SWT multi-carets/selection proposal: call for Win and Mac testers

SWT multi-carets/selection proposal: call for Win and Mac testers

Mickael Istria-5
Hi all,

I had the opportunity to work on multi-carets/selections in SWT StyledText this winter. My proposal is available at https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/154419/ and I find it's now of good enough quality to incept a merging process.
However, before going further, I'd like some Windows and Mac users to confirm it works for them.
So, can some of you please give it a try?

To try it:
* Open org.eclipse.swt and org.eclipse.swt.snippets bundles in your IDE.
* Do the usual SWT things: rename the .classpath_<os> to .classpath; if necessary import the platform-specific fragment from the eclipse.platform.swt.binaries repository
* Run Snippet376 and have fun with it

Thanks in advance

--
Mickael Istria

Re: SWT multi-carets/selection proposal: call for Win and Mac testers

Nikita Nemkin
This is really cool.

Where should I report the problems? Mailing list/Bugzilla/Gerrit?
Is there a list of known issues?
Are there any intentional differences from SublimeText/VSCode-style behavior?

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 11:38 PM Mickael Istria <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I had the opportunity to work on multi-carets/selections in SWT StyledText this winter. My proposal is available at https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/154419/ and I find it's now of good enough quality to incept a merging process.
However, before going further, I'd like some Windows and Mac users to confirm it works for them.
So, can some of you please give it a try?

To try it:
* Open org.eclipse.swt and org.eclipse.swt.snippets bundles in your IDE.
* Do the usual SWT things: rename the .classpath_<os> to .classpath; if necessary import the platform-specific fragment from the eclipse.platform.swt.binaries repository
* Run Snippet376 and have fun with it

Thanks in advance

--
Mickael Istria

Best regards,
Nikita Nemkin

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 8:54 PM Nikita Nemkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Where should I report the problems? Mailing list/Bugzilla/Gerrit?

I think Gerrit review is the best place at the moment.

Is there a list of known issues?

Not yet. I think it's also worth keeping that on the Gerrit review: if they're blocking then they need to be fixed as part of the review; if they're not blocking then we'll turn them into regular bugs when the 1st iteration is merged.

Are there any intentional differences from SublimeText/VSCode-style behavior?

Not on this layer, it should be very similar. But all the parts about enabling the extra-carets as search results and so on will be part of JFace/Editor; SWT "only" has to cover new API to deal with carets/selections, draw them and support move/edit operations as part of its usual API.

Re: SWT multi-carets/selection proposal: call for Win and Mac testers

Daniel Megert
An umbrella bug that lists all dependent bugs and Gerrit changes is appropriate. Tracking the state via a bunch of Gerrit changes is a hassle.

Dani

From:        Mickael Istria <[hidden email]>
To:        "Eclipse platform general developers list." <[hidden email]>
Date:        23.01.2020 21:08
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: [platform-dev] SWT multi-carets/selection proposal: call for Win and Mac testers
Sent by:        [hidden email]

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 8:54 PM Nikita Nemkin <nikita@...> wrote:
Where should I report the problems? Mailing list/Bugzilla/Gerrit?

I think Gerrit review is the best place at the moment.

Is there a list of known issues?

Not yet. I think it's also worth keeping that on the Gerrit review: if they're blocking then they need to be fixed as part of the review; if they're not blocking then we'll turn them into regular bugs when the 1st iteration is merged.

Are there any intentional differences from SublimeText/VSCode-style behavior?

Not on this layer, it should be very similar. But all the parts about enabling the extra-carets as search results and so on will be part of JFace/Editor; SWT "only" has to cover new API to deal with carets/selections, draw them and support move/edit operations as part of its usual API._______________________________________________
platform-dev mailing list
https://www.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/platform-dev

Re: SWT multi-carets/selection proposal: call for Win and Mac testers

Becker, Matthias

Hi Mickael,

maybe a silly question but how do I run that snippet? It does not have a main method.

Regards,

Matthias

Re: [CAUTION] Re: SWT multi-carets/selection proposal: call for Win and Mac testers

Becker, Matthias

Arg. For get my question. It *has* a main method.

But I have another question: How do I set multiple carets? On right-click I get a context menu but not an additional caret.

Regards,

Matthias