Publishing to Maven Central

Stephan Herrmann-2
Hi EMF :)

In https://bugs.eclipse.org/408760 I'm working on publishing all
artifacts of the Eclipse Project to Maven Central.

Initially, I naively thought, that this would comprise *everything*
in the release repo of the Eclipse Project.

Only later it dawned on me that artifacts from other projects
are involved, too, notably: EMF :)

Since we can only publish stuff where all dependencies already
exist on Maven Central, and given that we are targeting to publish
Neon.2 for which naturally no EMF artifacts are yet available
on Maven Central here my questions:

   Does EMF routinely publish all artifacts to Central?

   When may we expect Neon.2 artifacts to be available?

   Is org.eclipse.emf the correct groupId for referring to EMF artifacts?

Strangely, I see the latest EMF artifacts only in groupId org.eclipse.birt.runtime ?!?

thanks,
Stephan

Re: Publishing to Maven Central

Dennis Hübner-2

> Am 15.12.2016 um 21:41 schrieb Stephan Herrmann <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi EMF :)

Hello Stephan,

I’m not EMF, but I will try to answer :)

> In https://bugs.eclipse.org/408760 I'm working on publishing all
> artifacts of the Eclipse Project to Maven Central.
>
> Initially, I naively thought, that this would comprise *everything*
> in the release repo of the Eclipse Project.
>
> Only later it dawned on me that artifacts from other projects
> are involved, too, notably: EMF :)
>
> Since we can only publish stuff where all dependencies already
> exist on Maven Central, and given that we are targeting to publish
> Neon.2 for which naturally no EMF artifacts are yet available
> on Maven Central here my questions:
>
>  Does EMF routinely publish all artifacts to Central?

No. We never had a target to feed the maven repository with our excellent framework. But
this may change in the future. The only guy behind existing EMF maven artifacts is Martin Taal.

>  When may we expect Neon.2 artifacts to be available?
If one asks Martin and he has time.

>  Is org.eclipse.emf the correct groupId for referring to EMF artifacts?
Yes.

> Strangely, I see the latest EMF artifacts only in groupId org.eclipse.birt.runtime ?!?
They have there own artifacts.

> thanks,
> Stephan

Viele Grüße,
Dennis Hübner

Re: Publishing to Maven Central

Martin Taal-2
Hi,
Indeed as Dennis mentions I publish EMF artifacts on request. I use a partial automated script for this. I am happy to continue doing this and normally I should be able to do it within a couple of days of someone asking it.

I can imagine that it can make sense to make this part of an automated build step at some point. Until then no problem for me to continue with it.

I will publish the EMF artifacts for neon.2 the upcoming days (this weekend) to get you going.

Let me know ofcourse if anyone has any comments on this.

gr. Martin

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 9:17 AM Dennis Hübner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 15.12.2016 um 21:41 schrieb Stephan Herrmann <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi EMF :)

Hello Stephan,

I’m not EMF, but I will try to answer :)

> In https://bugs.eclipse.org/408760 I'm working on publishing all
> artifacts of the Eclipse Project to Maven Central.
>
> Initially, I naively thought, that this would comprise *everything*
> in the release repo of the Eclipse Project.
>
> Only later it dawned on me that artifacts from other projects
> are involved, too, notably: EMF :)
>
> Since we can only publish stuff where all dependencies already
> exist on Maven Central, and given that we are targeting to publish
> Neon.2 for which naturally no EMF artifacts are yet available
> on Maven Central here my questions:
>
>  Does EMF routinely publish all artifacts to Central?

No. We never had a target to feed the maven repository with our excellent framework. But
this may change in the future. The only guy behind existing EMF maven artifacts is Martin Taal.

>  When may we expect Neon.2 artifacts to be available?
If one asks Martin and he has time.

>  Is org.eclipse.emf the correct groupId for referring to EMF artifacts?
Yes.

> Strangely, I see the latest EMF artifacts only in groupId org.eclipse.birt.runtime ?!?
They have there own artifacts.

