backporting and building?

Homer, Tony

I have an RCP product that is currently building against 4.15 and due to release timing I cannot update to 4.16 until after the current release cycle.

I’d like to backport this fix to 4.15:

https://git.eclipse.org/c/platform/eclipse.platform.git/commit/?id=4a27c8ad20b921af8df9731037aa756d70d6875f

Applying the patch is no problem, but I’ve never built platform before.

I’m not sure if I need to check out all the repos or can just checkout one of them.

I’m not sure what build command to use.

I looked for instructions, but there are none listed on the developer resources page:

https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/eclipse.platform/developer

I also looked at ci and it helped with the build command, but I couldn’t work out what I need to do to setup my environment:

https://ci.eclipse.org/linuxtools/job/linuxtools-master/142/console

Is there a doc that explains which repos to checkout and what build command to use?

Thanks!

Tony Homer

Re: backporting and building?

Daniel Megert
Hi Tony

That commit only changes the Ant version in a test class. Is this really what you want to backport?

Dani

From:        "Homer, Tony" <[hidden email]>
To:        "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date:        06.06.2020 22:51
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] [platform-dev] backporting and building?
Sent by:        [hidden email]

[...]

platform-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this list, visit
https://www.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/platform-dev

Re: backporting and building?

Homer, Tony

Hi Dani-

Thanks for responding.

Yes, updating to Ant 1.10.8 mitigates https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2020-1945, which is what I need to do.

Tony Homer

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Daniel Megert <[hidden email]>
Date: Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 1:23 AM
To: "Eclipse platform general developers list." <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [platform-dev] backporting and building?

From:        "Homer, Tony" <[hidden email]>
To:        "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date:        06.06.2020 22:51
Sent by:        [hidden email]

[...]

Lars Vogel-2
Hi Tony,

individual repos can be built with the following command. See for
example https://www.vogella.com/tutorials/EclipsePlatformDevelopment/article.html#eclipse-platform-hudson-builds

mvn -Pbuild-individual-bundles clean verify

Best regards, Lars

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 4:45 PM Homer, Tony <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dani-
>

> Thanks for responding.
>
> Yes, updating to Ant 1.10.8 mitigates https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2020-1945, which is what I need to do.
>

> Tony Homer
>

> From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Daniel Megert <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 1:23 AM
> To: "Eclipse platform general developers list." <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [platform-dev] backporting and building?
>

> Hi Tony
>
> That commit only changes the Ant version in a test class. Is this really what you want to backport?
>
> Dani
>

> From:        "Homer, Tony" <[hidden email]>
> To:        "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> Date:        06.06.2020 22:51
> Subject:        [EXTERNAL] [platform-dev] backporting and building?
> Sent by:        [hidden email]
>
> ________________________________
>

> I have an RCP product that is currently building against 4.15 and due to release timing I cannot update to 4.16 until after the current release cycle.
>

> I’d like to backport this fix to 4.15:
>
> https://git.eclipse.org/c/platform/eclipse.platform.git/commit/?id=4a27c8ad20b921af8df9731037aa756d70d6875f
>

> Applying the patch is no problem, but I’ve never built platform before.
>
> I’m not sure if I need to check out all the repos or can just checkout one of them.
>
> I’m not sure what build command to use.
>

> I looked for instructions, but there are none listed on the developer resources page:
>
> https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/eclipse.platform/developer
>

> I also looked at ci and it helped with the build command, but I couldn’t work out what I need to do to setup my environment:
>
> https://ci.eclipse.org/linuxtools/job/linuxtools-master/142/console
>

> Is there a doc that explains which repos to checkout and what build command to use?
>

> Thanks!
>
> Tony Homer_______________________________________________
> platform-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from this list, visit https://www.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/platform-dev

Eclipse Platform project co-lead
CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web: http://www.vogella.com

Re: backporting and building?

OK, so you know that you also have to update Ant in your build?

