Running tests in subpackages

Joe Kearney
Hi,

When running the continuous tester under the option to "Run all tests under
the selected package..." is it possible to get it to also run any tests in
subpackages?

To illustrate: running all tests in myproject.tests, I also want it to run
the tests in myproject.tests.subPackage1 and myproject.tests.subPackage2,
etc.

Clearly we could just set up multiple launch configurations, but then would
have to check all of them to find test failures.

My apologies if this list is not intended for this sort of enquiry, or if I
have missed previous correspondence on this issue.

Thank you,

Joe

Re: Running tests in subpackages

dsaff
Joe,

The capabilities of continuous testing's launch configurations are, in
this case, limited to those of the underlying JUnit integration, which
unfortunately doesn't support the feature you're looking for.  If memory
serves, there may be a bug already filed in the Eclipse bugzilla to
allow subpackage scopes when searching for JUnit classes--that might be
a good place to look for more information or push for change.

For this reason, and also for easy integration with other developers not
using Eclipse, I usually end up with an explicit TestSuite that
references all my other test classes by name.  This is not ideal, of
course, but turns out to be not too onerous a workaround.  Let us know
if you find something better!

    David Saff

Joe Kearney wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When running the continuous tester under the option to "Run all tests under
> the selected package..." is it possible to get it to also run any tests in
> subpackages?
>
> To illustrate: running all tests in myproject.tests, I also want it to run
> the tests in myproject.tests.subPackage1 and myproject.tests.subPackage2,
> etc.
>
> Clearly we could just set up multiple launch configurations, but then would
> have to check all of them to find test failures.
>
> My apologies if this list is not intended for this sort of enquiry, or if I
> have missed previous correspondence on this issue.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Joe

Re: Running tests in subpackages

Don Hill-2
David Saff wrote:

> Joe,
>
> The capabilities of continuous testing's launch configurations are, in
> this case, limited to those of the underlying JUnit integration, which
> unfortunately doesn't support the feature you're looking for.  If
> memory serves, there may be a bug already filed in the Eclipse
> bugzilla to allow subpackage scopes when searching for JUnit
> classes--that might be a good place to look for more information or
> push for change.
>
> For this reason, and also for easy integration with other developers
> not using Eclipse, I usually end up with an explicit TestSuite that
> references all my other test classes by name.  This is not ideal, of
> course, but turns out to be not too onerous a workaround.  Let us know
> if you find something better!
>
>    David Saff
>
> Joe Kearney wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When running the continuous tester under the option to "Run all tests
>> under
>> the selected package..." is it possible to get it to also run any
>> tests in
>> subpackages?
>>
>> To illustrate: running all tests in myproject.tests, I also want it
>> to run
>> the tests in myproject.tests.subPackage1 and
>> myproject.tests.subPackage2,
>> etc.
>>
>> Clearly we could just set up multiple launch configurations, but then
>> would
>> have to check all of them to find test failures.
>>
>> My apologies if this list is not intended for this sort of enquiry,
>> or if I
>> have missed previous correspondence on this issue.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Joe

I think what you really are looking for is a testcase that will build a
suite based on a filter, here is a test that will do just that.
http://www.koders.com/java/fid44C03943AFFE1E63A788DE482A99F2D95C61075A.aspx