> thanks,
> Stephan

Viele Grüße,
Dennis Hübner

--
With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite
Nassaulaan 7
3941 EC Doorn
The Netherlands

C: +31 (0) 6 288 48 943
S: martintaal

Re: Publishing to Maven Central

LE FEVRE FRANCOIS

Hello

Thanks for the publication of EMF artifacts to Eclipse Nexus.

I have two remarks:

1.       Automatic

a.       I think it is preferable to have a continuous integration and a job dedicated to publish EMF artifacts in a snapshot and release nexus repositories.

2.       One repo for Eclipse train

a.       Do you think it could be possible at term that Eclipse plugins that are part of the release train could publish all artifacts in a shared nexus repository avoiding to reference multiple nexus repositories?

Point 1 is the more critic for me.

Perhaps we could create a vote/bugzilla on it?

+1, for me

Francois

Indeed as Dennis mentions I publish EMF artifacts on request. I use a partial automated script for this. I am happy to continue doing this and normally I should be able to do it within a couple of days of someone asking it.

I can imagine that it can make sense to make this part of an automated build step at some point. Until then no problem for me to continue with it.

I will publish the EMF artifacts for neon.2 the upcoming days (this weekend) to get you going.

Let me know ofcourse if anyone has any comments on this.

gr. Martin

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 9:17 AM Dennis Hübner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 15.12.2016 um 21:41 schrieb Stephan Herrmann <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi EMF :)

Hello Stephan,

I’m not EMF, but I will try to answer :)

> In https://bugs.eclipse.org/408760 I'm working on publishing all
> artifacts of the Eclipse Project to Maven Central.
>
> Initially, I naively thought, that this would comprise *everything*
> in the release repo of the Eclipse Project.
>
> Only later it dawned on me that artifacts from other projects
> are involved, too, notably: EMF :)
>
> Since we can only publish stuff where all dependencies already
> exist on Maven Central, and given that we are targeting to publish
> Neon.2 for which naturally no EMF artifacts are yet available
> on Maven Central here my questions:
>
>  Does EMF routinely publish all artifacts to Central?

No. We never had a target to feed the maven repository with our excellent framework. But
this may change in the future. The only guy behind existing EMF maven artifacts is Martin Taal.

>  When may we expect Neon.2 artifacts to be available?
If one asks Martin and he has time.

>  Is org.eclipse.emf the correct groupId for referring to EMF artifacts?
Yes.

> Strangely, I see the latest EMF artifacts only in groupId org.eclipse.birt.runtime ?!?
They have there own artifacts.

> thanks,
> Stephan

Viele Grüße,
Dennis Hübner

--

With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite

Nassaulaan 7

3941 EC Doorn

The Netherlands

C: +31 (0) 6 288 48 943

S: martintaal

Re: Publishing to Maven Central

Ed Willink

Hi

I disagree. EMF is just the first on a slippery slope of all modeling artefacts.

IMHO, there should be a standard EF facility closely related to the SimRel aggregator that automatically publishes all SimRel contributions, other than those that opt out, either because they have traditional practices that they wish to continue using, or because they really should not be published.

    Regards

        Ed Willink

Viele Grüße,
Dennis Hübner

--

With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite

Nassaulaan 7

3941 EC Doorn

The Netherlands

C: +31 (0) 6 288 48 943

S: martintaal

Avast logo

Re: Publishing to Maven Central

Stephan Herrmann-2
Hi Martin,

Having EMF 2.12.0 in Maven Central within a few days would be awesome!

Are your scripts available online somewhere?
Maybe we can take them for additional inspiration to get the same thing
automated for the Eclipse Project?

thanks,
Stephan

Indeed as Dennis mentions I publish EMF artifacts on request. I use a partial automated script for this. I am happy to continue doing this and normally I should be able to do it within a couple of days of someone asking it.

I can imagine that it can make sense to make this part of an automated build step at some point. Until then no problem for me to continue with it.