Dani

From:        "Homer, Tony" <[hidden email]>
To:        Eclipse platform general developers list. <[hidden email]>
Date:        07.06.2020 16:45
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: [platform-dev] backporting and building?
Sent by:        [hidden email]

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Daniel Megert <[hidden email]>
Date:
Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 1:23 AM
To:
"Eclipse platform general developers list." <[hidden email]>
Re: [platform-dev] backporting and building?

Hi Tony

That commit only changes the Ant version in a test class. Is this really what you want to backport?

Dani

From:
"Homer, Tony" <[hidden email]>
To:
"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date:
06.06.2020 22:51
Subject:
[EXTERNAL] [platform-dev] backporting and building?
Sent by:
[hidden email]

I have an RCP product that is currently building against 4.15 and due to release timing I cannot update to 4.16 until after the current release cycle.

I’d like to backport this fix to 4.15:

https://git.eclipse.org/c/platform/eclipse.platform.git/commit/?id=4a27c8ad20b921af8df9731037aa756d70d6875f

Applying the patch is no problem, but I’ve never built platform before.

I’m not sure if I need to check out all the repos or can just checkout one of them.

I’m not sure what build command to use.

I looked for instructions, but there are none listed on the developer resources page:

https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/eclipse.platform/developer

I also looked at ci and it helped with the build command, but I couldn’t work out what I need to do to setup my environment:

https://ci.eclipse.org/linuxtools/job/linuxtools-master/142/console

Is there a doc that explains which repos to checkout and what build command to use?

Thanks!

Tony Homer_______________________________________________
platform-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this list, visit
https://www.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/platform-dev

Re: backporting and building?

Homer, Tony

>> OK, so you know that you also have to update Ant in your build?
I’m sorry, I don’t understand what you mean by this.

Tony

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Daniel Megert <[hidden email]>
Date: Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 9:30 AM
To: "Eclipse platform general developers list." <[hidden email]>

From:        "Homer, Tony" <[hidden email]>
To:        Eclipse platform general developers list. <[hidden email]>
Date:        07.06.2020 16:45

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Daniel Megert <[hidden email]>
Date:
Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 1:23 AM
To:
"Eclipse platform general developers list." <[hidden email]>
Re: [platform-dev] backporting and building?

Hi Tony

That commit only changes the Ant version in a test class. Is this really what you want to backport?

Dani

From:
"Homer, Tony" <[hidden email]>
To:
"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date:
06.06.2020 22:51
Subject:
[...]

Thanks for the guidance, Lars.

I started with a fresh repo and followed the instructions on https://wiki.eclipse.org/Platform-releng/Platform_Build#cloning_platform_source_tree (which I found linked to from the tutorial you linked).

git clone -b master --recursive git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/platform/eclipse.platform.releng.aggregator.git
cd eclipse.platform.releng.aggregator

Then I checked out a new branch based on R4_15:
git checkout -b R4_15 R4_15

Then I continued with the steps on the page:
git pull --recurse-submodules
git submodule update

Then I attempted to build eclipse.platform:
cd eclipse.platform
mvn -Pbuild-individual-bundles clean verify

I got an error:
[ERROR] Internal error: java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to load p2 repository with ID 'eclipse' from location https://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/4.15-I-builds: No repository found at https://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/4.15-I-builds. -> [Help 1]
org.apache.maven.InternalErrorException: Internal error: java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to load p2 repository with ID 'eclipse' from location https://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/4.15-I-builds

I understand this is because the I-build directory is not there anymore, but I was wondering if this is expected?
That is, is it expected that tagged builds will fail?

I think I know how to fix it: search for https://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/4.15-I-builds and replace with https://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/4.15/.
Is that correct?

