Newbie Question: Best way to start the JUnit tests

Newbie Question: Best way to start the JUnit tests

Michael Uhl (CTR)
Hello,
I am new to the CDT-developement. My question is how the tests should be launched on my local developement machine. Should I use the "org.eclipse.cdt.core.suite.AutomatedIntegrationSuite" as a "JUnit Plugin Test"? I did not find this information in the wikil

Regards
Michael Uhl

Re: Newbie Question: Best way to start the JUnit tests

Jonah Graham
Hello Michael,

Welcome! And thank you for asking the question.

You should run tests as JUnit Plug-in Test. Using the AutomatedIntegrationSuite is a good way for running a collection of tests, or you can run a package of tests, or even an individual test in the area you are interested in. (Feel free to add to the docs, or let me know where you looked so I know where it is best to add the info.)

However to run the entire test suite on your own computer can be a little more challenging as you need all the tools and correct versions. So I would focus on the tests in the area you are modifying and rely on the gerrit verification builds to check all the other tests. If you do want to run all of CDT's tests, CDT has a docker container with all the tools you can use.

What areas are you looking at? Is there a particular bug you are trying to tackle?

Kichwa Coders
www.kichwacoders.com

On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 at 05:38, Michael Uhl (CTR) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,
I am new to the CDT-developement. My question is how the tests should be launched on my local developement machine. Should I use the "org.eclipse.cdt.core.suite.AutomatedIntegrationSuite" as a "JUnit Plugin Test"? I did not find this information in the wikil

Regards
Michael Uhl

Re: Newbie Question: Best way to start the JUnit tests

Michael Uhl (CTR)
Hello,
thanks for your response. I looked the documentation up here:
https://wiki.eclipse.org/Getting_started_with_CDT_development

There is just written: "If you want to run tests, add the corresponding test project, for example, org.eclipse.cdt.core.tests."

As you predicted I have some test failures. So I tried to use the docker build. I used the docker image from here: "https://github.com/eclipse-cdt/cdt-infra/tree/master/docker". But I suspect that the image resulting from this build is not the correct docker image for the jenkins build. Do you know which docker image I can use to run the cdt tests in the same environment than in the original build process?

Thank you very much for your answer.

Regards
Michael Uhl

Re: Newbie Question: Best way to start the JUnit tests

Moritz Strübe
Hey.

Am 14.09.2020 um 11:37 schrieb Michael Uhl (CTR):
> As you predicted I have some test failures. So I tried to use the
> docker build. I used the docker image from here:
> "https://github.com/eclipse-cdt/cdt-infra/tree/master/docker
> <https://github.com/eclipse-cdt/cdt-infra/tree/master/docker>". But I
> suspect that the image resulting from this build is not the correct
> docker image for the jenkins build. Do you know which docker image I
> can use to run the cdt tests in the same environment than in the
> original build process?

If you have all this information together, I'd really appreciate if you
could update/create the documentation. That will probably save me some
time when I get to writing tests for my code.

Cheers
Morty

--
Redheads Ltd. Softwaredienstleistungen