TM Terminal in CDT

Oberhuber, Martin

Thanks Doug, [cross-posted to tm-dev],

To further strengthen the Terminal, I would be interested moving the Terminal from the TM project into the CDT project. I think it’s a logical move since Terminal builds on the PTY support in cdt.native as well as the new Serial support. I also suppose many/most users of Terminal are also using the CDT.

TM and CDT committers, what do you think about this idea, should we work towards a move review for Terminal soon after Oxygen?

Cheers,

Martin

--

Martin Oberhuber, SMTS / Product Owner – Development Tools, Wind River

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Doug Schaefer <[hidden email]>
Date: Monday 15 May 2017 at 20:38
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] 9.3 Oxygen M7 today

Hey gang, one notable change is coming for the C/C++ IDE package. I am adding the Terminal to it. I’ve been using it a lot for serial connections and am updating the upstream serial to use CDT’s Native one (the RXTX one will still be there if you need). I’ll be leveraging that for Arduino. The Local terminal is also very handy, especially with the Show in Local Terminal menu on Folders in the Project Explorer.

In the end, this means I’m giving up on my strategy of using the Console View for terminals. It never really ended up being a good user experience. We can work on the TM Terminal going forward as we need.

Doug.

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Doug Schaefer <[hidden email]>
Date: Monday, May 15, 2017 at 10:27 AM
To: "CDT General developers list." <[hidden email]>
Subject: [cdt-dev] 9.3 Oxygen M7 today

Hey gang,

Thanks for all your great work getting ready. I’ll spend the day cleaning up any loose ends on my part and will take the M7 snapshot before I go to bed.

Cheers,

Doug.

Re: TM Terminal in CDT

Doug Schaefer-3
To add to this, as Wayne Beaton just tweeted:

   "I'm thinking that it might be time to merge some of our stable tools projects.

We won’t make any moves until we have a better view of the big picture.

To update everyone, there are multiple projects right now that have fallen below the three committer threshold I believe is necessary to continue business. I have been trying to gather a list, at least the ones I care about. The Terminal repo for example only has one active committer, Martin. There’s not even enough for a proper three vote committer election. But there are a lot of important projects in this state.

So would love to hear from everyone their opinions to help us decide what the right direction is. Should we start merging these things into a bigger project that can sustain them. I had suggested adding some of them to CDT which has 4-5 active committers right now. But there are probably better options.

Doug.

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Doug Schaefer <[hidden email]>
Date: Monday 15 May 2017 at 20:38
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>