Thanks!
Tony Homer

On 6/7/20 , 7:54 AM, "[hidden email] on behalf of Lars Vogel" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Hi Tony,

    individual repos can be built with the following command. See for
    example https://www.vogella.com/tutorials/EclipsePlatformDevelopment/article.html#eclipse-platform-hudson-builds

    mvn -Pbuild-individual-bundles clean verify

    Best regards, Lars

    On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 4:45 PM Homer, Tony <[hidden email]> wrote:

    > Hi Dani-
    >
    >
    >
    > Thanks for responding.
    >
    > Yes, updating to Ant 1.10.8 mitigates https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2020-1945, which is what I need to do.
    >
    >
    >
    > Tony Homer
    >
    >
    >
    > From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Daniel Megert <[hidden email]>
    > Date: Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 1:23 AM
    > To: "Eclipse platform general developers list." <[hidden email]>
    > Subject: Re: [platform-dev] backporting and building?
    >
    >
    >
    > Hi Tony
    >
    > That commit only changes the Ant version in a test class. Is this really what you want to backport?
    >
    > Dani
    >
    >
    >
    > From:        "Homer, Tony" <[hidden email]>
    > To:        "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
    > Date:        06.06.2020 22:51
    > Subject:        [EXTERNAL] [platform-dev] backporting and building?
    > Sent by:        [hidden email]
    >
    > ________________________________
    >
    >
    >
    > I have an RCP product that is currently building against 4.15 and due to release timing I cannot update to 4.16 until after the current release cycle.
    >
    >
    >
    > I’d like to backport this fix to 4.15:
    >
    > https://git.eclipse.org/c/platform/eclipse.platform.git/commit/?id=4a27c8ad20b921af8df9731037aa756d70d6875f
    >
    >
    >
    > Applying the patch is no problem, but I’ve never built platform before.
    >
    > I’m not sure if I need to check out all the repos or can just checkout one of them.
    >
    > I’m not sure what build command to use.
    >
    >
    >
    > I looked for instructions, but there are none listed on the developer resources page:
    >
    > https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/eclipse.platform/developer
    >
    >
    >
    > I also looked at ci and it helped with the build command, but I couldn’t work out what I need to do to setup my environment:
    >
    > https://ci.eclipse.org/linuxtools/job/linuxtools-master/142/console
    >
    >
    >
    > Is there a doc that explains which repos to checkout and what build command to use?
    >
    >
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Tony Homer_______________________________________________
    > platform-dev mailing list
    > [hidden email]
    > To unsubscribe from this list, visit https://www.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/platform-dev

    Eclipse Platform project co-lead
    CEO vogella GmbH

    Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
    Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
    USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
    Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web: http://www.vogella.com

Re: backporting and building?

Homer, Tony
FWIW, build succeeded after making the mentioned change.
Still just wondering if it is expected that such a change would be needed.

tony@tony-tower-bionic:~/spinny_mount/development/eclipse.platform.releng.aggregator$ git diff
diff --git a/eclipse-platform-parent/pom.xml b/eclipse-platform-parent/pom.xml
index 59d5eb53..f1149f54 100644
--- a/eclipse-platform-parent/pom.xml
+++ b/eclipse-platform-parent/pom.xml
@@ -89,9 +89,9 @@
       'eclipiserun-repo' repository, such as for computing .api-descriptions and
       generating API Tools reports.
     -->
-    <eclipserun-repo>https://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/4.15-I-builds/</eclipserun-repo>
+    <eclipserun-repo>https://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/4.15/</eclipserun-repo>

-    <comparator.repo>https://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/4.15-I-builds</comparator.repo>
+    <comparator.repo>https://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/4.15</comparator.repo>

     <!--
       NOTE: this EMF and ECF URL must match exactly what is in the eclipse-sdk-prereqs.target file.
@@ -635,7 +635,7 @@
           For maintenance streams should always be "M-builds".
           Ideally, this value would be provided by the environment, see bug 489789.
         -->
-        <eclipse-p2-repo.url>https://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/4.15-I-builds</eclipse-p2-repo.url>
+        <eclipse-p2-repo.url>https://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/4.15</eclipse-p2-repo.url>
       </properties>
       <repositories>
         <repository>

On 6/7/20 , 2:53 PM, "[hidden email] on behalf of Homer, Tony" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