I will publish the EMF artifacts for neon.2 the upcoming days (this weekend) to get you going.

Let me know ofcourse if anyone has any comments on this.

gr. Martin

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 9:17 AM Dennis Hübner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 15.12.2016 um 21:41 schrieb Stephan Herrmann <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi EMF :)

Hello Stephan,

I’m not EMF, but I will try to answer :)

> In https://bugs.eclipse.org/408760 I'm working on publishing all
> artifacts of the Eclipse Project to Maven Central.
>
> Initially, I naively thought, that this would comprise *everything*
> in the release repo of the Eclipse Project.
>
> Only later it dawned on me that artifacts from other projects
> are involved, too, notably: EMF :)
>
> Since we can only publish stuff where all dependencies already
> exist on Maven Central, and given that we are targeting to publish
> Neon.2 for which naturally no EMF artifacts are yet available
> on Maven Central here my questions:
>
>  Does EMF routinely publish all artifacts to Central?

No. We never had a target to feed the maven repository with our excellent framework. But
this may change in the future. The only guy behind existing EMF maven artifacts is Martin Taal.

>  When may we expect Neon.2 artifacts to be available?
If one asks Martin and he has time.

>  Is org.eclipse.emf the correct groupId for referring to EMF artifacts?
Yes.

> Strangely, I see the latest EMF artifacts only in groupId org.eclipse.birt.runtime ?!?
They have there own artifacts.

> thanks,
> Stephan

Viele Grüße,
Dennis Hübner

--
With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite
Nassaulaan 7
3941 EC Doorn
The Netherlands

C: +31 (0) 6 288 48 943
S: martintaal

---- ursprüngliche Nachricht Ende ----

Re: Publishing to Maven Central

Stephan Herrmann-2
Hi Ed,

from my understanding there is just one step that must be handled by each "project":
create and use an account (matching a maven groupId) at OSSRH.
(Granularity can be decided within each top-level project,
 even one huge group org.eclipse.modelling would be possible)

Other than that I agree, I just want to conquer one level at the time, s.t. like:

1. Get Eclipse SDK Neon.2 published soon

2. Get this automated as much as possible

3. "Invite" others to join (opt-in/opt-out is not for me to decide).

Still a few yards towards (1), but getting closer.
Good to know there will be allies for the subsequent levels..

cheers,
Stephan

Indeed as Dennis mentions I publish EMF artifacts on request. I use a partial automated script for this. I am happy to continue doing this and normally I should be able to do it within a couple of days of someone asking it.

I can imagine that it can make sense to make this part of an automated build step at some point. Until then no problem for me to continue with it.

I will publish the EMF artifacts for neon.2 the upcoming days (this weekend) to get you going.

Let me know ofcourse if anyone has any comments on this.

gr. Martin

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 9:17 AM Dennis Hübner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 15.12.2016 um 21:41 schrieb Stephan Herrmann <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi EMF :)

Hello Stephan,

I’m not EMF, but I will try to answer :)

> In https://bugs.eclipse.org/408760 I'm working on publishing all
> artifacts of the Eclipse Project to Maven Central.
>
> Initially, I naively thought, that this would comprise *everything*
> in the release repo of the Eclipse Project.
>
> Only later it dawned on me that artifacts from other projects
> are involved, too, notably: EMF :)
>
> Since we can only publish stuff where all dependencies already
> exist on Maven Central, and given that we are targeting to publish
> Neon.2 for which naturally no EMF artifacts are yet available
> on Maven Central here my questions:
>
>  Does EMF routinely publish all artifacts to Central?

No. We never had a target to feed the maven repository with our excellent framework. But
this may change in the future. The only guy behind existing EMF maven artifacts is Martin Taal.

>  When may we expect Neon.2 artifacts to be available?
If one asks Martin and he has time.

>  Is org.eclipse.emf the correct groupId for referring to EMF artifacts?
Yes.

> Strangely, I see the latest EMF artifacts only in groupId org.eclipse.birt.runtime ?!?
They have there own artifacts.

