Suppressing Eclipse Java Proposals

Pr. Olivier Gruber

Hi,

I am teaching Java programming directly within Eclipse and my students get confused by the Eclipse proposals to fix compiling errors.

Although the functionality is great, the net result is that students blindly follow the proposals and end up with messed-up code.

So my question is this.

     How do I can suppress the code proposals in Eclipse?

     Completion is fine, but I want just absolutely no proposal to fix compilation errors.

     Furthermore, I want absolutely no template proposals when writing code.

I did not find any way in the preferences, aside disabling the delay-based completion.

If this can be done through preferences, or environment variables, that is just great,

but I know my students will turn it back on...

So I would like to go in the code, build my own version of Eclipse, and disable the functionality entirely.

Can any one point me in the right direction in the source to short-circuit the proposals and templates.

Many thanks in advance.

Pr. Olivier Gruber.
University of Grenoble-Alpes

Re: Suppressing Eclipse Java Proposals

Alena Laskavaia
You probably need to write to JDT list not PDE but if you want no java
functionality why don't just use default Text editor? It has no
auto-completion, no proposals no auto-errors detection.

On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 10:56 AM, Pr. Olivier Gruber
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am teaching Java programming directly within Eclipse and my students get
> confused by the Eclipse proposals to fix compiling errors.
>
> Although the functionality is great, the net result is that students blindly
> follow the proposals and end up with messed-up code.
>
> So my question is this.
>

>      How do I can suppress the code proposals in Eclipse?
>
>      Completion is fine, but I want just absolutely no proposal to fix
> compilation errors.
>
>      Furthermore, I want absolutely no template proposals when writing code.
>

> I did not find any way in the preferences, aside disabling the delay-based
> completion.
>
> If this can be done through preferences, or environment variables, that is
> just great,
>
> but I know my students will turn it back on...
>

> So I would like to go in the code, build my own version of Eclipse, and
> disable the functionality entirely.
>
> Can any one point me in the right direction in the source to short-circuit
> the proposals and templates.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Pr. Olivier Gruber.
> University of Grenoble-Alpes

Re: Suppressing Eclipse Java Proposals

Pr. Olivier Gruber
Hi,

You may be right, the question may belong more to the JDT mailing list,

I was not sure if the Java Text Editor was more PDE or JDT.

As for using a text editor, I understand your point,

but my students would loose all Java-related features

such as syntax highlighting, navigation on Java elements,

refactoring, etc.

I want them to learn how to use Eclipse, but in the beginning,

Eclipse is distracting them from learning the basics of the Java language.

Ironic, isn't it?

Thanks anyway.