TM Terminal and CDT plans

Jeff Johnston
A while back it was proposed that CDT bring TM Terminal to the CDT.  Doug, is there any progress on this or time-line scheduled?

Linux Tools Docker tooling requires TM Terminal and as of Monday, Eclipse Target Management is being dropped from Photon aggregation.

-- Jeff J.

Re: TM Terminal and CDT plans

Doug Schaefer-3

I’ve been busy on other things this month so no progress yet. It would be good to get this done.

For now, I can sneak it in with the CDT submission to simrel since that’s where it will go anyway. I’ll do that before it disappears.

Doug.

A while back it was proposed that CDT bring TM Terminal to the CDT.  Doug, is there any progress on this or time-line scheduled?

Linux Tools Docker tooling requires TM Terminal and as of Monday, Eclipse Target Management is being dropped from Photon aggregation.

-- Jeff J.

A while back it was proposed that CDT bring TM Terminal to the CDT.  Doug, is there any progress on this or time-line scheduled?

Linux Tools Docker tooling requires TM Terminal and as of Monday, Eclipse Target Management is being dropped from Photon aggregation.

-- Jeff J.

Re: TM Terminal and CDT plans

Martin Oberhuber
Thanks Doug.

For Photon, could you please use
as per this contribution recently merged for Terminal 4.4:

Thanks!
Martin

On 25 Jan 2018, at 18:52, Jeff Johnston <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks Doug.

-- Jeff J.

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 11:29 AM, Doug Schaefer <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’ve been busy on other things this month so no progress yet. It would be good to get this done.

For now, I can sneak it in with the CDT submission to simrel since that’s where it will go anyway. I’ll do that before it disappears.

Doug.

A while back it was proposed that CDT bring TM Terminal to the CDT.  Doug, is there any progress on this or time-line scheduled?

Linux Tools Docker tooling requires TM Terminal and as of Monday, Eclipse Target Management is being dropped from Photon aggregation.

-- Jeff J.

Re: TM Terminal and CDT plans

Doug Schaefer-3

Will do. Thanks Martin!

A while back it was proposed that CDT bring TM Terminal to the CDT.  Doug, is there any progress on this or time-line scheduled?

Linux Tools Docker tooling requires TM Terminal and as of Monday, Eclipse Target Management is being dropped from Photon aggregation.

-- Jeff J.

Re: TM Terminal and CDT plans

Jeff Johnston
Hi Doug,

Should this already be in the milestone build?  I can't find TM Terminal in the master/nightly build.  If I am pointing to the wrong build, could you let me know
so I can update our target file?  According to a previous note, TM was going to be removed from the aggregation this previous Monday.

Thanks,

-- Jeff J.

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 11:29 AM, Doug Schaefer <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’ve been busy on other things this month so no progress yet. It would be good to get this done.

For now, I can sneak it in with the CDT submission to simrel since that’s where it will go anyway. I’ll do that before it disappears.

Doug.

A while back it was proposed that CDT bring TM Terminal to the CDT.  Doug, is there any progress on this or time-line scheduled?

Linux Tools Docker tooling requires TM Terminal and as of Monday, Eclipse Target Management is being dropped from Photon aggregation.

-- Jeff J.

Re: TM Terminal and CDT plans

Doug Schaefer-3

I’m working on this now. I think Fred removed TM. I’ll add it in now.

A while back it was proposed that CDT bring TM Terminal to the CDT.  Doug, is there any progress on this or time-line scheduled?

Linux Tools Docker tooling requires TM Terminal and as of Monday, Eclipse Target Management is being dropped from Photon aggregation.

-- Jeff J.

A while back it was proposed that CDT bring TM Terminal to the CDT.  Doug, is there any progress on this or time-line scheduled?

Linux Tools Docker tooling requires TM Terminal and as of Monday, Eclipse Target Management is being dropped from Photon aggregation.

-- Jeff J.