> thanks,
> Stephan

Viele Grüße,
Dennis Hübner

--

With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite

Nassaulaan 7

3941 EC Doorn

The Netherlands

C: +31 (0) 6 288 48 943

S: martintaal

Avast logo

---- ursprüngliche Nachricht Ende ----

Re: Publishing to Maven Central

Ed Willink

Hi Stephan

Once someone provides/advertises a ?CBI? wiki page that explains exactly how to follow the "just one step", I will endeavour to follow it for my projects. However migration from Buckminster to Tycho is still on my to-do list.

If a standard account at OSSRH is required, then I could argue that EF IT should create it, since EF IT should be able to step in and maintain it in extremis. EF IT could create corresponding releng accounts, perhaps requiring a first time password definition by the true user.

    Regards

        Ed Willink

Viele Grüße,
Dennis Hübner

--

With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite

Nassaulaan 7

3941 EC Doorn

The Netherlands

C: +31 (0) 6 288 48 943

S: martintaal

Avast logo

---- ursprüngliche Nachricht Ende ----

Avast logo

Re: Publishing to Maven Central

Stephan Herrmann-2
Hi Martin,

Looking at existing emf artifacts in Maven Central, I see that
those have versions in the format like 2.11.1-v20150805-0538

First it's great to see that the qualifier is separated by '-',
not '.', so these are indeed parsable maven versions.

For the Eclipse Project we decided to publish our artifacts
with 3-part versions, i.e., no qualifier at all, in order
to avoid interpretation as snapshots (we are not publishing
any snapshots to maven).

I quickly made the test that
     <dependency>
         <groupId>org.eclipse.emf</groupId>
         <artifactId>org.eclipse.emf.ecore</artifactId>
         <version>2.11.1</version>
     </dependency>
cannot be resolved from Maven Central, although EMF 2.11.1
clearly has been published.

Do you see particular reasons why the qualifier would be
important for users? Or is this just an artifact of the
build tools being used?
In my current reading maven would parse "2.11.1-v20150805-0538"
as [2, 11, 1, v, 20160805, 0538] and I have only vague guesses
what this could mean semantically.

If by chance you are using the cbi aggregator (formerly
b3 aggregator), you could actually set a newly introduced
property "Version Format=Maven Release" [1].

 From my p.o.v. this would be preferable, make artifacts
more maven-like. OTOH, I checked that no artifacts from
the Eclipse Project strictly require "2.12.0" (Neon.2).

Ergo: I believe it would be more consistent if we all use
3-part release versions for maven artifacts, but my current
effort doesn't seem to depend on any change in EMF.

thanks,
Stephan

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/CBI/aggregator/manual#Creating_a_Maven-conformant_p2_repo

On 12/16/2016 09:28 AM, Martin Taal wrote:

> [...]
>

>     >
>     > Strangely, I see the latest EMF artifacts only in groupId org.eclipse.birt.runtime ?!?
>     They have there own artifacts.
>
>     >
>     > thanks,
>     > Stephan
>     > emf-dev mailing list
>     > To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe from this list, visit
>     > https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/emf-dev
>
>     Viele Grüße,
>     Dennis Hübner
>
> --
> With Regards, Martin Taal
>
> Springsite
> Nassaulaan 7
> 3941 EC Doorn
> The Netherlands
>
> C: +31 (0) 6 288 48 943
> M: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> - [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Hi Stephan,
I had no particular reason to include the qualifier other than this allows to publish multiple 2.11.1 versions. So no problem for me to publish without a qualifier for the versions which are part of a real release.

The script I have takes a downloaded EMF update site and creates the maven artifacts, then I have a separate publish ant script and go to the maven central repo to manually release the jars. The maven artifacts are quite bare/simple but they worked until now.

Since 2.11.1 there are 2 new versions: 2.12.0, 2.11.2, and there is also 2.11.1 (without qualifier). Will publish all three of them.

gr. Martin

On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 12:57 PM Stephan Herrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

 From my p.o.v. this would be preferable, make artifacts
> [...]

