Why are JUnit tests listed separately in the recently launched list?

Why are JUnit tests listed separately in the recently launched list?

Lars Vogel-2
Friends of the Eclipse platform,

does anyone know why we list the unit tests separately in the recently
launched list? See screenshot

Other launch configurations are shown in the order of last execution,
only unit tests are handled differently. I think we should handle all
recent launches similar, but maybe there is a reason for this display.

Best regards, Lars

CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web: http://www.vogella.com

recentlylaunched.png (167K) Download Attachment

Re: [platform-ui-dev] Why are JUnit tests listed separately in the recently launched list?

Daniel Megert
The ones in the top category are launches that are shared, i.e. stored in the repository. Not related to the recent ones. And because they are already at the top, they are not included in the LRU list.

Dani

From:        Lars Vogel <[hidden email]>
To:        "Eclipse Platform UI component developers list." <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
Date:        06.04.2016 18:35
Subject:        [platform-ui-dev] Why are JUnit tests listed separately in the        recently launched list?
Sent by:        [hidden email]

Friends of the Eclipse platform,

does anyone know why we list the unit tests separately in the recently
launched list? See screenshot

Other launch configurations are shown in the order of last execution,
only unit tests are handled differently. I think we should handle all
recent launches similar, but maybe there is a reason for this display.

Best regards, Lars

CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web:
http://www.vogella.com
[attachment "recentlylaunched.png" deleted by Daniel Megert/Zurich/IBM] _______________________________________________
platform-ui-dev mailing list

Re: [platform-ui-dev] Why are JUnit tests listed separately in the recently launched list?

Lars Vogel-2
Thanks Dani, for the clarification how this works.

As an IDE user I don't see the value in this separation. Is there
value for someone on this list by having this separation? If yes, can
you please explain why you see this as valuable?

Best regards, Lars

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 6:54 PM, Daniel Megert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The ones in the top category are launches that are shared, i.e. stored in
> the repository. Not related to the recent ones. And because they are already
> at the top, they are not included in the LRU list.
>
> Dani
>

> From:        Lars Vogel <[hidden email]>
> To:        "Eclipse Platform UI component developers list."
> <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
> Date:        06.04.2016 18:35
> Subject:        [platform-ui-dev] Why are JUnit tests listed separately in
> the        recently launched list?
> Sent by:        [hidden email]
> ________________________________
>

> Friends of the Eclipse platform,
>
> does anyone know why we list the unit tests separately in the recently
> launched list? See screenshot
>
> Other launch configurations are shown in the order of last execution,
> only unit tests are handled differently. I think we should handle all
> recent launches similar, but maybe there is a reason for this display.
>
> Best regards, Lars
>
> --
> Eclipse Platform UI and e4 project co-lead
> CEO vogella GmbH
>
> Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
> Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
> Geschäftsführer: Lars Vogel, Jennifer Nerlich de Vogel
> USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
> Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web:
> http://www.vogella.com
>
> [attachment "recentlylaunched.png" deleted by Daniel Megert/Zurich/IBM]

CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web: http://www.vogella.com

Re: [platform-ui-dev] Why are JUnit tests listed separately in the recently launched list?

Daniel Megert
Oops! The reason behind it is actually another feature that our shared launch configurations use: The top category contains the favorite launch configurations. This can be configured on the 'Common' tab. So, if you don't want the UI tests to appear there, simply remove them from the favorites menu.

Dani

From:        Lars Vogel <[hidden email]>
To:        "Eclipse Platform Debug component developers list." <[hidden email]>
Cc:        "Eclipse Platform UI component developers list." <[hidden email]>
Date:        06.04.2016 18:57
Sent by:        [hidden email]

Thanks Dani, for the clarification how this works.

As an IDE user I don't see the value in this separation. Is there
value for someone on this list by having this separation? If yes, can
you please explain why you see this as valuable?

Best regards, Lars

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 6:54 PM, Daniel Megert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The ones in the top category are launches that are shared, i.e. stored in
> the repository. Not related to the recent ones. And because they are already
> at the top, they are not included in the LRU list.
>
> Dani
>

> From:        Lars Vogel <[hidden email]>
> To:        "Eclipse Platform UI component developers list."
> <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
> Date:        06.04.2016 18:35
> Subject:        [platform-ui-dev] Why are JUnit tests listed separately in
> the        recently launched list?
> Sent by:        [hidden email]
> ________________________________
>

> Friends of the Eclipse platform,
>
> does anyone know why we list the unit tests separately in the recently
> launched list? See screenshot
>
> Other launch configurations are shown in the order of last execution,
> only unit tests are handled differently. I think we should handle all
> recent launches similar, but maybe there is a reason for this display.
>
> Best regards, Lars
>
> --
> Eclipse Platform UI and e4 project co-lead
> CEO vogella GmbH
>
> Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
> Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
> Geschäftsführer: Lars Vogel, Jennifer Nerlich de Vogel
> USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
> Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web:

http://www.vogella.com

> [attachment "recentlylaunched.png" deleted by Daniel Megert/Zurich/IBM]

CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web:
http://www.vogella.com

Re: [platform-ui-dev] Why are JUnit tests listed separately in the recently launched list?

> You can organize those in the run dropdown > organize favorites.

Yes, but that give outgoing changes for those that are shared. Hence, if Platform UI does not want those to appear, then it should change it in the shared launch configurations.

