Quantcast

jenkins test environment

Jesper Eskilson-5

​Hi,

I'm attempting to write some automated tests which use CMake, and I was wondering which (if any) assumptions I can make about the Jenkins test environment. More specifically, can I expect "cmake" to be installed? gcc? Ninja?

I guess this also raises the question of whether or not CDT can bundle CMake or not.

/Jesper

Re: jenkins test environment

Doug Schaefer-3
Ideally, to test the CDT, you should probably be mocking out system dependencies. It’ll be hard to ensure a consistent environment from machine to machine.

Doug.

Re: jenkins test environment

Jesper Eskilson-5

Ok.

Btw, how does the rest of the test system deal with things that require e.g. a compiler?

/Jesper​

Ideally, to test the CDT, you should probably be mocking out system dependencies. It’ll be hard to ensure a consistent environment from machine to machine.

Doug.

Re: jenkins test environment

Martin Weber
Am Montag, 3. April 2017, 14:58:52 schrieb Jesper Eskilson:
> ?Hi,
>

> I'm attempting to write some automated tests which use CMake, and I was
> wondering which (if any) assumptions I can make about the Jenkins test
> environment. More specifically, can I expect "cmake" to be installed? gcc?

The cmake plugin <https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/CMake+Plugin>
allows to download and install cmake on demand.
See <https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Global+Configuration>

Martin

--
Cd wrttn wtht vwls s mch trsr.

Re: jenkins test environment

Hi Jesper,

I am not sure what is best plan to address getting cmake on build
machine, or if that is even necessary. So I will try to answer the
other part of your questions.

I have had trouble in the past with things like gcc versions. The
tests just use gcc on the path. Until the recent(ish) upgrade to the
HIPPs that meant we had a much older gcc than expected. The DSF-GDB
tests have a workaround because gcc doesn't support the flags [1].
For GDB it is necessary to test against numerous actual GDBs, so there
is a script to build them all[2]. These gdbs are then available in the
tests, with specific CI jobs that run against all of them[3]
Additionally there is a job that tests current master CDT against
current master GDB[4].

[1] http://git.eclipse.org/c/cdt/org.eclipse.cdt.git/tree/dsf-gdb/org.eclipse.cdt.tests.dsf.gdb/data/launch/src/Makefile?id=936daa337b74e79b9ee90ebeafb6d1b64db31340#n35
[2] http://git.eclipse.org/c/cdt/org.eclipse.cdt.git/tree/dsf-gdb/org.eclipse.cdt.tests.dsf.gdb/scripts/download-build-gdb.sh
[3] https://ci.eclipse.org/cdt/job/debug-tests-master-all-gdb-versions/
[4] https://ci.eclipse.org/cdt/job/debug-tests-master-gdb-master/

HTH

Kichwa Coders Ltd.
www.kichwacoders.com

On 3 April 2017 at 16:27, Jesper Eskilson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok.
>

> Btw, how does the rest of the test system deal with things that require e.g.
> a compiler?
>

> /Jesper
>

> ________________________________

Ok, thanks.

I would like to be able to use JUnit assumptions to run tests using a real CMake if there is one, but let the test be gracefully skipped if CMake cannot be found. I don't think I will need gcc or gdb.

/Jesper

I am not sure what is best plan to address getting cmake on build
machine, or if that is even necessary. So I will try to answer the
other part of your questions.

I have had trouble in the past with things like gcc versions. The
tests just use gcc on the path. Until the recent(ish) upgrade to the
HIPPs that meant we had a much older gcc than expected. The DSF-GDB
tests have a workaround because gcc doesn't support the flags [1].
For GDB it is necessary to test against numerous actual GDBs, so there
is a script to build them all[2]. These gdbs are then available in the
tests, with specific CI jobs that run against all of them[3]
Additionally there is a job that tests current master CDT against
current master GDB[4].

[1] http://git.eclipse.org/c/cdt/org.eclipse.cdt.git/tree/dsf-gdb/org.eclipse.cdt.tests.dsf.gdb/data/launch/src/Makefile?id=936daa337b74e79b9ee90ebeafb6d1b64db31340#n35
[2] http://git.eclipse.org/c/cdt/org.eclipse.cdt.git/tree/dsf-gdb/org.eclipse.cdt.tests.dsf.gdb/scripts/download-build-gdb.sh
[3] https://ci.eclipse.org/cdt/job/debug-tests-master-all-gdb-versions/
[4] https://ci.eclipse.org/cdt/job/debug-tests-master-gdb-master/

HTH

Kichwa Coders Ltd.
www.kichwacoders.com

On 3 April 2017 at 16:27, Jesper Eskilson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok.
>

> Btw, how does the rest of the test system deal with things that require e.g.
> a compiler?
>

> /Jesper
>

> ________________________________

The question wasn't about how to setup Hudson to install CMake, but rather how the existing test environment looks like. I'd prefer not to have to venture into the area of configuring the Hudson setup. :)

/Jesper
Am Montag, 3. April 2017, 14:58:52 schrieb Jesper Eskilson:
> ?Hi,
>

> I'm attempting to write some automated tests which use CMake, and I was
> wondering which (if any) assumptions I can make about the Jenkins test
> environment. More specifically, can I expect "cmake" to be installed? gcc?

The cmake plugin <https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/CMake+Plugin>
allows to download and install cmake on demand.
See <https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Global+Configuration>

Martin

--
Cd wrttn wtht vwls s mch trsr.

Re: jenkins test environment

Jonah Graham
Hi Jesper,

To find out how the existing HIPP looks, I recommend creating a
temporary job and doing "cmake --version", etc as the shell commands.

HTH

Kichwa Coders Ltd.
www.kichwacoders.com

I pushed a new test plugin, org.eclipse.cdt.cmake.core.tests (see https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/94349/), but it isn't being run by Hudson. What do I need to do to hook up a new test plugin?

/Jesper

To find out how the existing HIPP looks, I recommend creating a
temporary job and doing "cmake --version", etc as the shell commands.

HTH

Kichwa Coders Ltd.
www.kichwacoders.com

On 4 April 2017 at 07:50, Jesper Eskilson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The question wasn't about how to setup Hudson to install CMake, but rather how the existing test environment looks like. I'd prefer not to have to venture into the area of configuring the Hudson setup. :)
>
> /Jesper

Marc-André Laperle

It needs to be listed in build/pom.xml then it should be good.

Marc-André