>     They have there own artifacts.
>
>     >
>     > thanks,
>     > Stephan
>     > _______________________________________________
>     > emf-dev mailing list
>     > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe from this list, visit
>     > https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/emf-dev
>
>     Viele Grüße,
>     Dennis Hübner
>
> --
> With Regards, Martin Taal
>
> Springsite
> Nassaulaan 7
> 3941 EC Doorn
> The Netherlands
>
> C: +31 (0) 6 288 48 943
> M: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> - [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite
Nassaulaan 7
3941 EC Doorn
The Netherlands

C: +31 (0) 6 288 48 943
S: martintaal

Re: Publishing to Maven Central

Martin Taal-2
Hi Stephan,
I published 2.11.1 (might take a couple of hours before on maven central) without the qualifier. Note that even it is the 2.11.1 release some plugin jar files within the release have an older/lower version number (e.g. 2.11.0), I assume because they haven't changed since the previous version.

Let me know if this works for you, if so then I will publish 2.11.2 and 2.12.0.

gr. Martin

On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 3:03 PM Martin Taal <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

 From my p.o.v. this would be preferable, make artifacts
> [...]

>     They have there own artifacts.
>
>     >
>     > thanks,
>     > Stephan
>     > _______________________________________________
>     > emf-dev mailing list
>     > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe from this list, visit
>     > https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/emf-dev
>
>     Viele Grüße,
>     Dennis Hübner
>
> --
> With Regards, Martin Taal
>
> Springsite
> Nassaulaan 7
> 3941 EC Doorn
> The Netherlands
>
> C: +31 (0) 6 288 48 943
> M: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> - [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite
Nassaulaan 7
3941 EC Doorn
The Netherlands

C: +31 (0) 6 288 48 943
S: martintaal
--
With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite
Nassaulaan 7
3941 EC Doorn
The Netherlands

C: +31 (0) 6 288 48 943
S: martintaal

On 12/16/2016 04:24 PM, Ed Willink wrote:
> Hi Stephan
>
> Once someone provides/advertises a ?CBI? wiki page that explains exactly how to follow the "just one step", I will endeavour to
> follow it for my projects. However migration from Buckminster to Tycho is still on my to-do list.

Nothing of what I do requires tycho, currently.
Need a p2 repo as input plus calling cbi aggregator
  + a few shell scripts for preparation.
The final steps I cannot yet tell :)
Ah, you should set Eclipse-SourceReferences for easy processing,
but you should do that for SimRel anyway :)

> If a standard account at OSSRH is required, then I could argue that EF IT should create it, since EF IT should be able to step in
> and maintain it in extremis. EF IT could create corresponding releng accounts, perhaps requiring a first time password definition by
> the true user.

The accounts must be per groupId (required by OSSRH)
  - so one standard account won't cut it,
you'll need your own org.eclipse.ocl account or such.
Then the account will be tied to a HIPP
from where the actual publishing will happen.

Good to know there's s.o. who will proof read,
once we put our experience in the wiki :)

best,
Stephan

Re: Publishing to Maven Central

Ed Willink
Hi

Eclipse-SourceReferences is another thing I do not understand. I would
expect a standard Buckminster step to do it automatically. IIRC I found
settings that should configure it, but David's reports always list my
projects as non-compliant.

I'm not suggesting one standard account. However I am arging that e.g.
org.eclipse.ocl be initially created by EF IT so that they have a
password, and then they create additional users for releng committers.

