Supporting decompilers in debugging mode

Supporting decompilers in debugging mode

Gayan Perera
Hi All,

I tried https://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/enhanced-class-decompiler with eclipse 4.14 and 4.15 seems like i cannot step into classes which i don't have source code. Instead of opening the decompiled class it simply show the "no source found" editor page. Can some one guide me how to add the decompiler editor in the debugging so that i can step into decompiled source code by the above decompiler. I'm planning to provide a PR for that decompiler to fix this issue.

Gayan.

Re: Supporting decompilers in debugging mode

Sarika Sinha

Hi,
Can you try disabling "Use advanced source lookup" from Preferences->Java->Debug to see if it helps.

Thanks & Regards,
Sarika
I tried https://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/enhanced-class-decompiler with eclipse 4.14 and 4.15 seems like i cannot step into classes which i don't have source code. Instead of opening the decompiled class it simply show the "no source found" editor page. Can some one guide me how to add the decompiler editor in the debugging so that i can step into decompiled source code by the above decompiler. I'm planning to provide a PR for that decompiler to fix this issue.

Gayan.

Re: Supporting decompilers in debugging mode

Gayan Perera

Hi,

No it didn’t help disabling advance source lookup. One year back may be in 2018 releases the decompiler worked for debugging. Those days if there is no decompiler we use to get the ClassFileEditor. But now it shows a different editor with a button and label

Gayan

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 at 08:33, Sarika Sinha <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,
Can you try disabling "Use advanced source lookup" from Preferences->Java->Debug to see if it helps.

Thanks & Regards,
Sarika
I tried https://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/enhanced-class-decompiler with eclipse 4.14 and 4.15 seems like i cannot step into classes which i don't have source code. Instead of opening the decompiled class it simply show the "no source found" editor page. Can some one guide me how to add the decompiler editor in the debugging so that i can step into decompiled source code by the above decompiler. I'm planning to provide a PR for that decompiler to fix this issue.

Gayan.

Re: Supporting decompilers in debugging mode

Sarika Sinha
In that case, please create a bug with reproducible steps.
Thanks & Regards,
Sarika

I tried https://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/enhanced-class-decompiler with eclipse 4.14 and 4.15 seems like i cannot step into classes which i don't have source code. Instead of opening the decompiled class it simply show the "no source found" editor page. Can some one guide me how to add the decompiler editor in the debugging so that i can step into decompiled source code by the above decompiler. I'm planning to provide a PR for that decompiler to fix this issue.

Gayan.

Re: Supporting decompilers in debugging mode

Daniel Megert
Hi Gayan

>  In that case, please create a bug with reproducible steps.

No, you should not do that, but instead report the problem to the provider of the "Enhanced Class Decompiler ",

If you have your decompiler as an external program you can go to the 'File Associations' preference page and register your external program with the '.class without source' file type.

Dani

From:        "Sarika Sinha" <[hidden email]>
To:        [hidden email]
Date:        24.01.2020 11:12
Sent by:        [hidden email]

In that case, please create a bug with reproducible steps.
Thanks & Regards,
Sarika

I tried https://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/enhanced-class-decompilerwith eclipse 4.14 and 4.15 seems like i cannot step into classes which i don't have source code. Instead of opening the decompiled class it simply show the "no source found" editor page. Can some one guide me how to add the decompiler editor in the debugging so that i can step into decompiled source code by the above decompiler. I'm planning to provide a PR for that decompiler to fix this issue.

Gayan.

Re: Supporting decompilers in debugging mode

Gayan Perera
Hi Dani,

I think the problem is with the Eclipse Source Lookup. The eclipse source lookup mechanism doesn't even try to open the class file when it cannot find source code. When trying to open the type which doesn't have source code with OpneType then the decompiler works, But when debugging the decompiler is not opened because of the above reason.

Gayan.

Hi Gayan

From:        "Sarika Sinha" <[hidden email]>
To:        [hidden email]
Date:        24.01.2020 11:12
Sent by:        [hidden email]

In that case, please create a bug with reproducible steps.
Thanks & Regards,
Sarika

I tried https://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/enhanced-class-decompilerwith eclipse 4.14 and 4.15 seems like i cannot step into classes which i don't have source code. Instead of opening the decompiled class it simply show the "no source found" editor page. Can some one guide me how to add the decompiler editor in the debugging so that i can step into decompiled source code by the above decompiler. I'm planning to provide a PR for that decompiler to fix this issue.

Gayan.

Re: Supporting decompilers in debugging mode

Daniel Megert
Sorry for the late response.

In that case, please open a bug report against JDT Debug with steps to reproduce it and post it here.

Dani

From:        Gayan Perera <[hidden email]>
To:        "Eclipse JDT general developers list." <[hidden email]>
Date:        24.01.2020 20:26
Sent by:        [hidden email]

Hi Dani,

I think the problem is with the Eclipse Source Lookup. The eclipse source lookup mechanism doesn't even try to open the class file when it cannot find source code. When trying to open the type which doesn't have source code with OpneType then the decompiler works, But when debugging the decompiler is not opened because of the above reason.

Gayan.

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 3:01 PM Daniel Megert <daniel_megert@...> wrote:
Hi Gayan

In that case, please create a bug with reproducible steps.

No, you should not do that, but instead report the problem to the provider of the "Enhanced Class Decompiler ",

If you have your decompiler as an external program you can go to the 'File Associations' preference page and register your external program with the '.class without source' file type.

Dani

From:
"Sarika Sinha" <sarika.sinha@...>
To:
[hidden email]
Date:
24.01.2020 11:12
Subject:
[EXTERNAL] Re: [jdt-dev] Supporting decompilers in debugging mode
Sent by:
[hidden email]

https://www.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/jdt-dev

From:        Gayan Perera <[hidden email]>
[...]