is a whitespace change a change?

Stephan Herrmann-2
After removing trailing whitespace in JDT/Core several bundles are now
listed as having changes only in qualifiers [1].

I intentionally did not increase versions, because the resulting
artifacts should technically still be "the same".

Is that assumption wrong? Or is it OK to ignore the entry in the
repository log, as long as the comparator does not complain?

Am I reading the comparator logs [2] correctly as saying that all is fine?

thanks,
Stephan

[1]
https://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops4/I20200319-1800/buildlogs/reporeports/reports/versionChecks.html
go to "IUs in current repo that increase versions but with qualifier only"

[2]
https://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops4/I20200319-1800/buildlogs.php

Re: is a whitespace change a change?

Lars Vogel-2
Stephan,

AFAIK any "touch" to the bundle requires an increase of the service
segment version number.

Best regards, Lars

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 10:08 AM Stephan Herrmann
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> After removing trailing whitespace in JDT/Core several bundles are now
> listed as having changes only in qualifiers [1].
>
> I intentionally did not increase versions, because the resulting
> artifacts should technically still be "the same".
>
> Is that assumption wrong? Or is it OK to ignore the entry in the
> repository log, as long as the comparator does not complain?
>
> Am I reading the comparator logs [2] correctly as saying that all is fine?
>
> thanks,
> Stephan
>
> [1]
> https://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops4/I20200319-1800/buildlogs/reporeports/reports/versionChecks.html
> go to "IUs in current repo that increase versions but with qualifier only"
>
> [2]
> https://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops4/I20200319-1800/buildlogs.php

Eclipse Platform project co-lead
CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: [hidden email], Web: http://www.vogella.com

Re: is a whitespace change a change?

Mickael Istria-5
Hi Stephan,

Indeed, if there are visible change in the output, including source bundle or line numbers info (which are affected by whitespace changes), the you need to increase bump the version by +0.0.100 even if it doesn't bring new features or bugfix.
So yes, from Git and from our delivery POV, a whitespace change is a change.

Re: is a whitespace change a change?

Stephan Herrmann-2

Thanks Lars & Mickael,

I'm still curious to learn if I'm reading the comparator logs correctly: I need to be sure that the resulting class files have not change at all (the change should preserve even line numbers!).

Stephan

On 20.03.20 10:37, Mickael Istria wrote:
Hi Stephan,

Indeed, if there are visible change in the output, including source bundle or line numbers info (which are affected by whitespace changes), the you need to increase bump the version by +0.0.100 even if it doesn't bring new features or bugfix.
So yes, from Git and from our delivery POV, a whitespace change is a change.

Re: is a whitespace change a change?

Daniel Megert
Hi Stephan

Are the binary files with only whitespace changes different? If so, I presume the comparator is smart enough to ignore that. The repository report looks at all files, not just class files.

As mentioned by Mickael and Lars, the service segment has to be increased.

Dani

From:        Stephan Herrmann <[hidden email]>
To:        [hidden email]
Date:        20.03.2020 10:42
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: [platform-releng-dev] is a whitespace change a change?
Sent by:        [hidden email]

Thanks Lars & Mickael,
I'm still curious to learn if I'm reading the comparator logs correctly: I need to be sure that the resulting class files have not change at all (the change should preserve even line numbers!).
Stephan
On 20.03.20 10:37, Mickael Istria wrote:
Hi Stephan,

Indeed, if there are visible change in the output, including source bundle or line numbers info (which are affected by whitespace changes), the you need to increase bump the version by +0.0.100 even if it doesn't bring new features or bugfix.
So yes, from Git and from our delivery POV, a whitespace change is a change.

Re: is a whitespace change a change?

Jonah Graham
Hi Mat,

The qualifier will be bumped AIUI - but then we have two bundles with the same MAJOR.MINOR.SERVICE and only different qualifiers - that is why the service segment needs a bump too, but only once per release.

Kichwa Coders
www.kichwacoders.com

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 10:05, Mat Booth <[hidden email]> wrote:
Doesn't the qualifier increase come from tycho-buildtimestamp-jgit? AIUI any change to a file that is not excluded by the "jgit.ignore" property will cause the qualifier to be bumped: https://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/Reproducible_Version_Qualifiers

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 10:04, Daniel Megert <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Stephan

Are the binary files with only whitespace changes different? If so, I presume the comparator is smart enough to ignore that. The repository report looks at all files, not just class files.

As mentioned by Mickael and Lars, the service segment has to be increased.

Dani

Re: is a whitespace change a change?

Stephan Herrmann-2

I do understand that the service segment has to be increased. I just don't have the time right now to do that change.

As to the question: "Are the binary files with only whitespace changes different?"

I can't and won't answer this (change is far to big to manually check this).

By contrast I was asking you, if one of the reports answers this question for me, to give additional safety for this huge change. Call me paranoid as not 100% trusting the remove whitespace cleanup :)

I'm less worried about how I can help the reports to get green, but about how the reports can help me.

Is my question clearer now?

 Stephan