     Regards

         Ed Willink

On 18/12/2016 00:57, Stephan Herrmann wrote:

> On 12/16/2016 04:24 PM, Ed Willink wrote:
>> Hi Stephan
>>
>> Once someone provides/advertises a ?CBI? wiki page that explains
>> exactly how to follow the "just one step", I will endeavour to
>> follow it for my projects. However migration from Buckminster to
>> Tycho is still on my to-do list.
>
> Nothing of what I do requires tycho, currently.
> Need a p2 repo as input plus calling cbi aggregator
>  + a few shell scripts for preparation.
> The final steps I cannot yet tell :)
> Ah, you should set Eclipse-SourceReferences for easy processing,
> but you should do that for SimRel anyway :)
>
>> If a standard account at OSSRH is required, then I could argue that
>> EF IT should create it, since EF IT should be able to step in
>> and maintain it in extremis. EF IT could create corresponding releng
>> accounts, perhaps requiring a first time password definition by
>> the true user.
>
> The accounts must be per groupId (required by OSSRH)
>  - so one standard account won't cut it,
> you'll need your own org.eclipse.ocl account or such.
> Then the account will be tied to a HIPP
> from where the actual publishing will happen.
>
> Good to know there's s.o. who will proof read,
> once we put our experience in the wiki :)
>
> best,
> Stephan

---

Re: Publishing to Maven Central

Stephan Herrmann-2
Sorry for slow response,

Yes, 2.11.1 can be successfully used from Maven Central.

The only reason I was hesitating, is the observation that
   [2.11.1,)
still resolves to
   2.11.1-v20150805-0538

Even by consulting the "document" at
   https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVENOLD/Versioning
it's beyond me to clearly see the semantics of such ranges.

Only deep down in that document I find
   "If the string is not present, then qualifiers.size() + "-" + string is returned."
which seems to imply that any unknown qualifier is considered greater than all
known qualifiers including the empty qualifier standing for release.

So a definitely final 3-part version would need as its qualifier an infinite
sequence of "last character in charset", go figure.

I'm probably trying to read more meaning in Maven's design than there is.

Anyway, yes, absent qualifier represents release / ga / final,
and that's what we want.

Being able to include EMF as <version>2.11.1</version> is a step forward in its own right.
(this wasn't possible before).

And for new versions only having the 3-part version on Maven Central
should avoid some confusion in the future, I hope.

thanks!
Stephan

On 12/17/2016 03:21 PM, Martin Taal wrote:

> [...]
>         > https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/emf-dev
>         >

>     --
>     With Regards, Martin Taal
>
>     Springsite
>     Nassaulaan 7
>     3941 EC Doorn
>     The Netherlands
>
>     C: +31 (0) 6 288 48 943
>     M: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> - [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     S: martintaal
>
> --
> With Regards, Martin Taal
>
> Springsite
> Nassaulaan 7
> 3941 EC Doorn
> The Netherlands
>
> C: +31 (0) 6 288 48 943
> M: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> - [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Okay, in any case I just now also published (to Maven) the plugins/jars with the 2.11.2 and 2.12.0 versions. They should be visible on Maven in a couple of hours.

gr. Martin

On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 9:35 PM Stephan Herrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>         > https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/emf-dev
>         >

>     --
>     With Regards, Martin Taal
>
>     Springsite
>     Nassaulaan 7
>     3941 EC Doorn
>     The Netherlands
>
>     C: +31 (0) 6 288 48 943
>     M: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> - [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     S: martintaal
>
> --
> With Regards, Martin Taal
>
> Springsite
> Nassaulaan 7
> 3941 EC Doorn
> The Netherlands
>
> C: +31 (0) 6 288 48 943
> M: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> - [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite
Nassaulaan 7
3941 EC Doorn
The Netherlands

C: +31 (0) 6 288 48 943
S: martintaal

Re: Publishing to Maven Central

Stephan Herrmann-2

It's that time again, now working on Neon.3 for Maven Central.

During tests I came across an unmet dependency from SDK to EMF:

org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench depends on org.eclipse.emf.ecore.change [2.5.0,)
where the latter is not to be found in any Maven repositories.