Re: TM Terminal and CDT plans

Doug Schaefer-3

I’ve checked in the change. I’ve hooked the Terminal features up to the General Tools categories but not the others. If I’m missing any, let me know and I’ll make the adjustments, or if you have commit writes to simrel, feel free to make whatever tweaks you need.

Doug.

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 1:57 PM, Doug Schaefer <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’m working on this now. I think Fred removed TM. I’ll add it in now.

A while back it was proposed that CDT bring TM Terminal to the CDT.  Doug, is there any progress on this or time-line scheduled?

Linux Tools Docker tooling requires TM Terminal and as of Monday, Eclipse Target Management is being dropped from Photon aggregation.

-- Jeff J.

Re: TM Terminal and CDT plans

Hello CDT and TM folks,

I have been asked to revive this merge. I believe it makes sense to bring the tm.terminal code into the CDT repo for release engineering purposes in the same way we just merged the launchbar and tools.templates into CDT.

The current TM repo does not build (out of date target platform).

My biggest concern about doing this is the comment in the TM readme:
== Circular Dependencies

In theory, the RSE and Terminal are independent projects.

In practice, they each depend on each other, which is why we've now merged the RSE (org.eclipse.tm) and Terminal (org.eclipse.tm.terminal) repos into a single gerrit repo to resolve this cycle and make building easier.

We already have circular dependencies that we have learned to live with, but I don't really want to add RSE as a new dependency of CDT.

Before I go further down this path I want to solicit input. Does anyone know why this stalled last time? Should we just fix the TM builds as they are (gerrit)?

Kichwa Coders
www.kichwacoders.com

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 at 11:26, Jeff Johnston <[hidden email]> wrote:
A while back it was proposed that CDT bring TM Terminal to the CDT.  Doug, is there any progress on this or time-line scheduled?

Linux Tools Docker tooling requires TM Terminal and as of Monday, Eclipse Target Management is being dropped from Photon aggregation.

-- Jeff J.

Re: [tm-dev] TM Terminal and CDT plans

Jonah Graham
Thanks Nick for merging the fix and returning the build to green.

Hello TM and CDT folk,

Based on discussions up to this point I think the plan should be:

- Move active parts of terminal code to CDT's git repo - this is everything in org.eclipse.tm.terminal namespace, except org.eclipse.tm.terminal.view.ui.rse[0] and org.eclipse.tm.terminal.connector.serial[1]
- The namespace will be preserved - i.e. no renaming of plug-ins/features
- The terminal will still be installable without any new dependencies on CDT
- The terminal will be distributed and released with CDT's releases in CDT's p2 repos (under https://download.eclipse.org/tools/cdt/)
- The terminal will continue to be contributed to simrel (just in cdt.aggrcon instead of tm.aggrcon)
- The git history of terminal will be preserved/moved to CDT
- The remaining RSE project will then be archived according to the Eclipse Project Handbook process [2] and removed from SimRel.
- All of this done in time for CDT 9.11.0 M2 / SimRel 2020-03 M2 release (aka by 3 Feb 2020)

Can I get some +1s then I can proceed with bugs and process stuff?

[0] Because of archiving RSE. This bundle/feature is not in the simrel today and it is the only bundle causing the circular dep with the rest of RSE.
[1] Because this implementation of serial is already not included in recent releases due to GPL code, See Bug 536800
[2] What happens to RSE (what will be left of Eclipse Target Management project) is somewhat independent of the rest of the list.

Thanks

Kichwa Coders
www.kichwacoders.com

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 at 13:22, Nick Boldt <[hidden email]> wrote:
TM and RSE re back to green.

Latest bits:

Gerrit to update to 4.5.103 from .102:

Thanks for contributing the fix to get TM/RSE back to green!

If there are any other stalled gerrits, don't hesitate to reach out to me directly on mattermost or email.