        > I’d like to backport this fix to 4.15:
        >
        > https://git.eclipse.org/c/platform/eclipse.platform.git/commit/?id=4a27c8ad20b921af8df9731037aa756d70d6875f
        >
        >
        >
        > Applying the patch is no problem, but I’ve never built platform before.
        >
        > I’m not sure if I need to check out all the repos or can just checkout one of them.
        >
        > I’m not sure what build command to use.
        >
        >
        >
        > I looked for instructions, but there are none listed on the developer resources page:
        >
        > https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/eclipse.platform/developer
        >
        >
        >
        > I also looked at ci and it helped with the build command, but I couldn’t work out what I need to do to setup my environment:
        >
        > https://ci.eclipse.org/linuxtools/job/linuxtools-master/142/console
        >
        >
        >
        > Is there a doc that explains which repos to checkout and what build command to use?

Oh, I think I see what you mean now.

I will need to make Ant 1.10.8 available because it was not added to Orbit until later, so it will not be available to my build if I only cherry-pick the change I mentioned.

Thanks!

From: "Homer, Tony" <[hidden email]>
Date: Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 1:58 PM
To: "Eclipse platform general developers list." <[hidden email]>

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Daniel Megert <[hidden email]>
Date: Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 9:30 AM
To: "Eclipse platform general developers list." <[hidden email]>

From:        "Homer, Tony" <[hidden email]>
To:        Eclipse platform general developers list. <[hidden email]>
Date:        07.06.2020 16:45

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Daniel Megert <[hidden email]>
Date:
Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 1:23 AM
To:
"Eclipse platform general developers list." <[hidden email]>
Re: [platform-dev] backporting and building?

Hi Tony

That commit only changes the Ant version in a test class. Is this really what you want to backport?

Dani

From:
"Homer, Tony" <[hidden email]>
To:
"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date:
06.06.2020 22:51
Subject:
[...]

Christoph Läubrich
Just wondering:

You wrote that you are having a RCP application, won't it be easier to
simply patch the ant version in your final product?

Am 07.06.20 um 16:44 schrieb Homer, Tony:

> Hi Dani-
>
> Thanks for responding.
>
> Yes, updating to Ant 1.10.8 mitigates
> https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2020-1945, which is what I need to do.
>
> Tony Homer
>
> *From: *<[hidden email]> on behalf of Daniel Megert
> <[hidden email]>
> *Date: *Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 1:23 AM
> *To: *"Eclipse platform general developers list." <[hidden email]>
> *Subject: *Re: [platform-dev] backporting and building?
>
> Hi Tony
>
> That commit only changes the Ant version in a test class. Is this really
> what you want to backport?
>
> Dani
>

> From: "Homer, Tony" <[hidden email]>
> To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> Date: 06.06.2020 22:51
> Subject: [EXTERNAL] [platform-dev] backporting and building?
> Sent by: [hidden email]

> I have an RCP product that is currently building against 4.15 and due to
> release timing I cannot update to 4.16 until after the current release
> cycle.
>
> I’d like to backport this fix to 4.15:
>
> https://git.eclipse.org/c/platform/eclipse.platform.git/commit/?id=4a27c8ad20b921af8df9731037aa756d70d6875f
>
> Applying the patch is no problem, but I’ve never built platform before.
>
> I’m not sure if I need to check out all the repos or can just checkout
> one of them.
>
> I’m not sure what build command to use.
>
> I looked for instructions, but there are none listed on the developer
> resources page:
>
> https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/eclipse.platform/developer
>
> I also looked at ci and it helped with the build command, but I couldn’t
> work out what I need to do to setup my environment:
>
> https://ci.eclipse.org/linuxtools/job/linuxtools-master/142/console
>
> Is there a doc that explains which repos to checkout and what build
> command to use?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tony Homer_______________________________________________
> platform-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from this list, visit
> https://www.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/platform-dev

Re: backporting and building?

Jonah Graham
Hi Tony,

I suspect that in your original message you have the wrong link still - that may be the cause of some of the confusion that seems to be in this conversation. The commit you reference is a  change only to tests and I assume that you are not shipping tests nor really need to rerun them as part of your RCP application. The platform change that actually changes the version of Ant that is shipped is https://git.eclipse.org/r/163228 - along with some earlier updates that point at newer orbit URLs that include the new ant version.