Is that bundle intentionally excluded from Maven uploads,
or could this easily be added (ideally for Neon.3 :) )?

thanks,
Stephan

On 15.12.2016 21:41, Stephan Herrmann wrote:

> Hi EMF :)
>
> In https://bugs.eclipse.org/408760 I'm working on publishing all
> artifacts of the Eclipse Project to Maven Central.
>
> Initially, I naively thought, that this would comprise *everything*
> in the release repo of the Eclipse Project.
>
> Only later it dawned on me that artifacts from other projects
> are involved, too, notably: EMF :)
>
> Since we can only publish stuff where all dependencies already
> exist on Maven Central, and given that we are targeting to publish
> Neon.2 for which naturally no EMF artifacts are yet available
> on Maven Central here my questions:
>
>   Does EMF routinely publish all artifacts to Central?
>
>   When may we expect Neon.2 artifacts to be available?
>
>   Is org.eclipse.emf the correct groupId for referring to EMF artifacts?
>
> Strangely, I see the latest EMF artifacts only in groupId org.eclipse.birt.runtime ?!?
>
> thanks,
> Stephan

Re: Publishing to Maven Central

Ed Merks-2
Stephan,

I never publish anything to Maven.  Sometimes other people do. It seems
a bit of a free-for-all...

Sorry,
Ed

On 30.03.2017 17:45, Stephan Herrmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It's that time again, now working on Neon.3 for Maven Central.
>
> During tests I came across an unmet dependency from SDK to EMF:
>
> org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench depends on org.eclipse.emf.ecore.change
> [2.5.0,)
> where the latter is not to be found in any Maven repositories.
>
> Is that bundle intentionally excluded from Maven uploads,
> or could this easily be added (ideally for Neon.3 :) )?
>
> thanks,
> Stephan
>
> On 15.12.2016 21:41, Stephan Herrmann wrote:
>> Hi EMF :)
>>
>> In https://bugs.eclipse.org/408760 I'm working on publishing all
>> artifacts of the Eclipse Project to Maven Central.
>>
>> Initially, I naively thought, that this would comprise *everything*
>> in the release repo of the Eclipse Project.
>>
>> Only later it dawned on me that artifacts from other projects
>> are involved, too, notably: EMF :)
>>
>> Since we can only publish stuff where all dependencies already
>> exist on Maven Central, and given that we are targeting to publish
>> Neon.2 for which naturally no EMF artifacts are yet available
>> on Maven Central here my questions:
>>
>>   Does EMF routinely publish all artifacts to Central?
>>
>>   When may we expect Neon.2 artifacts to be available?
>>
>>   Is org.eclipse.emf the correct groupId for referring to EMF artifacts?
>>
>> Strangely, I see the latest EMF artifacts only in groupId
>> org.eclipse.birt.runtime ?!?
>>
>> thanks,
>> Stephan

Re: Publishing to Maven Central

Martin Taal-2
I can publish to maven for EMF. Happy to continue doing that until there is an automated solution.

Will try to do this, this weekend.

gr. Martin

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 11:12 AM Ed Merks <[hidden email]> wrote:
Stephan,

I never publish anything to Maven.  Sometimes other people do. It seems
a bit of a free-for-all...

Sorry,
Ed

On 30.03.2017 17:45, Stephan Herrmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's that time again, now working on Neon.3 for Maven Central.
>
> During tests I came across an unmet dependency from SDK to EMF:
>
> org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench depends on org.eclipse.emf.ecore.change
> [2.5.0,)
> where the latter is not to be found in any Maven repositories.
>
> Is that bundle intentionally excluded from Maven uploads,
> or could this easily be added (ideally for Neon.3 :) )?
>
> thanks,
> Stephan
>
> On 15.12.2016 21:41, Stephan Herrmann wrote:
>> Hi EMF :)
>>
>> In https://bugs.eclipse.org/408760 I'm working on publishing all
>> artifacts of the Eclipse Project to Maven Central.
>>
>> Initially, I naively thought, that this would comprise *everything*
>> in the release repo of the Eclipse Project.
>>
>> Only later it dawned on me that artifacts from other projects
>> are involved, too, notably: EMF :)
>>
>> Since we can only publish stuff where all dependencies already
>> exist on Maven Central, and given that we are targeting to publish
>> Neon.2 for which naturally no EMF artifacts are yet available
>> on Maven Central here my questions:
>>
>>   Does EMF routinely publish all artifacts to Central?
>>
>>   When may we expect Neon.2 artifacts to be available?
>>
>>   Is org.eclipse.emf the correct groupId for referring to EMF artifacts?
>>
>> Strangely, I see the latest EMF artifacts only in groupId
>> org.eclipse.birt.runtime ?!?
>>
>> thanks,
>> Stephan
With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite
Nassaulaan 7
3941 EC Doorn
The Netherlands