Dani

From:        Fabio Zadrozny <[hidden email]>
To:        "Eclipse Platform UI component developers list." <[hidden email]>
Cc:        [hidden email]
Date:        06.04.2016 19:03
Sent by:        [hidden email]

Hi Lars,

It isn't exactly unit-tests which are handled different, but tests which have a "Display in favorites menu" setting set (in the "common" tab of the launch configuration).

I also find that annoying, especially when there's a project I imported which has some launch configuration saved with such a setting and added it to git (all of the sudden, the Run menu becomes cluttered with things I don't care)...

You can organize those in the run dropdown > organize favorites.

Best Regards,

Fabio

lars.vogel@..., Web: http://www.vogella.com

Re: [platform-ui-dev] Why are JUnit tests listed separately in the recently launched list?

Lars Vogel-2
> Yes... so, if some project did such a thing, be careful not to push those changes ;)

I think have prepared launch configurations is of great value. This
way people can easily start test suites or products. But adding
something automatically to the favorites only because I saved it
somewhere is not "logical" to me.

@Andrey, are you saying you are using shared launch configurations? I
agree these are very valuable.

Or are you saying the automatic entry in the favorite menu based on
these shared launch configurations is valuable to your use case?

Best regards, Lars

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 7:27 PM, Fabio Zadrozny <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> CEO vogella GmbH
>>
>> Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
>> Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
>> Geschäftsführer: Lars Vogel, Jennifer Nerlich de Vogel
>> USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
>> Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web:
>> http://www.vogella.com

CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web: http://www.vogella.com

Re: [platform-ui-dev] Why are JUnit tests listed separately in the recently launched list?

Daniel Megert
>  We use shared configs so that they can be distributed with source code of the projects and we use favourites so that the predefined configs can be easily found by  > developers who have no idea about launch configs at all.

I agree that this is a good pattern, but only very important launch configurations should be put into the favorite lists.

Dani

From:        Andrey Loskutov <[hidden email]>
To:        "Eclipse Platform UI component developers list." <[hidden email]>, Lars Vogel <[hidden email]>
Cc:        "Eclipse Platform Debug component developers list." <[hidden email]>
Date:        06.04.2016 19:42
Sent by:        [hidden email]

Am 6. April 2016 19:36:25 MESZ, schrieb Lars Vogel <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>all
>>> recent launches similar, but maybe there is a reason for this
>display.
>>>
>>> Best regards, Lars
>>>
>>> --
>>> Eclipse Platform UI and e4 project co-lead
>>> CEO vogella GmbH
>>>
>>> Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
>>> Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
>>> Geschäftsführer: Lars Vogel, Jennifer Nerlich de Vogel
>>> USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
>>> Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web:

http://www.vogella.com

>--
>Eclipse Platform UI and e4 project co-lead
>CEO vogella GmbH
>
>Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
>Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
>Geschäftsführer: Lars Vogel, Jennifer Nerlich de Vogel
>USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
>Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web:

Kind regards,
Andrey Loskutov

http://google.com/+AndreyLoskutov

Re: [platform-ui-dev] Why are JUnit tests listed separately in the recently launched list?

Lars Vogel-2
Thanks for Andrey, pointing me to the correct setting in the launch
configuration. For some reason I was unable to find this, I guess I
searched for a single flag and not a list or table. Screenshot
attached if you face a similar issue.

I will remove this flag for our platform UI launch configuration.

Great features for my customers, now that I know of it. ;-)

Thanks again to all for the clarification.

Best regards, Lars

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 7:09 PM, Daniel Megert <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> You can organize those in the run dropdown > organize favorites.
>
> Yes, but that give outgoing changes for those that are shared. Hence, if
> Platform UI does not want those to appear, then it should change it in the
> shared launch configurations.
>
> Dani
>

> From:        Fabio Zadrozny <[hidden email]>
> To:        "Eclipse Platform UI component developers list."
> <[hidden email]>
> Cc:        [hidden email]
> Date:        06.04.2016 19:03
> Subject:        Re: [platform-ui-dev] Why are JUnit tests listed separately
> in the recently launched list?
> Sent by:        [hidden email]
> ________________________________
>

> Hi Lars,
>
> It isn't exactly unit-tests which are handled different, but tests which
> have a "Display in favorites menu" setting set (in the "common" tab of the
> launch configuration).
>
> I also find that annoying, especially when there's a project I imported
> which has some launch configuration saved with such a setting and added it
> to git (all of the sudden, the Run menu becomes cluttered with things I
> don't care)...
>
> You can organize those in the run dropdown > organize favorites.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Fabio
>
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 1:34 PM, Lars Vogel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Friends of the Eclipse platform,
>
> does anyone know why we list the unit tests separately in the recently
> launched list? See screenshot
>
> Other launch configurations are shown in the order of last execution,
> only unit tests are handled differently. I think we should handle all
> recent launches similar, but maybe there is a reason for this display.
>
> Best regards, Lars
>
> --
> Eclipse Platform UI and e4 project co-lead
> CEO vogella GmbH
>
> Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
> Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
> Geschäftsführer: Lars Vogel, Jennifer Nerlich de Vogel
> USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
> Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web:
> http://www.vogella.com

CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web: http://www.vogella.com

favorities.png (82K) Download Attachment