If you are building your own app, your app probably has its own .target or equivalent in the pom file and in that file you can point at the new orbit (2020-06), along with the older platform (4.15) version. You may need some version constraints in your .product file to make sure that only the correct version of ant is included.

On to some of your other questions in case you have this or other reasons to rebuild the platform:

> Still just wondering if it is expected that such a change would be needed.

I think the change is needed as once a version of Eclipse is released its branch is left in a somewhat broken state because the I-build deps are deleted. It may be nice if the branches for completed versions were left in a buildable state, but that is not a priority for active developers, so someone would have to do that work. Please note that this problem exists whenever you want to build an older version of Eclipse. For example with the multi-repo builds of Eclipse it can be quite hard to build an old version of Eclipse to, for example, run git bisect to identify a problem. During development lots of old I-builds are left so that you can do that, but once a release is done those are removed.

PS. There are other members of the community who have the same underlying issue - ie using, maintaining/supporting older versions of Eclipse platform in their product. See this interesting discussion that Andrey started on this topic (https://www.eclipse.org/lists/platform-dev/msg02171.html) that resulted in this entry on the wiki (https://wiki.eclipse.org/Platform/How_to_Contribute#Contributing_to_maintenance_release_branches). It seems you, Andrey and others have similar issues to handle.

I hope the above helps. Let me know if I have misunderstood the direction you are aiming for.

Kichwa Coders
www.kichwacoders.com

On Mon, 8 Jun 2020 at 00:19, Christoph Läubrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just wondering:

You wrote that you are having a RCP application, won't it be easier to
simply patch the ant version in your final product?

Am 07.06.20 um 16:44 schrieb Homer, Tony:
> Hi Dani-
>
> Thanks for responding.
>
> Yes, updating to Ant 1.10.8 mitigates
> https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2020-1945, which is what I need to do.
>
> Tony Homer
>
> *From: *<[hidden email]> on behalf of Daniel Megert
> <[hidden email]>
> *Date: *Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 1:23 AM
> *To: *"Eclipse platform general developers list." <[hidden email]>
> *Subject: *Re: [platform-dev] backporting and building?
>
> Hi Tony
>
> That commit only changes the Ant version in a test class. Is this really
> what you want to backport?
>
> Dani
>

> From: "Homer, Tony" <[hidden email]>
> To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> Date: 06.06.2020 22:51
> Subject: [EXTERNAL] [platform-dev] backporting and building?
> Sent by: [hidden email]

> I have an RCP product that is currently building against 4.15 and due to
> release timing I cannot update to 4.16 until after the current release
> cycle.
>
> I’d like to backport this fix to 4.15:
>
> https://git.eclipse.org/c/platform/eclipse.platform.git/commit/?id=4a27c8ad20b921af8df9731037aa756d70d6875f
>
> Applying the patch is no problem, but I’ve never built platform before.
>
> I’m not sure if I need to check out all the repos or can just checkout
> one of them.
>
> I’m not sure what build command to use.
>
> I looked for instructions, but there are none listed on the developer
> resources page:
>
> https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/eclipse.platform/developer
>
> I also looked at ci and it helped with the build command, but I couldn’t
> work out what I need to do to setup my environment:
>
> https://ci.eclipse.org/linuxtools/job/linuxtools-master/142/console
>
> Is there a doc that explains which repos to checkout and what build
> command to use?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tony Homer_______________________________________________
> platform-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from this list, visit
> https://www.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/platform-dev

Re: backporting and building?

Homer, Tony
Hi Christoph-

Honestly, I hadn't thought of that.

I was trying to patch the build and I got an error:
[ERROR] Missing requirement: org.eclipse.platform.feature.group 4.15.0.v20200305-0155 requires 'org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu; org.apache.ant [1.10.7.v20190926-0324,1.10.7.v20190926-0324]' but it could not be found

I hadn’t tried just replacing org.apache.ant 1.10.7 with 1.10.8 in the product after the build was complete.
I guess that approach should work, is that what you mean?