C: +31 (0) 6 288 48 943
S: martintaal

Re: Publishing to Maven Central

Martin Taal-2
I published org.eclipse.emf.ecore.change version 2.11 (the latest), should be on maven central in a couple of hours/half a day. Let me know if that works for you (or not).

gr. Martin

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 11:27 AM Martin Taal <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can publish to maven for EMF. Happy to continue doing that until there is an automated solution.

Will try to do this, this weekend.

gr. Martin

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 11:12 AM Ed Merks <[hidden email]> wrote:
Stephan,

I never publish anything to Maven.  Sometimes other people do. It seems
a bit of a free-for-all...

Sorry,
Ed

On 30.03.2017 17:45, Stephan Herrmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's that time again, now working on Neon.3 for Maven Central.
>
> During tests I came across an unmet dependency from SDK to EMF:
>
> org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench depends on org.eclipse.emf.ecore.change
> [2.5.0,)
> where the latter is not to be found in any Maven repositories.
>
> Is that bundle intentionally excluded from Maven uploads,
> or could this easily be added (ideally for Neon.3 :) )?
>
> thanks,
> Stephan
>
> On 15.12.2016 21:41, Stephan Herrmann wrote:
>> Hi EMF :)
>>
>> In https://bugs.eclipse.org/408760 I'm working on publishing all
>> artifacts of the Eclipse Project to Maven Central.
>>
>> Initially, I naively thought, that this would comprise *everything*
>> in the release repo of the Eclipse Project.
>>
>> Only later it dawned on me that artifacts from other projects
>> are involved, too, notably: EMF :)
>>
>> Since we can only publish stuff where all dependencies already
>> exist on Maven Central, and given that we are targeting to publish
>> Neon.2 for which naturally no EMF artifacts are yet available
>> on Maven Central here my questions:
>>
>>   Does EMF routinely publish all artifacts to Central?
>>
>>   When may we expect Neon.2 artifacts to be available?
>>
>>   Is org.eclipse.emf the correct groupId for referring to EMF artifacts?
>>
>> Strangely, I see the latest EMF artifacts only in groupId
>> org.eclipse.birt.runtime ?!?
>>
>> thanks,
>> Stephan
With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite
Nassaulaan 7
3941 EC Doorn
The Netherlands

C: +31 (0) 6 288 48 943
S: martintaal
--
With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite
Nassaulaan 7
3941 EC Doorn
The Netherlands

C: +31 (0) 6 288 48 943
S: martintaal

Re: Publishing to Maven Central

Stephan Herrmann-2
Thanks Martin,

I verified, yep, dependencies via org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench, e.g., can
now be used in maven without any exclusions. Thanks!

@Ed: now that Eclipse SDK will be regularly published to Maven, and given
that this depends on EMF, do you see a chance to adopt this task, so that
we can be sure that all future versions of EMF will be published to maven
as well? From what I can see, Martin is doing a great job, but what you
call a "free-for-all" doesn't sound like s.t. the Eclipse Project should
depend on.

@Martin, not sure if I asked before: do you have a HowTo somewhere on the
net that describes the steps you perform when publishing to Maven Central?

Wrt to automating these steps on foundation servers, Fred, Sravan and
myself should be able to help, if needed. Should I file a bug?

thanks,
Stephan