Nick

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 12:59 PM Jonah Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Nick Boldt

Principal Software Engineer, RHCSA

Productization Lead :: CodeReady Workspaces

IM: @nickboldt / @nboldt / http://nick.divbyzero.com

“The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change” - Heraclitus

Re: [tm-dev] TM Terminal and CDT plans

Aleksandar Kurtakov

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 6:51 PM Jonah Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

+1000 from me Jonah.
Thanks for stepping up to finally bring some sanity in the area.

[...]

Alexander Kurtakov
Red Hat Eclipse Team

Re: [tm-dev] TM Terminal and CDT plans

Thanks Nick for the offer - I will refer to your scrips as needed. I have also done recent merges for various CDT repos which is what kicked off this discussion again.

I have raised Bug 559474 and sent notice to tools-pmc and emo about this for their approvals and to address any process issues.

Kichwa Coders
www.kichwacoders.com

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 at 20:12, Nick Boldt <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1. If you need assistance with the "move a project to another repo and preserve history" technique, I've done that a few times (for the various DTP, TM, WTP projects we moved/merged a couple years ago). If it's useful, here are some gist scripts:

Before you can complete the copy/merge into the destination repo, you need to get these steps done:

1. disable IP check (web master)
2. forge author (should be already on by default)
3. grant forge committer (web master)
4. grant forge server (web master)

And according to Wayne back in 2018, "Merging repositories that both belong to the same project does not require PMC or EMO approval. Have at it."

Since CDT and TM are different projects, I suspect we need formal PMC and EMO approval.

HTH

Nick

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 11:51 AM Jonah Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Nick Boldt-3
Note that in parallel with this discussion, we've realized that the RSE stuff might have to go on for a while longer as JBoss Tools still depends on it for its server adapter stuff. I'm told that org.eclipse.remote isn't feature-rich enough to use instead... but this is likely based on the state of things from 2018 when last I tried to convince people to dump RSE (dead project) and move to o.e.remote (active project). Not trying to impugn your work, just passing on what I've been told.

What would you say to the idea of moving some/all of RSE into CDT just to keep it alive? You might not have to do anything to detangle the circular deps at that point, if it comes along for the ride. :)

Nick

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 11:16 PM Nick Boldt <[hidden email]> wrote:
Note that in parallel with this discussion, we've realized that the RSE stuff might have to go on for a while longer as JBoss Tools still depends on it for its server adapter stuff. I'm told that org.eclipse.remote isn't feature-rich enough to use instead... but this is likely based on the state of things from 2018 when last I tried to convince people to dump RSE (dead project) and move to o.e.remote (active project). Not trying to impugn your work, just passing on what I've been told.

What would you say to the idea of moving some/all of RSE into CDT just to keep it alive? You might not have to do anything to detangle the circular deps at that point, if it comes along for the ride. :)

CDT has enough luggage it carries already and we are looking at ways to reduce it. Getting RSE there is a step in the wrong direction so I'm totally against it. Whoever cares for RSE should do the releng part for it.

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 11:22 PM Aleksandar Kurtakov <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Also would you please request and share the bugs against org.eclipse.remote for the missing features? Without them any other talk is pointless as it's not clear what we speak about.

--
Alexander Kurtakov
Red Hat Eclipse Team

Re: [tm-dev] TM Terminal and CDT plans

Nick Boldt-3
Fair enough, just wanted to gauge the water temp. ;) I see it's pretty chilly.

So then... if we move TM plugins & features into CDT, we need to make sure the cyclic dependency issue is broken in BOTH repos, CDT and Target Management, as we won't be able to immediately archive the remaining RSE bits.

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 4:23 PM Aleksandar Kurtakov <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

The only circular dependency is the Terminal's RSE view plug-in. That plug-in is what is listed in earlier conversation as not moving to CDT.

I will experiment on the releng side to see how best to split up the existing repo so that the RSE stuff still builds but no longer includes the (majority) parts of terminal moving to CDT.

Thanks

Kichwa Coders
www.kichwacoders.com