I'll give it a try, thanks!
Tony

On 6/7/20 , 9:18 PM, "[hidden email] on behalf of Christoph Läubrich" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Just wondering:

    You wrote that you are having a RCP application, won't it be easier to
    simply patch the ant version in your final product?

    Am 07.06.20 um 16:44 schrieb Homer, Tony:
    > Hi Dani-
    >
    > Thanks for responding.
    >
    > Yes, updating to Ant 1.10.8 mitigates
    > https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2020-1945, which is what I need to do.
    >
    > Tony Homer
    >
    > *From: *<[hidden email]> on behalf of Daniel Megert
    > <[hidden email]>
    > *Date: *Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 1:23 AM
    > *To: *"Eclipse platform general developers list." <[hidden email]>
    > *Subject: *Re: [platform-dev] backporting and building?
    >
    > Hi Tony
    >
    > That commit only changes the Ant version in a test class. Is this really
    > what you want to backport?
    >
    > Dani
    >
    >
    >
    > From: "Homer, Tony" <[hidden email]>
    > To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
    > Date: 06.06.2020 22:51
    > Subject: [EXTERNAL] [platform-dev] backporting and building?
    > Sent by: [hidden email]

    > I have an RCP product that is currently building against 4.15 and due to
    > release timing I cannot update to 4.16 until after the current release
    > cycle.
    >
    > I’d like to backport this fix to 4.15:
    >
    > https://git.eclipse.org/c/platform/eclipse.platform.git/commit/?id=4a27c8ad20b921af8df9731037aa756d70d6875f
    >
    > Applying the patch is no problem, but I’ve never built platform before.
    >
    > I’m not sure if I need to check out all the repos or can just checkout
    > one of them.
    >
    > I’m not sure what build command to use.
    >
    > I looked for instructions, but there are none listed on the developer
    > resources page:
    >
    > https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/eclipse.platform/developer
    >
    > I also looked at ci and it helped with the build command, but I couldn’t
    > work out what I need to do to setup my environment:
    >
    > https://ci.eclipse.org/linuxtools/job/linuxtools-master/142/console
    >
    > Is there a doc that explains which repos to checkout and what build
    > command to use?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Tony Homer_______________________________________________
    > platform-dev mailing list
    > [hidden email]
    > To unsubscribe from this list, visit
    > https://www.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/platform-dev

Re: backporting and building?

Homer, Tony

Hi Jonah-

Thanks for the suggestions and clarifications.

Yes, I did have the wrong link – I only read the commit message and didn’t notice that the change was only for the tests.  After I realized that, I went ahead with my own changes in which I replaced all the instances of ant 1.10.7 with the 1.10.8.qualifier that is in Orbit for 2020-06.  So far I have not succeeded in completing a local build, but I haven’t spent that much time on it, yet.  I’m not sure if I should be building with Java 8 or Java 11 – I tried with both and had different problems with each.

>> If you are building your own app, your app probably has its own .target or equivalent in the pom file and in that file you can point at the new orbit (2020-06), along with the older platform (4.15) version.

I did try this, pretty much exactly as you suggest in my product’s target, but the exact version of ant is hard-coded in the platform feature, so my build failed:

[ERROR] Missing requirement: org.eclipse.platform.feature.group 4.15.0.v20200305-0155 requires 'org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu; org.apache.ant [1.10.7.v20190926-0324,1.10.7.v20190926-0324]' but it could not be found

Before I go back to attempting a local build, I’m going to try what I understand as Christoph Läubrich’s suggestion to just swap out the version of Ant after the build.  I’m not sure if the version requirements get checked at runtime, but it’s an easy thing to try.

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond!

Tony Homer

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Jonah Graham <[hidden email]>
Date: Monday, June 8, 2020 at 6:52 AM
To: "Eclipse platform general developers list." <[hidden email]>

> [...]

