Quantcast

org.xbill.dns

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

org.xbill.dns

Scott Lewis-2
Hi Markus,

According to this bug:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=515241 it seems that the
org.xbill.dns Orbit bundle...upon which our dnssd implementation
depends...imports classes from the sun.* namespace.   Unfortunately,
with Java 9 this breaks.

What do you recommend we do about this?  I think we need to do something
about it prior to Oxygen (with final scheduled maintenance release for
ECF at beginning of May), as Java 9 support is intended.

Thanks,

Scott


_______________________________________________
ecf-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe from this list, visit
https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/ecf-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: DNS-SD discovery provider - org.xbill.dns dependency

Markus Alexander Kuppe-3
On 14.04.2017 16:44, Scott Lewis wrote:
> According to this bug:
> https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=515241 it seems that the
> org.xbill.dns Orbit bundle...upon which our dnssd implementation
> depends...imports classes from the sun.* namespace.   Unfortunately,
> with Java 9 this breaks.
>
> What do you recommend we do about this?  I think we need to do something
> about it prior to Oxygen (with final scheduled maintenance release for
> ECF at beginning of May), as Java 9 support is intended.

Hi Scott,

given my own commitments, I'm afraid this is one where the community has
to step in. Otherwise, we will probably have to remove dns-sd from the
ECF distribution if Java 9 compatibility is a hard requirement (although
I don't understand why we would want to effectively break < Java 9
consumers). First somebody needs to find out though, if dns-sd triggers
the affected codepaths. We might just be lucky.

Iff dns-sd indeed triggers the codepaths, the two biggest challenges I
see are:

- Getting upstream (dnsjava project) to add Java 9 compatibility.
- Get the new upstream version CQ'ed in time.

Cheers
Markus

_______________________________________________
ecf-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe from this list, visit
https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/ecf-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: DNS-SD discovery provider - org.xbill.dns dependency

Scott Lewis-2
On 4/14/2017 3:05 PM, Markus Alexander Kuppe wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> given my own commitments, I'm afraid this is one where the community has
> to step in. Otherwise, we will probably have to remove dns-sd from the
> ECF distribution if Java 9 compatibility is a hard requirement (although
> I don't understand why we would want to effectively break < Java 9
> consumers).

I don't think it is/can be, but I'll check it out.

> First somebody needs to find out though, if dns-sd triggers
> the affected codepaths. We might just be lucky.

Any suggestions about how to do/try that?

>
> Iff dns-sd indeed triggers the codepaths, the two biggest challenges I
> see are:
>
> - Getting upstream (dnsjava project) to add Java 9 compatibility.
> - Get the new upstream version CQ'ed in time.

I've sent an email to Brian Wellington.   First we will see what he
says.  The references to the sun.net seems perhaps to be only one
interface, and so maybe this won't be a huge/insurmountable change.

Scott


_______________________________________________
ecf-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe from this list, visit
https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/ecf-dev
Loading...