not Neon.2 release.
Please create an enhancement bug.

Thanks & Regards,
Sarika

Doug Schaefer ---08/26/2016 09:25:42 PM---Hey gang, probably my first post here. Long overdue. I notice that platform.debug owns the Console V

From:
Doug Schaefer <[hidden email]>
To:
"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>