> cycle.
>
> I’d like to backport this fix to 4.15:
>
> https://git.eclipse.org/c/platform/eclipse.platform.git/commit/?id=4a27c8ad20b921af8df9731037aa756d70d6875f
>
> Applying the patch is no problem, but I’ve never built platform before.
>
> I’m not sure if I need to check out all the repos or can just checkout
> one of them.
>
> I’m not sure what build command to use.
>
> I looked for instructions, but there are none listed on the developer
> resources page:
>
> https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/eclipse.platform/developer
>
> I also looked at ci and it helped with the build command, but I couldn’t
> work out what I need to do to setup my environment:
>
> https://ci.eclipse.org/linuxtools/job/linuxtools-master/142/console
>
> Is there a doc that explains which repos to checkout and what build

No, it wasn’t what I wanted.  Thanks for pointing that out, Dani!  I have since made my own changes to make Platform 4.15 use Ant 1.10.8 rather than cherry-picking the several commits that have been made to do this.

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Daniel Megert <[hidden email]>
Date: Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 1:23 AM
To: "Eclipse platform general developers list." <[hidden email]>

From:        "Homer, Tony" <[hidden email]>
To:        "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date:        06.06.2020 22:51
Sent by:        [hidden email]

[...]

Ed Merks-2

Tony,

From a workspace with everything in it as produced by https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Platform_SDK_Provisioning I can see two references to org.apache.ant.

https://git.eclipse.org/c/pde/eclipse.pde.build.git/tree/org.eclipse.pde.build/feature/feature.xml
https://git.eclipse.org/c/platform/eclipse.platform.releng.git/tree/features/org.eclipse.platform-feature/feature.xml

If your application requires directly or indirectly these features, that would restrict the versions to the specific org.apache.ant version used when these features are built, and I'm pretty sure this is enforced at runtime, though not absolutely sure.  Certainly any attempts to do p2 updates will not be happy to find a feature's requirements missing.  But in the end, you do not necessarily need to include these features in your application.  E.g., you could copy the org.eclipse.platform-feature/feature.xml and use/require that copy instead.  In the future you could change the copy to include the org.eclipse.platform feature when it's using the newer version of  org.apache.ant that you require, or use this as an opportunity to

Regards,
Ed

From: [hidden email] on behalf of Jonah Graham [hidden email]
Date: Monday, June 8, 2020 at 6:52 AM
To: "Eclipse platform general developers list." [hidden email]

> [...]

> I also looked at ci and it helped with the build command, but I couldn’t
> work out what I need to do to setup my environment:
>
> https://ci.eclipse.org/linuxtools/job/linuxtools-master/142/console
>
> Is there a doc that explains which repos to checkout and what build
> command to use?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tony Homer_______________________________________________
> platform-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from this list, visit
> https://www.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/platform-dev

Re: backporting and building?

Christoph Läubrich
Hi Tony,

 > I hadn’t tried just replacing org.apache.ant 1.10.7 with 1.10.8 in the
 > product after the build was complete.
 > I guess that approach should work, is that what you mean?

Yes that's essentially what I mean. There are different options you
could check:

1) You product does not really need ant but pull it in as a transitive
dependency  -> you can simply delete the ant.jar after the build
2) Your product does not need ant, but some module reference it for code
you never run -> you can delete the ant.jar and patch the manifest of
the requiring bundle to have only optional dependency to ant
3) Ant is an essential part of your product -> you could replace the
ant.jar, patch manifest headers of references

All this will happen AFTER the actual build process is done.

Beside this you should make some kind of risk-analysis if your product
is really affected by this vulnerability. The CVE describes a (in my
opinion) relative hypothetical scenario:

1) You must run your app on a shared host with untrusted clients
2) All clients share the same temp-dir and have unlimied access to all
files placed there
3) builds run on a regular basis and the kind of builds allows an
attacker to actually inject usable code-parts

IMO the easiest way if someone suspects this as a valid attac-vector
(independent of ant or whatever tooling) is to configure default temp
directories to reside in a user-protected area. The same is true for
(possible) any shared area e.g. maven repository cache and so on...