ROM Documentation

portal on behalf of Scott Rosenbaum
All,

I entered a bug for the ROM Documentation based on our discussions today 129666.  I did my best to reflect our discussion, but am not sure I quite hit the mark.  Please review and add commentary as appropriate.

Scott

RE: ROM Documentation

Wenfeng Li

Scott,

Suggestion on what kind of content and at what level will be helpful.

thanks

Wenfeng

I entered a bug for the ROM Documentation based on our discussions today 129666.  I did my best to reflect our discussion, but am not sure I quite hit the mark.  Please review and add commentary as appropriate.

Scott

Re: ROM Documentation

Michael Fox

Scott,

I would suggest adding a bit to the bugzilla entry regarding the PDF Specification Suite.  The purpose of these docs is to present a higher level architectural overview of BIRT, without getting bogged down in the software details. Its hard to quantify this, sort of an "I know it when I see it" kind of thing. They should describe the major components/sub systems, their functions, identify their main interfaces and objects so the user can refer to the java doc or RomDoc to find the details, describe the operational flow through the module, and its relationship with other modules. A rule of thumb might be that these docs should only need updating on major releases and not go out of date during that interval. The target audience might be system architects who are laying out a system that will incorporate BIRT, but they intentionally will not give enough detail for the engineer to write the code.

Does this make sense?

        Mike

Scott Rosenbaum <[hidden email]>
Sent by: [hidden email]

02/27/2006 04:05 PM

Please respond to
"BIRT PMC communications (including coordination, announcements,  and Group discussions)" <[hidden email]>

BIRT PMC <[hidden email]>
cc
Subject
[birt-pmc] ROM Documentation